How do I keep a mob spawner active without being near it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

milocricket

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to keep a blaze spawner active for a machine, but I cannot stand near it constantly. Is there some way to keep a mob spawner active without a player?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to keep a blaze spawner active for a machine, but I cannot stand near it constantly. Is there some way to keep a mob spawner active without a player?

no, a vanilla spawner only spawns mobs if a player is near it. however, you can use other mods to spawn mobs, like Soul Shards and Minefactory Reloaded. they can spawn mobs even if you're not close to it, except you've to keep the spawners chunloaded

Reactions: angelnc

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind that mobs despawn if a player isn't nearby. Even though a tier 5 soul shard spawner (for eg) will always spawn mobs, they'll be deleted from the world as soon as they pop in if there're no players in range.

Granted that range is a lot further then you're stuck with using vanilla spawners, but ultimately a mob farm needs a player at least logged in to work.

Or maybe not. I've a vague memory that a quirk of alternate dimensions lets you get around this, but I'm not sure of the particulars.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I've a vague memory that a quirk of alternate dimensions lets you get around this, but I'm not sure of the particulars.

Thats correct. Player-mob distance can only be calculated if theres a player in the same dimension, if there is not the distance rule is skipped and the mob wont instantly despawn.

Reactions: Bomb Bloke

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Thats correct. Player-mob distance can only be calculated if theres a player in the same dimension, if there is not the distance rule is skipped and the mob wont instantly despawn.

Which is why we put most of our constant operation mob farms in their own age, where nobody ever goes. Was very annoying the first time I started working with stuff like that in the overworld only to have it mysteriously break when I got X distance away, even with it chunkloaded. :)

LoanOfDeath

Jul 29, 2019
no, a vanilla spawner only spawns mobs if a player is near it. however, you can use other mods to spawn mobs, like Soul Shards and Minefactory Reloaded. they can spawn mobs even if you're not close to it, except you've to keep the spawners chunloaded

What do you mean that MFR lets the spawners spawn mobs, do you mean that if you have MFR installed the spawners work?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean that MFR lets the spawners spawn mobs, do you mean that if you have MFR installed the spawners work?

No,you have to build an MFR autospawner, the mod doesnt change the vanilla mechanic.

If you want to use a vanilla spawner put it on a block of cursed earth, this will let it spawn even when you arent nearby

nice necro btw

Reactions: SpitefulFox