My Problem with Minecraft Recently

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Derails aside it's clear that enough people understand the better solution is to do something that is not Minecraft when you're sick of Minecraft. Gamers tend to get stuck in some pretty deep ruts where they identify with one game and expect that one game to hold their interest indefinitely. That's just the slow road to misery, and recognizing that you're burnt out on a game but still trying to find new angles to keep it interesting just compounds the problem. There's a point in the burn-out cycle where you're just bored with what you're doing. Keep going with it and all of a sudden little things that don't matter start to make you very unhappy. Before you know it you've talked yourself into hating the game but you'll still stick with it for 6 months before you finally flip out and "quit". It's just not healthy, and if you're not careful you can talk yourself into hating something that you might once again enjoy in the future if you just gave yourself a break and went and enjoyed something else for a while.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Enigmius1 (always enjoy your videos by the way, some of them really helped me). I think I sort of de-railed the OP's thread here. It doesn't seem like the OP was burned out, but after my post it sorta turned into a burnout thread.

I would LOVE to go play another game while my burnout subsides... but I just don't find any other games that I like. I guess nobody can help me with that problem, since a lot of the games people seem to like are not appealing to me. I dislike violence (i.e. FPS) and so many games are violence-based in some way or other. GTA V? Ugh. I play a little bit of Planetside2 sometimes even tho it has violence because I can play a role like medic or engineer and avoid it for the most part. But PS2 gets boring very quickly since it's nothing but an endless back and forth tug of war with no real goal or purpose.

Can anyone suggest any games that YOU think are similar to minecraft? I did watch Etho's Letsplay for that new hunger game, but I also read reviews that said it will get boring after a while, so I passed on it.

I'm probably derailing this thread even further, but it seems people are willing to offer good suggestions.

Oh, and I think a big part of my problem is that my attention span is very short (I don't call it ADD but it's like that I guess). Minecraft has literally been the one game that I can play for hours (12 or more) every day. Wonder why I get burned out? Try playing 16 hours a day for 2 months straight. I've done it a few times now and burned out massively both times. What a shock eh? hahaha

Narcisism

Jul 29, 2019
My problem is NOT that I got burned out. That did happen, but then I took a break and now I want to play Minecraft, but I have trouble getting through the beginning bits xD I've solved it by playing on a server, though, with the Resonant Rise pack.

kharis

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you could try the stanley parable just out on steam. Looks like a good time filler.
There is also 7 days to die currently in alpha but I feel its more of a survival game than a sandbox and I gor bored after a few days.
I might start frkm scratch on the server I play on. Gonna be hard to resist using the infinite energy and resources from my main base though

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Since I'm still learning, what I do is allow limited cheats. Meaning, I turn off world instability and spawn a 17x dense ore world.

All the vanilla resources I want, but I have to go get them. If I depend on being conservative with creative mode, I end up just cheating in machines :p.

If I do something dumb, like accidentally waste a ton of resources crafting the wrong machine, I will cheat in the resources to build the right thing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@asb3pe: Try out Galactic Civilizations 2. You can play with violence or win economically or Culturally. It's pretty awesomely fun. Perhaps also Planescape Torment. It's older, but there's very little combat involved.

Phicksur

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get around it. Basically, my problem is that I simply can't get started. I get bored EXTREMELY quickly with mining and the other beginning stuff. I just want to skip to the point where I have automated mining stuff. I like dealing with limited resources, so I don't use creative mode, but I hate how long it takes me to START doing stuff. I always feel like I don't have direction with that. It's part of why I play challenge maps like FTB: I have a clear-cut goal, limited resources, and I don't have to mine after the first cobble gen. It's basically everything I could want EXCEPT the proper base-building.

So what do you do to get yourself through the first tedious days in Minecraft? I need some advice :/

I made a new modpack myself.

It is using 1.6.2, so I can't release it on the FTB Launcher (still waiting to hear it's updated), but I have released it on the ATLauncher which does allow modpacks using 1.6.2.

Mining is no longer boring because my Explorer's modpack adds in spawners randomly in the stone (so you could be mining and suddenly have zombies spawn right next to you), there are 'Monster Egg' blocks spread out far more frequently so silverfish are a real danger while mining, and surviving the first night is a challenge with the addition of boss mobs, and numerous additional mobs you have never encountered before (like elementals).

The Overworld itself has more stuff, like AtomicStryker's Battle Towers, Ruins, Shipwrecks, as well as a lot of visual improvements that can be turned off if your machine can't handle them.

I also modified some recipes to increase difficulty, like vanilla tools can't be crafted so you have to use Tinker's Construct. Vanilla armors better than leather cannot be crafted at all so you have to go hunting for armor from mobs or chests or find certain extra-dimensional armors that provide protection equivalent to iron armor. Iron ingots cannot be smelted in a furnace, so you have to either build a smeltery or go hunting for ingots in chests. Soft Hardcore makes it so every death makes you weaker, until you can get enough gold together to 'regrow' your missing hearts.

So, either making your own modpack or trying out something new and more challenging is my recommendation.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I got burned out recently and started making my own mod, not because I thought I would have a polished, finished product, but to force myself to learn Minecraft, Forge, and brush off my very dusty Java skills. I then downloaded the Buildcraft code and starting tinkering with that. I at least have a *much* better understanding of the way Minecraft works, Forge works, Buildcraft specifically works, and the basics of how any mod has to work. Client rendering, for example, is not trivial and I have a lot of respect for rendering-heaving mods like Thaumcraft 4. I can only imagine how much effort went into the new Infusion Altar.

After that, I put together my 1.6.4 server with a mod-pack I made for me and my buddy and have been playing that the last couple of weeks.

Whenever I eventually got bored with Minecraft, there will be no shortage of other, fun stuff to do. But, for now, Minecraft is a great sandbox to play in ;-)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@asb3pe: Try out Galactic Civilizations 2. You can play with violence or win economically or Culturally. It's pretty awesomely fun. Perhaps also Planescape Torment. It's older, but there's very little combat involved.

LOL. I *loved* Planescape Torment. I will never forget the floating skull Morte following me around. That's a great, timeless game. The Baldur's Gate series that uses that same Bioware Infinity engine is also a great use of time.

Reactions: Mero