How do you erase a bugged item from a player's inventory?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a Single Player world where I am testing out various mods, and I've run across a pretty simple.. but rather save-killing... type of bug. I slapped Bibliocraft's "Reading" buff onto a Helmet I was wearing then glanced over at a machine from another Mod (Mekanism I think). As soon as I did that, BOOM CRASH.

Now the save is stuck in a loop, as soon as I wind it up it recrashes as I'm still staring at the machine. Is there a way to kill that single helmet item in my player inventory file?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Open your player.dat with a NBT editor, find the item, and delete it.

The problem I am having is identifying the item with an NBT Editor. I'm not sure what Slot # is the 'Head' equipment slot. Do you know where I can find this info?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So I use NBTExplorer, go into the Save folder in particular.. and find my player subsection. I navigate to Inventory.. find the item in SLOT 103.. then erase that whole item / section. Save the changes.. load up the save and it still crashes. So I go back into NBTExplorer and.. all of my changes are reverted?

I have done this routine three times now, making sure my changes are saved and then 'refreshing content from disk' to triple check. Still .. load up the save in game and all my changes get reverted. What am I missing?

SuperLuigi10

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. To double check a few things, try erasing your entire inventory, or your entire player.dat, just to make sure you are deleting the correct item.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. To double check a few things, try erasing your entire inventory, or your entire player.dat, just to make sure you are deleting the correct item.

I have actually moved the player.dat file OUT of the save directory entirely.. then loaded up the save. Get in, and everything is fine.. no items / inventory lost.. no location reset. Nada. It is like there is a backup being swapped in when I make a change or something.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I think this has to do with how minecraft now works always in a server... Once something similar happened to me, to solve it i logged in with another account, in offline mode, and then mined the block i was spawning on (it was a block that made u bounce) and then logged in again and.. Poof! Everything's ok :D