Max MJ power from MFR treefarm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start my games of with a small to medium size tree farm using MFR planter and harvester. This time around I decided to take it to the extreme and see how much power i can get from a fully upgraded planter and harvester which is a 25 x 25 farm of oak trees.

Oak Blocks turned into charcoal by powered furnaces runs 2 36 HP Full Steam Boilers which power 36 Industrial steam engines producing 8 Mj/tick each; 288 MJ/Tick total

Apples harvested are squeezed to make fruit juice and mulch. The Saplings are converted into biofeul and then ethanol. The furit juice in used to increase production.

This poweres 26 combustion engine at 4 MJ/tick total 104Mj/tick

Total power output 392Mj/Tick
Charges a Empty Redstone Cell in under 48 seconds. I think I still add More.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I'm running a 15 x 15 oak farm with 1 fertilizer block and two opposing harvesters covering the same area, and it's powering 10 max size HP boilers with charcoal and producing a small surplus of wood.

I'm using power converters and the total sustained output is 864 MJ/t and 1400 eu/t. It peaks 2000 eu/t when the power converter buffers are not depleted.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
What's the noise/sound like with that setup ? The last time I did an MFR farm, it sounded violent and cool what with wood being harvested and leaves being broken. I could *hear* my power being made.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
you could get a lot more boilers going with a full size farm like that. I've got 2 full size farms and one 21x21 and I run 12 boilers with it right now, and still produce an extra 1mil wood every other day (I need more steam ovens to cook it).

Right now running 216 Steam Engines, producing 1,728 mj/t, I say you could probably get 6, maybe 7, boilers going on one max size farm...unfertilized

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Fertilized is insane. Unless you have an enormous cow ranch, the sewer-->composter couldn't keep up with the fertilizer, but it doesn't have to be constantly fertilized to realize a huge fertilizer multiplier.

Heck, a 3x3 MFR Oak Tree farm that stays fertilized and harvested constantly is just...godly. It can run many, many 36HP boilers. I remember a while back someone was doing this and had maybe 10+ boilers running off it. I'll have to verify sometime.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have a single sapling MFR tree farm running off fertilizer, and I am running 4 - 36HP boilers off it. 2 are running off charcoal directly. 1 is running off the leaf blocks which get converted into plant balls and turned into biomass, then biofuel, and the last is running off the creosote produced by 50 coke ovens.

I actually have two harvesters connected by the output (and inverted output) of an AE level emitter that automatically switches the harvester used when the saplings fall below a set level. (One harvester is set normal, the other is set to harvest leaf blocks.)

I'm actually producing more biofuel than I need, so I could probably run at least 1 more boiler off of it without issue.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Is the Fertilizer kept full ? The MFR Fertilizer is incredibly fast.

Yes. It works just fine. I have my sewer under my animal pens and using a range upgrade on the sewer. I probably have about 2 dozen animals or so in the pens.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If the way harvesters work is correct from what I've been told, it's theoretically possible for a single harvester to harvest multiple farms. Supposedly it cuts one block, then looks in a huge radius for more.

Of course, at full size, there's little reason not to use multiple harvesters in the same area. Say, four harvesters pushing into an LP network, set to send saplings to the planter, and leaves through autocrafting tables, or cyclic assemblers, to make plant balls.

Plus you might be more efficient burning your Ethanol in Liquid-fueled Boilers.

Ausyarr

Jul 29, 2019
Mine does not have a mfr fertilizer. I want to see how far a self sustaining system will go. I don't know if I can get a self sustaining fertilizer going.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
tactic to fertilizer is to use multiple sewers. Keep them (range / 2 + 1) apart to avoid shut down.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I didn't go for max size (chunk loading reasons), but 2x bronze upgraded farms (2x15x15 of oak- just under the 25x25 you used), I was running 18x36HP easily on just the planks.
-The sawdust-> charcoal could run another 2 boilers. (didnt bother mind)
Apples were squeezed for fruit juice and mulch, then cutting the biomass through the GT distillation tower (it's INSANE- 1 tower running at full moo will make a stupid amount of biofuel- tree farm couldn't keep up)

I did run the numbers through the RC calculator- you're looking at a theoretical max of around 60x36HP [20 solid 40 liquid] if you can keep the distil tower fed.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6.2 MFR version i connected MFSU with harvester and it drained max amount of EU. Also i connected Ender IO energy cell (250k MJ) and it drained even more. I think it's a bug because in 1.5.2 from redstone cell it didn't drain that fast. But i think that you can make 2 biggest farms and have millions of charcoal and feed it to 6 36HP boilers.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6.2 MFR version i connected MFSU with harvester and it drained max amount of EU. Also i connected Ender IO energy cell (250k MJ) and it drained even more. I think it's a bug because in 1.5.2 from redstone cell it didn't drain that fast. But i think that you can make 2 biggest farms and have millions of charcoal and feed it to 6 36HP boilers.
i see no bug here. in 1.4.7 harvester had a limit on power usage and thus speed. it seems that in 1.5.2 and above that limit is no more, which made external power buffers useless except as input throttle.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
J01bfELh.jpg

9kHyElih.png

Ghost Diamond

Jul 29, 2019
Plus using a sawmill on wood logs gives better efficiency on fuel level(9 items burned instead of 8), if wanting charcoal, burning logs in coke oven gives extra creosote for a 2*2*2 LP boiler. Steam is best used in Big Reactors turbines(requires 1.6.4 or higher versions while this post is ancient) to create over 10 RF for every mB of steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.