1.6 IC2 Nuclear Stuff

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Some things I have found about 1.6 Nuclear Stuff (Updating as I find more) using my Minimalist Modpack:

To summarize: Components are cheaper, and complexity has increased

1) There is now Plutonium (Unobtainable AFAIK)

2) 4 types of uranium: Uranium 235, Uranium 238, Enriched Uranium Fuel, MOX Nuclear Fuel

3) Uranium 235 Small Pile (1/9th)

4) Fuel rods are now made in a Canning Machine

5) Canning Machine crashes when you put in the empty cells / UF-C (inb4 Dire Cheating In Nuclear Cells)

6) New MOX Fuel cells (dual / quad)

7) MOX is no different in Lifespan and Output than Uranium (EDIT: Dire said smt about power output increases w/ heat. I'd never find that out with my super safe 6 chamber setup >.>)

8) Quad and dual Depleted Cells added for MOX & Uranium (No use for depleted cells afaik)

9) All fuel rods now Stack (64) (In inventories other than the reactor)

10) Uranium Ore Block now drops the silk touched version (More Uranium 4 U!)

11) Uranium Ore Block can must be put through macerator / ore washing plant / therm centrif to get Usable Uranium

12) You get a whopping 5 Uranium 238 and 2 Small piles of Uranium 235 per Pure Crush Uranium Ore. Double that for 1 Uranium Ore Block.

13) Nearly everything with uranium in it will give you radiation debuff w/o hazmat suit if its in your inventory

14) RTG Accepts "Pellets of RTG Fuel"

15) RTG Generates 1 ~ 6 EU/t (?) depending on how much fuel is in it

16) RTG Fuel does not degrade over time (lasts forever), but require Plutonium to make.

17) Depleted cell -> Isotopes -> Uranium Cell is gone. period.

18) Heating Cells are gone

19) 100% chance to get depleted Uranium now (yey)

20) Its now (4 single fuel rods -> 1 Quad && 2 single fuel rods -> 1 Dual, No more (2 duals -> 1 Quad))

21) Duals now take 1 iron, and quads now take 2 copper and 3 iron (Considerably cheaper)

Reactions: netchip

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Way to go. Complicate something that was already not worth the effort of doing when it was pretty simple.

The problem with nukes isnt complexity but resource scarcity and renewability. it sounds like theyve increased fuel per uranium block by a factor of 5-10, as well as added a renewable reactor option (powered from radioactive isotope heat like deep space satellites). Sounds good to me!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
These new attempts to revive IC2 are interesting though. I have no real comments right now, but it seems like they're going in a good direction. Though they are complicating things a bit, I feel like the added challenge should make it more worth it than not. The changes aren't unnecessarily complicating things, rather they are increasing the realism to which IC2 simulates how things happen IRL.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with nukes isnt complexity but resource scarcity and renewability. it sounds like theyve increased fuel per uranium block by a factor of 5-10, as well as added a renewable reactor option (powered from radioactive isotope heat like deep space satellites). Sounds good to me!

Radioactive bees still supplied more uranium than I could ever use :/

And the problem with the Uranium now is that you need Enriched Uranium Fuel. Which is a 6:3 ratio of Ura-238 and small pile of Ura-235. The ratio you get from processing 1 Uranium Ore Block is 2.5:1. Slight imbalance.

TL;DR: you will have excess Ura-238 That AFAIK doesn't have any real use (except MOX cells, but then you're dependent on plutonium)

EDIT: I'm surprised Rorax could automate her nuke. Are they using some private IC2 Experimental build that fixed the canning machine crash?

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Radioactive bees still supplied more uranium than I could ever use :/

And the problem with the Uranium now is that you need Enriched Uranium Fuel. Which is a 6:3 ratio of Ura-238 and small pile of Ura-235. The ratio you get from processing 1 Uranium Ore Block is 2.5:1. Slight imbalance.

TL;DR: you will have excess Ura-238 That AFAIK doesn't have any real use (except MOX cells, but then you're dependent on plutonium)

Ah, foot in mouth then. I haven't looked at the changes in detail so I was assuming the new isotopes were used in a 1:1 fashion.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Looks like ic2 nuclear stuff is going sort of in the direction of ue atomic science, which is good.
you use atomic science? If you don't mind me asking, what resources did you use for referencing how to do stuff in atomic science or for ampz in general?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Oh good, they got rid of the ridiculous copper costs for quad uranium cells. Needing half a stack of copper per quad cell was one of the reasons I just gave up entirely on nuclear power. Now if they've made heating vents and such less expensive, I might get back into trying out nukes.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Good to see my favourite part about my favourite mod is being updated :) The MOX fuel seems interesting, though without heating cells i'm not sure how to make best use of it. Its just a shame that now you get less actual fuel from each uranium ore seeing as each pieve of uranium fuel requires 6 lumps of uranium 238 and 3 tiny lumps of uranium 235 to make. Still, if you get depleted cells 100% of the time it shouldn't be so bad.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Breeders were effectively killed with the removal of heating cells, making the depleted cells nearly worthless.

Additional complexity and inconvenience added to be able to perform the most simple of tasks, including simply making the cells. And Canning Machines can't even be OC'd. This is pretty much the death of nuclear as a viable system. I'm NOT going to wait ten minutes just to make the nuclear material so I can generate a pathetic amount of EU. Unless they want to triple or quadruple the amount of EU produced by nuclear, it is now a completely non-viable option at this point.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
It seems Forgecraft 1 is using a very old version of IC2 Experimental judging from the GUI of the canning machine.

Got to dig up this version in Jenkins brb.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I have to disagree... the interest in ic2 was dead to begin with.
For people who enjoy non-linear game play yes. GT, and now the changes to vanilla IC2 are appealing to linear game players. People who like or need directed objectives to complete. It is frustrating to non-linear game players because they want multiple options to solve problems. Non-linear players don't want to be trapped into one mod and forced to use it in only one way to get to a pre-determined goal.

I don't know which camp is in the majority, but it's clear that the devs updating IC2 are completely linear players.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Breeders were effectively killed with the removal of heating cells, making the depleted cells nearly worthless.

Additional complexity and inconvenience added to be able to perform the most simple of tasks, including simply making the cells. And Canning Machines can't even be OC'd. This is pretty much the death of nuclear as a viable system. I'm NOT going to wait ten minutes just to make the nuclear material so I can generate a pathetic amount of EU. Unless they want to triple or quadruple the amount of EU produced by nuclear, it is now a completely non-viable option at this point.
A few months old thread, but i must say that i disagree. It took me a ton of resources to make 5 mv-solar panels, which only produce 320 EU/t at daytime. ME network consumes over 130 EU/t, IC2 machines, Laser drills, UU-matter fabrication cost a ton of power. Just a single 6-chamber reactor that uses 12 dual-uranium cells can produce 360 EU/t, and you can fully automate it, i did. (You can use itemducts to put in uranium cells, and draw out depleted ones)

Breeders are thing of the past, you can now put depleted uranium in Thermal centrifuge, and you get 8 uranium back from depleted dual cell, in addition to plutonium. You can choose to use plutonium or not, to make and use MOX reactor or RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator) for slow but infinite power. Anyway, you can convert 1 normal uranium into 9 tiny pile of uranium when needed, to enrich the depleted uranium. You get tiny pile from Thermal Centrifuge normally, but you'll be needing it a little more than that 1:3 ratio.

All in all it's very complex though, and you do need all 4 pieces of Hazmat suit to be protected from radiation. Might be a bug but nanosuit helm and boots didn't count, you need also rubber boots and scuba helm. Just carrying anything radiactive in inventory will cause a debuff that will kill you in about 8 seconds.

edit: Correction, centrifuged purified uranium and depleted ones produce same Uranium 238 used in the enrichment. Seems like you can't make tiny piles from it, you need freshly mined ores still. Other than that, 8 uranium produced from depleted dual is more than 6 just a little less than 12 uranium originally used in making it.

Last edited:

Splash

Jul 29, 2019
So actually tiny piles of uranium are only available through the usable uranium making process? is it a bug or a feature? :)

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
So actually tiny piles of uranium are only available through the usable uranium making process? is it a bug or a feature? :)
I asked this later in IC2 forums, and it seems that it's a feature. You need keep making and using MOX fuel cells to rid of Uranium 238.They can be burned at same rate as normal uranium fuel using 0 heat reactors, but if you want to go advanced, it has potential to much higher energy if you manage the heat levels.