Support site/forum

Which medium should we use for support?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I said both. QueWhat outlined really well what I feel - the user base (forums) should be the first line of support because, frankly, they are usually faster and generally accurate. But there should also be an organized knowledge base and a group of semi-official support people able to condense the large number of duplicate questions into a manageable form, mostly for people who are willing to do some research before asking their question.

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like forums are a much better way to communicate. If I have a problem I usually look on the forums to see if people have similar problems. Since most people are here anyways, they will be more likely to see what other people are dealing with. I didn't even know the other thing existed until this was posted.

beringtom

Jul 29, 2019
I for one is unsure if bugs in mods should be posted here aswell?
There seems to be a trend to post everything in here.
Are we supposed to post mods problems?, and are the modders aware bugs are reported here? :)

I can see that QueWhat sure got a handle on what he wants, and it seems to be a logical choice to look into "his way" ;)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
As the top poster there, I am a big supporter of the Support site. A system where login is the same between forum and the site would be a big help.

I feel that the support site is the way to go, although it could use improvement. But I will continue to answer bug reports regardless of where they are.

1time

Jul 29, 2019
Forums are good for discussions and a lot of chit chat.
the solid purpose of the support site (Q&A) is to have a straight forward Answer to your questions!
Anything related to Support must be on the same place, under dif categories, this could easily happen into your Q&A site.

That's why we call them Q&A support sites, what people dont like is the multiple logins! the Login system must be unified in all FTB related services.

Proper use of the Q&A site will be proven to be the right choice, just give it time and you will see.

My 2 cents.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Forums are good for discussions and a lot of chit chat.
the solid purpose of the support site (Q&A) is to have a straight forward Answer to your questions!
Anything related to Support must be on the same place, under dif categories, this could easily happen into your Q&A site.

That's why we call them Q&A support sites, what people dont like is the multiple logins! the Login system must be unified in all FTB related services.

Proper use of the Q&A site will be proven to be the right choice, just give it time and you will see.

My 2 cents.
I agree I just wanted to see if people actually like the support site before I spend however long getting it to work with the forum login

Reactions: 1time

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I think this vote was an excellent idea. The community has shown a genuine interest as over 100 votes have been registered so far. Whichever way this goes, it is an achievement nonetheless. I believe others in the community would agree with me in saying that we are all thankfull for the opportunity to express our opinions and vote.

PS: I made you look at this really hard to read text because you thought it would contain some sort of spicy message, but nope there is nothing here at all. Me 1 You 0.

Reactions: macks2008 and 1time

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I think this vote was an excellent idea. The community has shown a genuine interest as over 100 votes have been registered so far. Whichever way this goes, it is an achievement nonetheless. I believe others would agree with me in saying that we are all thankfull for the opportunity to express our opinions and vote.

PS: I made you look at this really hard to read text because you thought it would contain some sort of spicy message, but nope there is nothing here at all. Me 1 You 0.
I agree, and your earlier post sums up how many of us feel. Very well written :)

Also, no you didn't. ;)

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
The forums. Things are enough of an unnecessary, complicated mess already without having to worry about using another site for tech support.
The forums worked just fine.

PS: Kudos on finally including the community's opinion on something. I respect that.

Reactions: russjr08

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
New reason for preferring the forums: holy crap the lack of information.
I keep trying to help people on the support site. So many people provide little or no information, and they aren't even posting IN THE BODY OF THE POST.

I've been facedesking a lot today.
Then there's posts like this one. I'm sorry, but people like that make me want to kick puppies.
Simple math: do work=get results. Do no work=get no results.
Also, can be considered a simple logic lesson.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I keep trying to help people on the support site. So many people provide little or no information, and they aren't even posting IN THE BODY OF THE POST.

Then there's posts like this one. I'm sorry, but people like that make me want to kick puppies.
LOL! That's the funniest thing I have ever seen besides Tekkit.

P.S. To all you stupid people out there (you know who you are), I meant the link, not the post.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
LOL! That's the funniest thing I have ever seen besides Tekkit.

P.S. To all you stupid people out there (you know who you are), I meant the link, not the post.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have never had guessed.

Also, what's funny about Tekkit?

I love you for this.
No. Really.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
Also, what's funny about Tekkit?
picard-facepalm.jpg

Airlag

Jul 29, 2019
I know that forums are old-fashioned, but in my opinion they are still the best for asynchronous public communication.
You can search through them (although most users don't)
Forums offer private threads for developer discussions only.
Admins can ban trolls and they can close or merge double threads.
You can describe everything as good as you can, and add screenchots and the like.
I know that other platforms offer all that too. There are some platforms that are specialized on bug reports and bug tracking but unfortunately I don't know even one that any random user can use properly on first sight. Most of these tools are too complex and at the same time they are too tense to be able to handle every possible case that occurs on error reporting and bug fixing. (I know what I'm talking about, I currently work in 2nd level support)
Finally, one place to look for new bugs (by developers) or known bugs (by users) is better than two or more places, therefore I didn't vote for 'both'

Wild1145

Jul 29, 2019
I have sent Rob and Slowpoke a message Regarding a ticket system, along with a knowledge base and a live support system, i think this would be better!

Status
Not open for further replies.