Windows .exe [Win7] Lag spike every second in client when hosting FTB Unleashed server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoullessWaffle

Jul 29, 2019
Hello.

I am getting severe lag spikes around every second when hosting a FTB Unleashed server and playing in the client.
I've attached some screenshots with FPS and lagometer views of the problem.

For the client:
I've downloaded FTB Launcher and the Unleashed pack, I have installed Optifine 1.5.2 HD U D5.
When I try to play the game, everything launches properly but when I go ingame I get a massive lag spike every second.
I've tried changing every single setting in optifine and default minecraft around, but that doesn't affect the lag at all.
I've tried removing optifine, but that also does not affect the lag.
I've tried launching a default mod-less minecraft (no FTB) but I still get the lag.

For the server:
I downloaded the FTB Unleashed server pack
I added some people to whitelist and OPs
In server.properties I only modified: whitelist to true, difficulty to 2, max-players to 10 and MOTD to "Welcome to SoullessWaffle's FTB Unleashed Server"
I then launched the server via the unmodified .bat file

I do not get this in any other game (can run every game on ultra without problems) so my PC *should* be able to handle minecraft + server just fine (specs below)
If i stop the server, I am able to play FTB Unleashed without any lag.
I am also able to host a normal minecraft server and play at the same time without any lag.

Obligatory bug post template:
FTB Launcher version: 1.2.6
Minecraft Version: 1.5.2
Java version: Version 7 Update 25
Detailed description of the issue / how can the issue be recreated:
1. Do a clean install of FTB Unleashed
2. Download Optifine 1.5.2 HD U D5 and put it in instMods folder
3. Start FTB Unleashed and Server (single or multiplayer mode in client doesn't matter)
4. Lag ensues
5. ???
6. No profit.
Error logs: Not applicable
Specifications:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz48 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 (CPUSocket)41 °C
Graphics
PL2377 (1920x1080@60Hz)
DELL 1704FPT (1280x1024@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives
2795GB ATA ST3000DM001-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)32 °C
747GB ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker SCSI Disk Device (bVirtual)
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B5ST SCSI CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 SCSI CdRom Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Server GUI screenshot: http://gyazo.com/4a02930726ce3dcc03ae9011c2e2e438.png
Any ideas?
-SoullessWaffle

Attachments

• 2013-08-30_16.02.11.png
    2013-08-30_16.02.11.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2013-08-30_16.02.40.png
    2013-08-30_16.02.40.png
    362.8 KB · Views: 32

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
You're running both the server and the client from the same PC?
Java is already resource intensive, you're going to have performance issues doing both at once. Add mods to the mix and you're asking for even more lag.
Using your Vanilla server it may not be as apparent since it's vanilla.

SoullessWaffle

Jul 29, 2019
You're running both the server and the client from the same PC?
Java is already resource intensive, you're going to have performance issues doing both at once. Add mods to the mix and you're asking for even more lag.
Using your Vanilla server it may not be as apparent since it's vanilla.
Thanks for your reply :)
I am, yes.
While that does seem to be the case, I'm a bit surprised that it would happen (or indeed be this apparent) on a PC with these specs.
I took a screenshot of Process Hacker's System Information view while running the server and client (and a couple irrelevant programs, e.g. chrome): http://s12.postimg.org/4y7zrc6yl/FTB_Server_Lag_But_No_High_Stats.png
If you look at that you see that my CPU is somewhat stable at around 30%, this confuses me a little, because that's not what the lag spikes would suggest (way higher CPU use)
My RAM is a flat 50% (as expected when running server+client+1.5gb of chrome tabs ;))
(Before you might ask, chrome is not the issue; I've tried playing without chrome and the lag spikes are still there)
You can also see one of those I/O spikes I mentioned earlier, though they don't coincide with the FTB lag spikes, so they're probably inconsequential.
My GPU percentage is stable at around 13%.

If I were to judge from the system information data and lag spikes alone, I'd say the FTB client (perhaps server as well) is not taking the resources it needs to run smoothly, while they are most certainly available.
So, if we were to say that that is indeed the problem, perhaps there lies a solution in somehow telling it to use more, if this is possible?
I know I can give the client more RAM through the launcher, and the server through the .bat file, but RAM does not seem to be the issue... Is there a way to give them more CPU headroom?
EDIT: I can indeed confirm that RAM is not the issue, I just tried launching the client with 4GB of ram (instead of the default 1GB) and there is no change whatsoever in the lag spikes.
-SoullessWaffle

SoullessWaffle

Jul 29, 2019
Update: I seem to be able to minimize the issue by changing FTB's (javaw.exe's) priority to above normal or high.
Normal priority:
2013-08-31_13.47.47.png

Above Normal priority:
2013-08-31_13.48.17.png

High priority:
2013-08-31_13.48.56.png

But although I have not yet tested the following; I presume that this will choke the server a bit and cause more server-side lag.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
While that does seem to be the case, I'm a bit surprised that it would happen (or indeed be this apparent) on a PC with these specs.

Sadly, even if you were using that system only to run the server, you would still experience lag.
This is (simply) due to how Java works, and the amount of mods that are on the server.
The former being why you would experience some lag with a vanilla server. The latter is why you don't see as much lag on a vanilla server.

SoullessWaffle

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, even if you were using that system only to run the server, you would still experience lag.
This is (simply) due to how Java works, and the amount of mods that are on the server.
The former being why you would experience some lag with a vanilla server. The latter is why you don't see as much lag on a vanilla server.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.