Is Harvester Slow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
JSsogUH.jpg

Hey guys, this is my self-sufficient boiler set-up. Why isn't my harvester cutting down my melons and pumpkins? Or it's cutting at a really slow rate. I have a diamond upgrade inside, and they're hooked up to my steam turbine.

Ah, it seems changing from diamond upgrade to tin upgrade fixed the problem, thanks guys!

And also, what do you guys think of my boiler set up? Pretty sweet i would say, I am not taking any credit for the design tho, just made some improvements to it!

I probably need to add another boiler since my bio-reactor is spitting out seeds.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The harvester is checking every block withing it's 9x9 radius. It'll even check the empty spaces and the spaces where the melon/pumpkin stem is. For those blocks no action occurs. That might be the down time you are experiencing as the harvester does not look for something that's grow and harvests it, rather it checks every single block within its range, systematically and performs an action if its valid to do so.

Erywin

Jul 29, 2019
Your problem isn't the harvester, it is the upgrade you put in it. You only have a 9x9 farm for each but put in a diamond upgrade. Try downgrading it to a tin one, that should fix the problem.

Long version is what namiasdf explained but it with a diamond upgrade it is searching a 9+9+3 area or a 21x21 block area in front of it. A Tin upgrade will do exactly 9x9 as it upgrades the radius not the diameter of the harvester. So with a Tin upgrade it would be 3+3+3 = 9x9 area. You have to add the 3 from the upgrade in there twice in order to get the right size. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
E

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh, missed the diamond part. Yeah it's checking the entire range. I'm not sure what the diamond upgrade is, but it far exceeds the 81 blocks you have there.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
you guys are awesome!! tin-upgrade works much better.
I guess in this case, bigger isn't better lol:eek:

Reactions: Anderson

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Also because of your texture pack it's hard to tell what energy pipes you're using. Why you would use BC energy when you clearly have TE available is beyond me, but its very possible your current setup is throttling power.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean BC and TE? I am quite new to FTB lol (5 day playing), still don't know my ropes.
I use the fabricators to make seeds, 2 layer for melon and 1 layer for pumpkin. Then they get transferred to bio reactor, and then my boiler. Seems pretty simple?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Also because of your texture pack it's hard to tell what energy pipes you're using. Why you would use BC energy when you clearly have TE available is beyond me, but its very possible your current setup is throttling power.
He's using glass fiber(The turbines to the left).

Boundary

Jul 29, 2019
looks like EU cabling for power to the harvesters, bc transport pipes are removing the items.

edit... and everyones faster than me lol

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
The way MFR searches for stuff to do with harvesters/planters/etc is that it basically searches linearly through an array of locations. It does this at the same speed regardless of how big the array is. So for a default array that's 3x3, that's 9 places to check. If it does that at 1 spot per tick, it'll do the entire thing in .45 seconds. Each upgrade denotes the value the RADIUS is increased. This means that instead of a 3x3 becoming a 4x4 with a 1 radius increase, it becomes a 5x5! So now instead of taking .45 seconds, it'll take close to 1.25. An emerald upgraded planter will plant a 25x25, checking 625 spots and taking 31.25 seconds (still assuming its checking 1 spot per tick) to make a single pass through the area (planting in 4 chunks). So really, make sure you use the appropriate upgrade for the job. Just because it says upgrade doesn't mean its going to be better for what you're trying to do.

If you want harvesting as fast as possible, you can divide up the area of your farm into 3x3's and harvest them separately.

Reactions: Anderson

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
As an aside if you're using pumpkins and melons I would say it'd be better to put them on IC2 crop sticks(The harvester can harvest them and they require no re-planting). The only downside is you get whole melons in addition to slices.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
The way MFR searches for stuff to do with harvesters/planters/etc is that it basically searches linearly through an array of locations. It does this at the same speed regardless of how big the array is. So for a default array that's 3x3, that's 9 places to check. If it does that at 1 spot per tick, it'll do the entire thing in .45 seconds. Each upgrade denotes the value the RADIUS is increased. This means that instead of a 3x3 becoming a 4x4 with a 1 radius increase, it becomes a 5x5! So now instead of taking .45 seconds, it'll take close to 1.25. An emerald upgraded planter will plant a 25x25, checking 625 spots and taking 31.25 seconds (still assuming its checking 1 spot per tick) to make a single pass through the area (planting in 4 chunks). So really, make sure you use the appropriate upgrade for the job. Just because it says upgrade doesn't mean its going to be better for what you're trying to do.

If you want harvesting as fast as possible, you can divide up the area of your farm into 3x3's and harvest them separately.

Doesn't it actually do a check every 5 ticks only (or 4 blocks per second)? Then even with the matching upgrade, it would still take 20 seconds to do a complete pass over a 9x9 field.

Erywin

Jul 29, 2019
you guys are awesome!! tin-upgrade works much better.
I guess in this case, bigger isn't better lol:eek:

Glad that fixed your problem. I haven't done the math on it but I have heard that it is usually better to use more harvesters/farms with MFR because of the way they check for growth. I can't wait for 1.6 to get Xycraft back!

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't it actually do a check every 5 ticks only (or 4 blocks per second)? Then even with the matching upgrade, it would still take 20 seconds to do a complete pass over a 9x9 field.

I haven't timed it or examined the code. I simply picked a number that would be easy to follow for the purposes of explaining the process as I have observed it. If it checks every 5 ticks, just multiply every number referring to time/ticks in the post by 5 :)