Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wildc4rd

Jan 29, 2013
Quick question on centrifuges. Am I able to pipe in hydrogen and deuterium to make deuterium and tritium respectively? No problem extracting with cells (and adding empty ones), just working with liquids on the input side works better for my build.
Repost, on the off chance it was just missed

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Most machines that run on EU also blow up if they are given too much.
The only exception I know of is the Electric Engine from Forestry, that does who knows what with the extra EU it recieves.
(If someone knows that one, go for that as well. Does it buffer the extra and use it, or just waste it?)

Your question touches on the mechanics of how the IC2 e-net works. And it doesn't work like you think it does ;)

When a machine is said t be able to accept a certain amount of EU/t, in 99% of the cases that's a misnomer and should be written as EU/p. As in, EU packet size. The electric engine doesn't care about the packet size it receives. However, that doesn't make any statement about actual EU going into it.

The e-net works like a client-server network. The client (the electric engine) says, in a random example, "Send me the 100 EU I need to top off my internal buffer". The server can be any e-net component capable of sending packets. Let's assume a MFE. It receives the request for EU, and examines the request size: 100 EU. But the MFE can only send packets sized 128 EU. Therefore it does nothing.

One tick later, the electric engine (consuming 6 EU/t) will then ask for 106 EU to top itself off. The tick after that, 112. Then 118. Then 124. Then 130. Aha! The MFE says, "130? I can do that!" And sends one packet sized 128 EU. The electric engine receives it, and one tick later, it asks for 8 EU (2 were not topped off, plus six for one tick of operation). Then 14. Then 20. And so on, until something in the e-net can once again send a packet.

It's difficult to say what exactly happens if you hook up an eletric engine to a HV transformer outputting 2048 EU/p. I don't know how the engine works internally, I don't think I've ever used one. The first instinct would be to say an internal buffer of at least 2048 EU, but the engine is able to handle an arbitrary packet size, and the buffer can't be arbitrarily sized. Or can it? Maybe the engine requests a single packet of "whatever you can throw at me", buffers it, consumes it fully and then asks for another. But that would have to be tested.

Back on the electric engines... what causes them to overheat?
Is it just running time or does it have something to do with the actual work load it is applied against?

Your question touches on the mechanics of how the Buildcraft power framework works. (Deja vu? ;))

A Buildcraft compatible engine generates MJ every tick, but only outputs in bursts when the piston reaches the apex of its stroke. Some engines can try to transfer between 100 and 200 MJ with each burst, and not every Buildcraft compatible device can accept that much at once (some examples of burst input limits: Pump, 10 MJ; Refinery, 25 MJ; Redstone Energy Cell, 1-100 MJ; Quarry, 25-500 MJ; Redstone Conduit, 1000 MJ). The energy that cannot be transferred in that burst remains in the engine and fills up the internal buffer, causing the engine to change colors and stroke faster (exception: combustion engines scale by temperature, not internal energy). A faster stroke speed means smaller bursts are sent more often, which is a way to try and overcome the input limit of the receiver. However, if you attach the wrong engine to the wrong thing, at some point it may hit 100% on the internal buffer and what happens then depends entirely on the engine in question.

(Electric engines won't explode, but it's possible that they shut off and enter a long forced cooldown, or need to be broken/replaced, or manually fixed in some other way.)

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to access the hardened form of construction foam without placing and waiting to dry? I cannot find it in NEI, using "pick block" on a dried foam gives me undried foam etc.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to access the hardened form of construction foam without placing and waiting to dry? I cannot find it in NEI, using "pick block" on a dried foam gives me undried foam etc.

You can instantly dry construction foam by rightclicking it with sand (consumes the sand).

I think GregTech added some kind of tool that can do the same, back when it implemented spraycans.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
You can instantly dry construction foam by rightclicking it with sand (consumes the sand).

I think GregTech added some kind of tool that can do the same, back when it implemented spraycans.
Oh. I didn't know that. Good to know! (Still won't solve my issue unfortunately; want to know the item ID so I can create a superflat world covered in it :3)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you might be able to create a superflat world with the foam version, and starting in creative mode, activate flight and go afk for half an hour while hovering above it so it can dry. As you go about your business later-on, new chunks loaded at the edge of your loaded area will dry up as they get generated and loaded; only if you have to move a large distance at once it becomes a problem.

For further inquiries you'll probably have to try the IC2 forum, or one of the devs on twitter.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You need a machine called a Woodworker.

When you see it, you will understand why there are no recipes ;)

Unium

Jul 29, 2019
Steve Carts 2: How can i take only seeds and wheat from a cargo manager without taking also the coal. I mean, i need to use pipes for that, but wich pipes or gates should i use?

Mathemusician

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if anyone posted this. I tried doing a quick skim through all 271 pages, but it is absolutely possible I am posting something already answered. If so, I am sorry. Kill the gibbon instead. He ate my lunch.

Anyway, my e-mail is currently filled with alerts. I don't mind the alerts I get on the forum, but I don't like having them constantly being shoved into my inbox. Is there any way I can turn off the e-mail alerts without turning them off on the forum? I've been trying and all I have gotten is either both still happen or both turn off. Can I turn off one and not the other?

This gibbon is really annoying.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Steve Carts 2: How can i take only seeds and wheat from a cargo manager without taking also the coal. I mean, i need to use pipes for that, but wich pipes or gates should i use?
Emerald pipe configured for the seeds and wheat can do the job. But it will take one seed, one wheat, one seed, one wheat, ... If the seeds are gone, but wheat is still left, it will stop.
Other option: Use properly configured translocators to drain the seeds and wheat into another chest, which can then be normally pumped empty.[DOUBLEPOST=1376419102][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not sure if anyone posted this. I tried doing a quick skim through all 271 pages, but it is absolutely possible I am posting something already answered. If so, I am sorry. Kill the gibbon instead. He ate my lunch.

Anyway, my e-mail is currently filled with alerts. I don't mind the alerts I get on the forum, but I don't like having them constantly being shoved into my inbox. Is there any way I can turn off the e-mail alerts without turning them off on the forum? I've been trying and all I have gotten is either both still happen or both turn off. Can I turn off one and not the other?

This gibbon is really annoying.
Go to your account page.
Under "Contact Details", I have the checkbox disabled "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"
Under "Preferences", I have the checkbox disabled "and receive email notifications of replies"
Under "Alert Preferences" everything is checked

Mathemusician

Jul 29, 2019
Go to your account page.
Under "Contact Details", I have the checkbox disabled "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"
Under "Preferences", I have the checkbox disabled "and receive email notifications of replies"
Under "Alert Preferences" everything is checked
I already had it like that yesterday and I still got an e-mail.

McGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone having problems loading FTB Unleashed? When I try to load mine I keep getting a crashlog
PeecSN0.png

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to mine 14 chunks with a turtle and not get a single diamond? Im thinking this is fairly impossible, and somethign is wrong with the turtle. Anyone think its possible to mine out that much and not get a single diamond?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Question: How much EU/t can MFR machines take?

According to the MFR thread and the FTBwiki, they only accept up to Medium Voltage, but I just tested them in singleplayer by hooking them up to HV and EV power lines and they seemed to take the power just fine.

Back on the electric engines... what causes them to overheat?
Is it just running time or does it have something to do with the actual work load it is applied against?

As Omicron mentioned above, Electric Engines heat up as they produce more power without any place to send it. If the Electric Engine stores up too much power, it overheats and goes into a Forced Cooldown mode where it doesn't output anything and just wastes power until it gets back down to a reasonable level.

I already had it like that yesterday and I still got an e-mail.
Go to your Watched Threads list and go to view all of them. Select every checkbox for all the threads and select "Stop Receiving Email Notifications" from the dropdown menu.
Is anyone having problems loading FTB Unleashed? When I try to load mine I keep getting a crashlog
Try posting an actual crashlog in the support section instead of just giving us a picture of one.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to mine 14 chunks with a turtle and not get a single diamond? Im thinking this is fairly impossible, and somethign is wrong with the turtle. Anyone think its possible to mine out that much and not get a single diamond?

Quite simply yes it's possible, but very unlikely.

I think the average rate of diamonds is one per chunk? but as you might know, they come in veins, so this means there's many chunks without diamonds too. So, it's possible that you've just mined the wrong chunks, statistically unlikely, but possible.

However, it would also be worth checking your code to make sure it's emptying its inventory enough, because if it's not, it may be mining through the diamonds and not actually picking them up, thus leaving you with no diamonds.

LeQwasd

Jul 29, 2019
Good old trick with forgotten linked linking book from mystcraft. I had it QQ. it just wasnt linked :( Seems like deleting player file doesnt work anymore. How do i get EASY out of age?