IC2 Miner powering issues

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys!
I was trying to set up a Miner but I run into some problem... I have three (!) Geothermal Generators connected to a BatBox whitch is connected to the Miner and the Pump.
Miner works well until because of something I don't know the Diamond Drill in the Miner starts to use all its power and the Generators obivously don't produce enough energy to hold the drill charged... Are three Geothermal G. too few? Or what I'm dooing false?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
i usually slap an adv. solar panel on, an MFE, a LV transformer.
let it all charge up, it runs to bedrock no problem.
most of the miners power does go to charging the drill.
you just need a bigger energy supply. the fact that it runs fine for a while, then quits, is the key here.
it will still run when the batbox runs dry, but now its limited by the input, so slows to a crawl.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
A diamond drill + OV scanner combo should consume no more than maybe 25 EU/t, which means even two geothermals should easily be enough.

Of course, with all current IC2 builds being barely-tested development versions (because the original author has been missing for over a year and the helpers have their own mods to maintain), it's possible that something is bugged, or changed without documentation. They did change the miner to have a bigger area recently. Maybe that came together with increased power draw.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
Batbox is throttling your input.
Geo gen. outputs 20eu/t, so 3 of them is 60eu/t
Batbox outputs 32eu/t.
So, connect miner directly to geo gen.s (and they don't waste energy like nornal gen.)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't change the fact that the miner should not consume more than the batbox outputs unless something has changed without documentation OR something is bugged. ;)

Which build of IC2 are you running, oNDa88? I think I may have spotted something in the changelog that may or may not be related.

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
Tryed to connect the geo gens directly but no change.
The geo gens are also not working constantly maybe because not more energy is needed? But Dia Drill charge a bit (maybe 60 EU) and go to 0 EU instantly and that very fast.
The IC2 version of FTB Unleashed: industrialcraft-2_1.116.364-lf
Now i must go away but later I can upload a picture^^

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, use an EU-reader to determine what the EU/t consumption rate of the miner is. i.e. Right click on the miner itself, twice, with each click separated for about 2 seconds to get a good average.

1. If EU/t > 32 EU/t && < 40 EU/t (In between 32 and 40), then you will either need to connect the geothermals directly or add another batbox, parallel to the first. This will allow for a max of 64 EU/t throughput from the geothermals to your miner.

2. If EU/t < 32 EU/t, then there is some unknown problem. Geothermals produce 20 EU/t on lava. You are producing 40 EU/t with two of them.

3. If EU/t > 40 EU/t, then you will need more EU production as well as increasing your throughput via point (1). This means adding more geothermals.

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
ehm the eu-reader only shows me how much eu the miner gets...
attached at 3 geo gens it gets aprox. 56 EU/t and at batbox 32 EU/t

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, we want to know the consumption rate of the miner, compare it to your production values and then come to a conclusion based on teh results.

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
what consumption rate? eu reader doesn't show consuption. it only shows how much the miner gets. if i connect to batbox it gets 32eu/t and if i connect to 3 geo.gens it gets 60eu/t.

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
miner.png

drill.png

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
isnt that the one that needs mining pipes? i cant see under your tooltip and cant remember clearly.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The IC2 version of FTB Unleashed: industrialcraft-2_1.116.364-lf

The changelog for IC2 build #392 (the same one that expands the Miner to cover a larger area) reads: "fix miner energy consumption". So you might indeed be seeing a bug that got fixed later-on.

Unfortunately the later IC2 builds are also buggy in other regards, some of them have serious issues even getting the e-net running at all =/ That's probably why Unleashed uses an older build.

oNDa88

Jul 29, 2019
oh, ok so they are buggy... too bad. now i have to use quarry which makes big ugly holes :/

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Two options I've considered:

1. Quarry in the ocean. Unless you really care about that ocean bed, it's unnoticeable.

2. Some people use fillers. It could be a good way to get rid of all that cobble, though you will net negative in terms of filling materials. You may have to run igneous extruders to make up for that.