Tinkers Construct good starting tools

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, it's spelled Manyullyn, not Mannyllium XD. Another option is to have Manyullyn Head/Obsidian Binding/Manyullyn Rod combination with Two Moss, One Silky, And Speed for the rest. It's great for long mining trips because you have (I think) 5x the durability of a Cobalt/Obsidian/Manyullyn pickaxe, so you won't run out of durability during the trip and you won't run out of inventory space because all of the ores are being silk touched. Additionally, I think the extra speed modifier you get for using Silky over Auto-Smelt+Luck makes it on par with Cobalt's speed. And, when you get back home you can toss the ores into a Pulverizer setup for the 5% extra ingots/ Use another pickaxe with fortune 3 to get maximum drops just like the Cobalt pickaxe.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Lol, it's spelled Manyullyn, not Mannyllium XD. Another option is to have Manyullyn Head/Obsidian Binding/Manyullyn Rod combination with Two Moss, One Silky, And Speed for the rest.
You get better end-result returns from auto-smelting + Fortune3. You end up with something like 2.5 ingots per ore on average, and Fortune3 beats out any sort of multiplier you get from Silk Touching in most cases. Also, count how many modifiers you already have on that pick. You've already run out, which means you'll need a diamond and a gold block to throw another one on for Speed, and if you want a second speed, you'll need to throw a Nether Star at it. Rather expensive, when you can get the same speed out of a Cobalt head.
It's great for long mining trips because you have (I think) 5x the durability of a Cobalt/Obsidian/Manyullyn pickaxe, so you won't run out of durability during the trip and you won't run out of inventory space because all of the ores are being silk touched.
You'll still run out of inventory space, it'll just take marginally longer. Assuming you don't have an EnderBag sending materials straight to your home base. Furthermore, you're going to run out of inventory space LONG before you run out of pick. And if you put an Electric upgrade on it, then you can just recharge it when you get back to base. It doesn't save you anything.
Additionally, I think the extra speed modifier you get for using Silky over Auto-Smelt+Luck makes it on par with Cobalt's speed. And, when you get back home you can toss the ores into a Pulverizer setup for the 5% extra ingots/ Use another pickaxe with fortune 3 to get maximum drops just like the Cobalt pickaxe.
You don't get an extra speed modifier by putting silk touch on it, and you will get more returns out of Fortune + Auto-Smelt than you will out of pulverizing.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
You get better end-result returns from auto-smelting + Fortune3. You end up with something like 2.5 ingots per ore on average, and Fortune3 beats out any sort of multiplier you get from Silk Touching in most cases. Also, count how many modifiers you already have on that pick. You've already run out, which means you'll need a diamond and a gold block to throw another one on for Speed, and if you want a second speed, you'll need to throw a Nether Star at it. Rather expensive, when you can get the same speed out of a Cobalt head.You'll still run out of inventory space, it'll just take marginally longer. Assuming you don't have an EnderBag sending materials straight to your home base. Furthermore, you're going to run out of inventory space LONG before you run out of pick. And if you put an Electric upgrade on it, then you can just recharge it when you get back to base. It doesn't save you anything. You don't get an extra speed modifier by putting silk touch on it, and you will get more returns out of Fortune + Auto-Smelt than you will out of pulverizing.
I usually toss a diamond and gold block into my picks, but I know some people like to go all out and use and nether star and some just don't like to use anything, so I just put "Speed for the rest" to mean for whatever amount of extra modifiers you like to add. I actually had no idea that Luck affected ores, I thought it just affected Vanilla Fortune 3 stuff even when paired with Auto-Smelt, so I guess I was sort of talking about a moot point :/. My apologies. What I meant by extra speed from Silky vs Luck+Auto Smelt was that the former only takes up one modifier, leaving room for a Speed modifier, but again, I didn't know about the Luck thing, so there is no point in that. I also guess that there is also a mod difference as you mention running out of space quicker and the Electric modifier. The only mod ores I have (that I can think of atm) are Copper, Tin, Lead (Which I don't mine), Silver (Which I don't mine), and Ferrous and I usually don't mine Redstone, Coal, and Iron so it generally takes a very long time for me to run out of space. Also, I don't have IC2 installed, so I don't have access to Electric sadly. Sorry again, I wasn't knowledgeable about the ore thing, I thought it functioned like Vanilla enchants, my bad.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I usually toss a diamond and gold block into my picks, but I know some people like to go all out and use and nether star and some just don't like to use anything, so I just put "Speed for the rest" to mean for whatever amount of extra modifiers you like to add. I actually had no idea that Luck affected ores, I thought it just affected Vanilla Fortune 3 stuff even when paired with Auto-Smelt, so I guess I was sort of talking about a moot point :/. My apologies. What I meant by extra speed from Silky vs Luck+Auto Smelt was that the former only takes up one modifier, leaving room for a Speed modifier, but again, I didn't know about the Luck thing, so there is no point in that. I also guess that there is also a mod difference as you mention running out of space quicker and the Electric modifier. The only mod ores I have (that I can think of atm) are Copper, Tin, Lead (Which I don't mine), Silver (Which I don't mine), and Ferrous and I usually don't mine Redstone, Coal, and Iron so it generally takes a very long time for me to run out of space. Also, I don't have IC2 installed, so I don't have access to Electric sadly. Sorry again, I wasn't knowledgeable about the ore thing, I thought it functioned like Vanilla enchants, my bad.
Well, here's the thing...

Your proposed build has Regrowth x 2 and Silky. Mine has either Regrowth OR Electric plus Fortune3 and Auto-Smelting. Since a cobalt tool overall has fewer points to regrow, you only need the one instance of it on the tool. The Cobalt tool will mine faster, and produce more ore. At that point they're sitting at 3 a piece. However, mine has a paper binding instead of obsidian, which means I can throw a Speed on it before needing to break out the diamond and gold block to go still faster if I wanted to. Sure, it might not last as long, but it'll go a heck of a lot faster through whatever you are going through and produce more ingots per ore mined on average, which I find a more than equitable tradeoff.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Well, here's the thing...

Your proposed build has Regrowth x 2 and Silky. Mine has either Regrowth OR Electric plus Fortune3 and Auto-Smelting. Since a cobalt tool overall has fewer points to regrow, you only need the one instance of it on the tool. The Cobalt tool will mine faster, and produce more ore. At that point they're sitting at 3 a piece. However, mine has a paper binding instead of obsidian, which means I can throw a Speed on it before needing to break out the diamond and gold block to go still faster if I wanted to. Sure, it might not last as long, but it'll go a heck of a lot faster through whatever you are going through and produce more ingots per ore mined on average, which I find a more than equitable tradeoff.

The extra regrowth was to regrow the durability of the tool when it gets really low after mining, but yeah, my build is inferior to yours due to the Luck+AutoSmelt.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The extra regrowth was to regrow the durability of the tool when it gets really low after mining, but yeah, my build is inferior to yours due to the Luck+AutoSmelt.
I wouldn't say 'inferior', it'll still have durability for ages. But yea, it was KirinDave who pointed out the synergy between Luck and AutoSmelt to me, which caused me to blink a couple of times, test it out, then never turn back.

Mtshaw113

Jul 29, 2019
Well Lucky for me right after I crafted Shneekey's early-game pickaxe a Meteor fell and it was the kind with a nether portal :)

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For luck+autosmelt it really depends on what you're looking for in the ore. If you want, say, just iron from iron ore then it can possibly net you more, but if you want some ferrous dust and can't find any ore for it pulverizing the iron is better. Of course, there are other ways of processing the ore as well that can net you bonus materials aside from just the ore's main material (pulverizer, GT) and other methods that can increase your chances of getting 300% or more returns from your ores (factorization, UE setup).

As for materials, if you find steel you're set for a starter pick for the nether. It can mine as well as alumite, has a good speed and dur (I believe higher than alumite for dur), and once you make a blast furnace can relatively easily be replaced. Just remember that for the new versions you actually have to cast metals into their respective parts, so you can't just use ingots to make tool heads sing the wooden stencils.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Problem with the autosmelt+Luck thing is that Greg is petitioning to have it nerfed. There's a thread about it on here somewhere.
We might need to start looking at alternatives.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Steel is apparently easy to get: make steel dust first (4 coal around 1 iron ingot), then throw that into the smeltery for 1 ingot.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
my guess is mekanism, or other UE mod.

the recipe is there in unleashed. i just checked.
that is why i was wondering what mod it was. it's one of those recipes that kind of invalidates other steel making methods. (traincraft had one of these as well)
I might have to snuff it out with a config change methinks. altho... getting past the gold barrier in TC without using vanilla tools is bloody hard... guess having steel available won't really change that.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
the recipe is there in unleashed. i just checked.
that is why i was wondering what mod it was. it's one of those recipes that kind of invalidates other steel making methods. (traincraft had one of these as well)
I might have to snuff it out with a config change methinks. altho... getting past the gold barrier in TC without using vanilla tools is bloody hard... guess having steel available won't really change that.
just tested unleashed 1.1.2 and didnt find it. are you sure you`re not missing something here?
this recipe only invalidates iron tools during early mining trips, so i`m not sure what`s wrong with that.
RC is the main mod for producing steel unleashed, and it`s blast furnace makes steel for less coal cost or with charcoal, so this recipe saves you time for more coal required. looks like a fair trade, if this recipe existed in unleashed.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
just tested unleashed 1.1.2 and didnt find it. are you sure you`re not missing something here?
this recipe only invalidates iron tools during early mining trips, so i`m not sure what`s wrong with that.
RC is the main mod for producing steel unleashed, and it`s blast furnace makes steel for less coal cost or with charcoal, so this recipe saves you time for more coal required. looks like a fair trade, if this recipe existed in unleashed.

Ï use BOP a lot, so i am still on 1.1.1. it was probably removed by the pack admins as part of the config changes for 1.1.2 (BOP is horribly broken in 1.1.2 btw... everything is nameless and glitchy as all heck)
Since there is no gregtech to worry about, the brokenness of getting easy steel is rather mild. it doesn't actually alter any gameplay except for tinkerers construct. making a mining level 4 tool easier to get rather than having to use alumite. no other mod needs steel badly enough to not wait til after you get a blast furnace annyhow.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Since there is no gregtech to worry about, the brokenness of getting easy steel is rather mild. it doesn't actually alter any gameplay except for tinkerers construct. making a mining level 4 tool easier to get rather than having to use alumite. no other mod needs steel badly enough to not wait til after you get a blast furnace annyhow.

i cannot remember GT being steel intensive in Ultimate, but this might`ve changed. anyway, as i said, this recipe is a good trade off between speed and cost.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
i cannot remember GT being steel intensive in Ultimate, but this might`ve changed. anyway, as i said, this recipe is a good trade off between speed and cost.

GT hardmode had steel as a requirement for powertools. then in later versions he also changed it so that going into the nether either took a firecharge or a steel ingot for the flint and steel recipe.

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I do use unleashed 1.1.2 and have BOP, and I enabled the mods that were deemed "overpowered" (except the nether ores). Because I like overpowered.

I won't be surprised if TC adds that kind of recipe, but doing a google search only shows steel dust from either GT or traincraft. Both are not in Unleashed.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I do use unleashed 1.1.2 and have BOP, and I enabled the mods that were deemed "overpowered" (except the nether ores). Because I like overpowered.

I won't be surprised if TC adds that kind of recipe, but doing a google search only shows steel dust from either GT or traincraft. Both are not in Unleashed.

i suspect factorization. the graphics on this steel dust resembles the dirty ore chunks a lot. it's not dartcraft, because dartfcraft has been removed in my case. (and EE, i never use it, and the recipe clutter became rather annoying)
I also have nether ores enabled, and while looking i found that you can smeltery smelt the pig iron from the nether into steel as well.