Slow NEI Item Uses Lookup...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VozValden

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure if this happens to anyone else, but when I press U to look up what an item is used for, it takes about 6 seconds for it to pop up which I find VERY annoying. Is there a trick or something to speed up the searches a bit? Thanks!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. No way to speed it up other than getting a better computer. You are gonna have to live with it, or have a wiki open.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem i've been having with NEI is crashing while searching for stuff...

But that's likely my hardware.

wrightrj

Jul 21, 2013
Its just something you have to live with.
Annoying as it is... its just life. For me
it takes probably 1.5 seconds for what
I want to pop up. I though have nt
crashed from this.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
The only way I could imagine you'd have the uses function of NEI crash on you is when you already have an element taking up your memory to begin with.

Let me explain a theory of why it's slow; Taking into account that recipes for blocks are built into the mod's programming, it would be easy to see how searching for a recipe of a block in itself is simple, Unless the recipe is inclusive with other mods. It doesn't require a query which searches every feasible recipe.

Now when you take into account the uses functionality, it follows a query which does just that. It runs through the library of recipes to find those that include your specified item or block. Thus naturally, it would take it's time to wade through a hundred mods give or take, depending on your modpack and it's recipes.

See how that works?

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The way to fix the slowness is to bug NEI and Greg (this started in a GT update a while ago) until whichever one is responsible fixes it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The only way I could imagine you'd have the uses function of NEI crash on you is when you already have an element taking up your memory to begin with.

Let me explain a theory of why it's slow; Taking into account that recipes for blocks are built into the mod's programming, it would be easy to see how searching for a recipe of a block in itself is simple, Unless the recipe is inclusive with other mods. It doesn't require a query which searches every feasible recipe.

Now when you take into account the uses functionality, it follows a query which does just that. It runs through the library of recipes to find those that include your specified item or block. Thus naturally, it would take it's time to wade through a hundred mods give or take, depending on your modpack and it's recipes.

See how that works?

The process you describe may seem very non-trivial but it in fact is very trivial. There are several other modpacks with more mods than any FTB pack that do not encounter this slowness of searching for uses of an item or block. As to what actually causes the issue I could not be entirely sure but it is not a natural feature of NEI it is a bug.

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to be largely a function of how many things NEI knows about. If you have some kind of microblock functionality -- Redpower2, Immibis' microblocks, etc -- that'll tend to sharply explode the number of things NEI has to iterate over when you're doing a 'used in' check. In the case of Immibis' Microblocks, having them not show up in NEI helps.

Other things that add a lot of unique entries, like Tinker's Construct, can have similar effects. Fewer options there, unfortunately.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
The way to fix the slowness is to bug NEI and Greg (this started in a GT update a while ago) until whichever one is responsible fixes it.

Its been an real issue from 1,5,1, as much as I would like to lay the blame at gregs feet, its not related, its nei scanning takes lot of cpu that one or more mod in the ftb pack is hogging so there is slowdown while nei looks-up the listed item, then releases ram/cpu for reuse.

For me its random 1-5 sec delay.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure if this happens to anyone else, but when I press U to look up what an item is used for, it takes about 6 seconds for it to pop up which I find VERY annoying. Is there a trick or something to speed up the searches a bit? Thanks!
if the item has no recipe then will take longer to look up try not to look up these types and it should run faster

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The horror of waiting 6 seconds. It would take you longer to tab out and do a google sreach is 6 seconds really that huge of an issue?

And yes the more items it have to parse through the longer it will take. So as more packs and items are added to NEI the longer the U key will take to find your inforamtion. It checks every recipe to see if what you selected is used in it and complies the list. So more recipes will mean longer delay from U to handy list.

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
The horror of waiting 6 seconds. It would take you longer to tab out and do a google sreach is 6 seconds really that huge of an issue?

Yes. 6 seconds for a lookup which should take less than a second, multiplied by every time I need to try to remember what something is used for. They accumulate. Seconds quickly become minutes. Over time, minutes become hours. This is a serious quality of life issue; this function is at the moment overall less useful than having a browser with many tabs open to a wiki which might not have current information.

Correct information, or quick response? This is not a tradeoff anyone should ever expect from their user interface.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. 6 seconds for a lookup which should take less than a second, multiplied by every time I need to try to remember what something is used for. They accumulate. Seconds quickly become minutes. Over time, minutes become hours. This is a serious quality of life issue; this function is at the moment overall less useful than having a browser with many tabs open to a wiki which might not have current information.

Correct information, or quick response? This is not a tradeoff anyone should ever expect from their user interface.

The U key is more then just a wiki look up. It checks every single recipe of all mods loaded into NEI. It would be the effect of having every recipe open in a browser at the same time so you can check to see which one of the hundreds use coal.

But you see this 6 seconds as a major impact on your quality of life I suggest you take it up with the creator of the mod but I highly doubt there is anyway to speed this up outside of a better pc or a smaller data set to search through.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

Really dude modders give there free time to make mods & if your really so unhappy you should take the time to make your own mod to do the thing that unsettling you so badly, in an ideal world every thing would work 100% of the time & instantly, but as we know the world is not an ideal place, just enjoy what you have & learn to live with the rest or do something about it.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
If NEI isn't to your taste, try CraftGuide.

Not that I can promise it's a better experience at all, because I've never used it myself. The wait time in NEI is one of those things I just shrug and go "typical software thing". But there are options to try.