tinkers construct steel

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Or just use context...

"This manyllyun sword I made with TC is great!"

"This sword of the zephyr from TC is great!"

"These trains from TC look so incredible!"

Reactions: Jess887cp

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Or just use context...

"This manyllyun sword I made with TC is great!"

"This sword of the zephyr from TC is great!"

"These trains from TC look so incredible!"
That won't always work, you can make Thaumcraft tools in Thaumcraft and TConstruct and steel is in TConstruct and Traincraft.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
That won't always work, you can make Thaumcraft tools in Thaumcraft and TConstruct and steel is in TConstruct and Traincraft.
For the first situation you make parts of Tinkers tool with thaum, proper wording solves that. For the second it may be in both but both are clearly made differently for different purposes. In this thread there are 2 obvious situations of this: Why would Tinkers add a recipe for steel dust? The smeltery doesn't cook it and there wouldn't be a point to smelting it in a furnace to be smelted again in a smeltery. Not to mention that the entire thread topic is that of tinkers rather than traincraft which was never mentioned.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
For the first situation you make parts of Tinkers tool with thaum, proper wording solves that. For the second it may be in both but both are clearly made differently for different purposes. In this thread there are 2 obvious situations of this: Why would Tinkers add a recipe for steel dust? The smeltery doesn't cook it and there wouldn't be a point to smelting it in a furnace to be smelted again in a smeltery. Not to mention that the entire thread topic is that of tinkers rather than traincraft which was never mentioned.
Well that's only for this thread...I'm just saying that using context won't always work which is why we are seeing some confusion. ;).

renn_123

Jul 29, 2019
TC does add its own steel it is just a matter of enabling it.
Default: Turned off by Railcraft
Its a cheap recipie, 4 coal and 1 iron for 1 steel dust
TC already has it

*Knit-picking here*
This would not yield steel IRL. A better way would to have something like 6 iron and one wool yielding at best 3 steel ingots. Wool was the traditional method of increasing the carbon content of the iron melt (typically harvested from meteorites for the purity). Of course this completely depends on the type of steel the programmer was going for.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
*Knit-picking here*
This would not yield steel IRL. A better way would to have something like 6 iron and one wool yielding at best 3 steel ingots. Wool was the traditional method of increasing the carbon content of the iron melt (typically harvested from meteorites for the purity)

I'll assume you mean the iron and not the wool. :p

On a side note.
People use Traincraft?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just glad we don't have to do all of the ridiculous processes required for real steel. Whether it's the old blacksmithing tempering, folding, and cooling, or the new bessemer methods and such.

Blast furnace is fine, thank you very much. I just wish there was a way to mass produce the stuff, so I could have massive (and fairly cheap) skyscrapers that actually used a steel skeleton.

The_Enemys

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just glad we don't have to do all of the ridiculous processes required for real steel. Whether it's the old blacksmithing tempering, folding, and cooling, or the new bessemer methods and such.

Blast furnace is fine, thank you very much. I just wish there was a way to mass produce the stuff, so I could have massive (and fairly cheap) skyscrapers that actually used a steel skeleton.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a MineFantasy type mod* that uses those full processes, as long as there's some means to automate it later, as I like having complex machines with huge, dynamic interactive (like the Infernal Furnace) multiblock structures ticking over in a huge automated factory.

*In the sense that it wouldn't get shoehorned into every pack, instead reserved for packs like MagicFarm that are supposed to be unbelievably difficult and involved.

Reactions: Jess887cp

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a MineFantasy type mod* that uses those full processes, as long as there's some means to automate it later, as I like having complex machines with huge, dynamic interactive (like the Infernal Furnace) multiblock structures ticking over in a huge automated factory.

*In the sense that it wouldn't get shoehorned into every pack, instead reserved for packs like MagicFarm that are supposed to be unbelievably difficult and involved.

Yeah, those processes would be really cool, especially for RP servers and themed builds. I'm using a TiC smeltery for my blacksmith right now, and it's pretty close. But the thing is, you could get really greggy with the thing, like how he requires a hammer and a file to make iron tools. The way it is right now is good. Although an alternative to RC steel would be nice.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I'd forgotten about terrafirmacraft. I was thinking more like the AE grindstone though, with the hammering and all.