I heard you liked Iridium

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Considering that rocks are far less dense than the precious metals, no.

Once you get above a ton and are talking about a single human carrying it, it is no longer necessary to be exact.

Gravel is 1.5-2 tons per cubic meter depending on density. Sand is slightly less. Cobblestone would be heavier. Stone heavier still.

Your character is carrying all that in stacks of 64 and can carry 36 such stacks.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Once you get above a ton and are talking about a single human carrying it, it is no longer necessary to be exact.

Gravel is 1.5-2 tons per cubic meter depending on density. Sand is slightly less. Cobblestone would be heavier. Stone heavier still.

Your character is carrying all that in stacks of 64 and can carry 36 such stacks.

and then you can also carry backpacks and such :D

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
In Britain, we leave the I in the word. So greg is perfectly correct, assuming he is talking in British English, not American English.
(Please, no flamewars)[DOUBLEPOST=1374352237][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's because it is the american way of spelling it, and IOS is set by default to American English -_-
Oh come on, i've already stated i'm wrong twice...

Enough with beating this dead horse, please...

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
It's not even about weight, although that's valid. Ignoring hammerspace, the player can carry 64 cubic meters in one inventory slot. The density alone could be greater than the centers of some stars.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Well, if you were carrying an inventory full of smooth stone, assuming it was similar to granite, the calculations would be something like this:

64 in a stack x 2700 kilograms per stone x 36 inv. spaces = 6,220,800 kilograms of stone in your pockets. That's about 6,220 metric tonnes, or more than 6 metric megatonnes.

Reactions: Jess887cp

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019

and that is why I feel like the hulk playing minecraft :D

Reactions: the_j485

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you were carrying an inventory full of smooth stone, assuming it was similar to granite, the calculations would be something like this:

64 in a stack x 2700 kilograms per stone x 36 inv. spaces = 6,220,800 kilograms of stone in your pockets. That's about 6,220 metric tonnes, or more than 6 metric megatonnes.
Not quite right. You forgot density, which would increase weight. All of that in AT MOST 2m^2, yadayada, I liked the sciency numbers though :D

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand what you mean, the weight of the stone blocks would surely stay constant at around 2,700 kg?

I think I've read somewhere that weight increases with density. Which is why black holes have such immense amounts of gravitational pull.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
That's about 6,220 metric tonnes, or more than 6 metric megatonnes.

Correction, 6 metric Kilotonnes (Kilo is *10^3 and Mega is *10^6)

It's not even about weight, although that's valid.

We aren't talking about Weight, we are talking about Mass. Mass is how much stuff there is and Weight is just the force exerted on that mass by a gravitational field.

As for working out the density, it is simply mass/volume. If we know the mass of 1 cubic meter of stone, then we know the density (which, for a meter cube is equal to the mass in this case).

Putting the numbers in, 64*2700 = 172,800 kg/m^3

As for whether it would be a black hole, we need the formula for the Schwarzschild radius, which gives the radius of the sphere where, if all of the mass was compressed into this sphere, the escape velocity would be greater than the speed of light.

r = (2GM)/(c^2) G = 6.67*10^-11 (or the gravitational constant) and c = speed of light in m/s, or 3*10^8

Putting in the nymbers, r = (2*[6.67*10^-11]*172800)/[9*10^16]

That gives a radius of 2.56^-22

As for the centres of stars, it would completely depend on the star but most have a core of iron, so for the most part it won't be, if it is a new star then it would most likely be a core of hydrogen/helium, so it would be denser than them.

I think I've read somewhere that weight increases with density. Which is why black holes have such immense amounts of gravitational pull.

Only because density just tells you how much stuff there is in a certain volume, if you have a higher density, you have more stuff, so you have an increased mass (and by relation, increased weight).

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019

Ah, alright, thanks for clearing that up. I really ought to do more research on this type of thing. Or perhaps pay more attention in physics. I now understand. A bit more, at least, off to look up the bits that I don't.

*mumbles something about iridium*

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
As for the centres of stars, it would completely depend on the star but most have a core of iron, so for the most part it won't be, if it is a new star then it would most likely be a core of hydrogen/helium, so it would be denser than them.

The core of the sun isnt made from iron... thats the core of the earth. The core of the sun is made from a super-dense proton-soup with a density of about 150.000kg / m²

Stone has a density in a wide array, but normally they are around 2.000-3.000 kg / m². So if Steve carries 36 Stacks of Stone (which means full inventory + hotbar). He would carry 64 x 36 x 3.000 = 6.912.000 kg. Since he occupies 2m² his density would be about 3.500.000 kg / m². Now you can even argue that Steve has the potential to jam his inventory with gold-blocks which makes him carry over 20.000.000 kg /m². But both values easily bypass the density of the core of our sun. But actually that density would cause such high temperature and thus pressure, that Steve would propably explode.

Also Gregs chemistry is mainly correct. Although the process of getting Aluminium is a bit more complicated. Also the reason why Soaryn named it Aluminum and Greg Aluminium is because Greg is german and Soaryn american. In Europe it is normally Aluminium, while the americans are bit different and save the "i" for more important words.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Stay on topic folks. We're talking about iridium. IRIDIUMMMMMMMMM

THIS IS MADNESSS, WHERE ARE THE IRIDIUMSSSSS.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The core of the sun isnt made from iron... thats the core of the earth. The core of the sun is made from a super-dense proton-soup with a density of about 150.000kg / m²

Stone has a density in a wide array, but normally they are around 2.000-3.000 kg / m². So if Steve carries 36 Stacks of Stone (which means full inventory + hotbar). He would carry 64 x 36 x 3.000 = 6.912.000 kg. Since he occupies 2m² his density would be about 3.500.000 kg / m². Now you can even argue that Steve has the potential to jam his inventory with gold-blocks which makes him carry over 20.000.000 kg /m². But both values easily bypass the density of the core of our sun. But actually that density would cause such high temperature and thus pressure, that Steve would propably explode.

Also Gregs chemistry is mainly correct. Although the process of getting Aluminium is a bit more complicated. Also the reason why Soaryn named it Aluminum and Greg Aluminium is because Greg is german and Soaryn american. In Europe it is normally Aluminium, while the americans are bit different and save the "i" for more important words.
my teacher of physics would bitch slap you to death, after seeing you referring to pressure when talking about density.

Reactions: rymmie1981