Redpower Replacements

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Item Detector. I think you can do this with vanilla hoppers but it's awkward, is there any other way to detect a specific item in a pipe/tube/conveyor belt system? This is at the heart of the origin of FTB, which needs a way of checking what items have been fed to the east.
Diamond pipe?

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want it stuck in a chest, and turtles can't look in chests (see my Sortron post earlier).
Well I was assuming you'd pull it out of the chest after you had checked the type (assuming turtles could look in chests of course).

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Item Detector. I think you can do this with vanilla hoppers but it's awkward, is there any other way to detect a specific item in a pipe/tube/conveyor belt system? This is at the heart of the origin of FTB, which needs a way of checking what items have been fed to the east.
The Interactive Sorter from MiscPeripherals can be used as an Item Detector fairly easily. It doesn't even require all that much code.

As far as I can tell, the only RP2 feature that is currently impossible to duplicate with other mods is Frames. Although that may not be the case for long.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want it stuck in a chest, and turtles can't look in chests (see my Sortron post earlier).

Gates, however, can. Gold or Diamond AND gates can even look for specific items.

Redstone Pipes from TE emit signals when items pass through.

Vanilla comparators can also tell you how full a chest is. Of course, you'd need Rednet to be able to decode it, since nothing else (yet) manages analog signals. Not Redpower, not ComputerCraft.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an idea. Why not learn the meaning of patience. Redpower isn't the only mod not 1.5 ready. And Elo says she is working on it. Who needs a replacement when you can have the original

But we can't have the original, at least not in 1.5.x. Perhaps 1.6, but who knows? Even then, will it port to 1.6.x? 1.7? I think people are beginning to realize that if you want to migrate a world to future MC versions (and play with the cool new toys the devs come up with), RP2 is looking like a bad investment.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
But we can't have the original, at least not in 1.5.x. Perhaps 1.6, but who knows? Even then, will it port to 1.6.x? 1.7? I think people are beginning to realize that if you want to migrate a world to future MC versions (and play with the cool new toys the devs come up with), RP2 is looking like a bad investment.
Everything I see for 1.6 says your current world won't work and many servers will run FTB 1.4.7 versions until there is an update. I'm staying on 1.4.7 since that is what the server I play on runs like a lot of people. I'd rather wait for every mod to be ready and implemented on forgecraft for testing prior to getting it. I don't mind waiting if it means the pack works well. Completely a personal decision. Currently nowhere near end game and I get tired of having to start from scratch all the time.
Adding a mod with world gen after the fact isn't that bad anymore with the programs out there. They do it on Forgecraft each time a mod updates.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Gates, however, can. Gold or Diamond AND gates can even look for specific items.

Redstone Pipes from TE emit signals when items pass through.

Vanilla comparators can also tell you how full a chest is. Of course, you'd need Rednet to be able to decode it, since nothing else (yet) manages analog signals. Not Redpower, not ComputerCraft.
OK so how do you use these things to check the items in an FTB challenge map? With RP, you can set a filter to retrieve 1 item at a time and use Item Detectors to send a pulse to the appropriate Counter when an item goes through the pipe, with the Filter pulsed at a rate that ensures that you only have one item at a time going past the detector. With BC pipes, how do you regulate the flow so that you get one pulse per item? Sure you can use a diamond pipe and a redstone pipe to separate and detect the items, but I can't think of a way of getting exactly one pulse per item.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
OK so how do you use these things to check the items in an FTB challenge map? With RP, you can set a filter to retrieve 1 item at a time and use Item Detectors to send a pulse to the appropriate Counter when an item goes through the pipe, with the Filter pulsed at a rate that ensures that you only have one item at a time going past the detector. With BC pipes, how do you regulate the flow so that you get one pulse per item? Sure you can use a diamond pipe and a redstone pipe to separate and detect the items, but I can't think of a way of getting exactly one pulse per item.
Said it once and I'll say it again. INTERACTIVE SORTER. It can do all of that. It can detect items coming into it on a case-by-case basis and determine exactly what item it is and how many there are. And since it's a peripheral, you can have a ComputerCraft program that does whatever you want it to do when a specific item passes through.

Or, for something like an FTB challenge map, you could use an Applied Energistics system to store the items, with level emitters to turn on whenever you fulfill a requirement. They don't work quite like item detectors do, but they fulfill an item detector's purpose in an FTB challenge map rather nicely.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Trivially. Connect the redstone pipe to a counter on a rednet controller. You already get single items with gates on wooden pipes, but if you're so paranoid you can use the "Single Energy Pulse" on the gates.

Sounds like you just don't even really know what options other than redpower can even do.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

If you want stuff counted to trigger something, won't an AE Level Emitter work? While your fancy challenge map will need to power the AE system, you could just make a creative only infinite power block.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
While your fancy challenge map will need to power the AE system, you could just make a creative only infinite power block.
There should be an option in the config files to disable AE's power requirements.