First alpha release: Electrodynamics

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
This is one crazy loaded mod. Originally aimed at being an addon to RP2, it has apparently grown to be a rival to any of the major mods. The number of things planned is a bit boggling but fascinating. One of the core principles seems to be actually doing something in-world, as opposed to GUI this and that. Not to mention full intention of cross-mod compatibility.

Barely started and their website has a lot of interesting machines planned. Whole new concepts, like the street lamp/telephone pole for power transmission! Even 4 different armor sets! Once it has filled out and matured I will certainly be adding this mod! :D

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1321755-electrodynamics-012-alpha-released/

http://www.electrodynamicsmod.com/#

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
looks interesting, but some item look like a pure rip-off of RP, we all knew this would happen in the end, lot of ppl seem to want a replacement for RP this maybe will be an option, I my self think Rednet is the one that most intersting & one that could work along side RP, the amount of ore gen makes looks like a stand-alone, (or as bad as XYcraft) in one of these packs is there room for that many new ores, I cant say for sure but it seems that with norma/mod gens there would not be room in inventory to mine for more than minutes before filling inventory, these are my views on skimming whats on the site/wiki as of now, I do wish the devs & all involved all the best & would say that if the images are of ingame items there well made,crisp & industrial looking nice job.

Btw I am not opening an old debate, just pointing something out, & will not comment or reply any further on any RP stuff.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Even though there isn't much information to go on on the forum post, you have to admit the graphics they have on it are pretty cool. And as much as I want to like it I haven't really gotten into modular power suits yet so I am looking forward to what there armour turns out to be like.

epicninja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want any of those stupid ores, they can keep magnetite nickel and maybe galena, i think it would be better if it used copper tin lead etc, so it fits in better.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Considering it was originally conceived as only an addon to RP2, similarities are entirely expected. I look forward to the interesting new ideas and different approaches. I can only imagine what the clean rooms and nanocircuitry are going to be. Same with the as-of-yet unknown Tier 3 machines.

As for the extra ores...new machines and other goodies. Galena isn't new, nor is nickel (at least in ingots) but quite frankly, they could set up using none of their own ore gen and ore dictionary anything not unique. It will balance out.

Just keep in mind that it's only the FIRST release in ALPHA. They're barely to the stage they're ready to start hearing feedback and bug reports from a larger audience. Give em time. :D

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
The power system looks interesting. I don't know exactly how they are doing it all, but based on what I saw this is what I hope they are doing...

Relatively cheap system for running above-ground power lines (if it is pricey nobody will want to do it of course).
Multi-block transformers of various sizes that go from reasonable to expensive. For instance, something like this would be interesting... 5 sizes, Very Small (VS), Small (S), Medium (M), Large (L) and Very Large (VL). VS = 2 block, outputs 1 line at either 32 EU/T or 12 MJ/T. S = 4 blocks, 2 lines, 64/25 per line. M = 8 blocks, 4 lines, 128/50 per line. L = 16 blocks, 8 lines, 256/100 per line. VL = 32 blocks, 16 lines, 512/200 per line. This is all max output of course, the power still has to be available in the power lines to actually output the max amount. And of course all this power would be being transferred as ED power right up to the transformers and would also output from the transformers as ED with the appropriate cable if you desired (I put no numbers down for that because I have no idea how it works). It would be possible to mix/match output from a single transformer too. So an S could output 64 EU/T and 25MJ/T at the same time.
There could be special connectors for EU that allow you to force 2 or 4 outputs worth into a single line as a single pulse. So if you want, the S could put out Medium Voltage, the M could put out High, and the VL could put out Extreme. These would only take up one "line" output on the transformer but, for instance, if you had two of the 4 connector version on an L transformer it would no longer accept any more connections.
Transformers could have three versions, Send, Receive, and Send/Receive, with the Send/Receives costing a little more, encouraging users to focus on centralized power, but still giving them the option to decentralize if they like.
ED would of course have its own "local" power lines (in addition to the overhead ones) that would output from the other side of the transformer and be used to power regular ED equipment.
The power lines would need to be effectively unlimited in the amount of power they carry and have little or no loss on long runs.

I think all this would be WAY more interesting than the current solution... Tesseracts. Tesseracts are fun and useful, but they are just a tad bit OP if abused. All mods with power should offer a cheap way of handling long runs of cable with a special "transformer" required at each end to actually use the power again so the cheap cable can't be abused.... Imagine how nice it would be to connect a bunch of windmills up with tin at ~y-250, run them all into a special box that is kind of pricey, but not ridiculous, then run them down 170 to your home with cable about as cheap as tin and with no energy loss, then into another special box that returns the power to normal useable power. This concept is actually a lot like the Tesseract. Effectively the game would actually just teleport the energy from A to B, but it would only do so while A and B are connected by cable C, instead of via a frequency. AE really needs something like this too I think for moving items over long distances.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I guess the logic for using things like tesseracts or ender chests/tanks is that it is less of a strain for your computer. However, if there was a way of having transformers like arentol has described that handle all of the power transmission (from the game's perspective) and have cables that are almost purely aesthetic, that would be cool. No idea how it would work exactly but it seems like modders have been getting good results in making multiblocks less laggy and I think that item transmission from item tubes in extrautilities is handled purely by the controllers and the tubes don't actually do anything. Do I have the right idea about how those tubes work or have I got it wrong?

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know how item tubes work, but that is kind of how AE works. Anything on the network that requests an item gets it if it is available anywhere on the network, instantly, with no chance of rendering issues to cause problems. It is just wired teleportation. Power could, and really should, work the same way. As a matter of fact, I am quite certain that the reason we have the power systems we have now, and not just teleporting power, is because the modder's for BC and IC were focused on creating something that "simulates" reality in some way. But that is just complication to be complicated and we don't need that. What we need is something that uses as little processing as possible. Rather than treating every length of cable as a mini-battery and tracking power in every one of them every tick, or separating it into packets and tracking the distance it is all traveling so we can remove some due to distance, just do... "How much power is requested on the network? How much is available? Spread as evenly as possible." And even better, only check for and recalculate changes every 5 ticks. That is only 1/4 second and in the long run it doesn't really matter what is gained or lost in 5 ticks because it will balance to zero over time.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify I meant the extrautils tubes, which are actually called transfer pipes and they interact with inventories via transfer nodes. It seems like a lot of mod authors these days are giving serious consideration to power/item/liquid transmission systems that while not necessarily like real life are kinder to system resources. Thermal expansion and applied energistics are good examples of this. I don't know all that much about how my computer handles the game but when I remember my old redpower 2 processing ore processing factory I used to have to go afk for about 20 minutes while my fps slowed to a crawl as my system pushed items through a my factory (which in hindsight could probably have been designed more efficiently). I don't have that problem with AE quite so much. If this mod continues that trend and provides an aesthetically interesting way of transmitting power that would be really cool. The multiblocks already look great.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
:eek:

I just realized arentol made an abbreviation of Electrodynamics. :confused:

Apparently this mod is becoming too awesome, it causes ED. :D

If Elecdo (need something better than ED here... :rolleyes:) continues this level of wow factor on up to release, this will certainly become firmly entrenched among the top tier mods. :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The first thing I notice is a ton of unique worldgen. Immediately loses points in my book.

It's not so bad when you play the mod by itself, but in a modpack? Once you have the standard four mod ores (copper / tin / silver / lead), plus severe offenders like Thaumcraft, Xycraft and Redpower, plus minor adders like Forestry, Industrialcraft, GregTech, Applied Energistics and Railcraft, it's approaching the point where it feels like you're seeing more ores than stone in the world. At this point in time, the first thing I look at when I consider adding a mod to my server or not is worldgen. Before I even know what the mod actually does, I look at how much ore it spams into my landscape.

Now I'm not saying that the Electrodynamics team doesn't have the right to do their own worldgen or anything. I'm just saying that I'd like it better if they used at least some standard ores. Cross-mod compatibility is important in today's modding world.

Reactions: wow

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
I like the art design, and it's good to see a mod that's presuming some level of renewable energy from the starting line.

In addition to the worldgen concerns, the mod also has ore dictionary issues. Galena and Nickel are already commonly-used ingots in GregTech-flavoured IC2, but aren't intercompatible with the ElectroDynamics versions -- and maybe shouldn't be, given the differences in intended rarity.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
All the concerns over worldgen or compatability are reasonable. However, the FTB packs turn off tons of worldgen that has common use with copper/tin being most prevalent. As for compatability...the EDX team has clearly stated they have full intention to be cross-mod compatible and work alongside Forge. It's just alpha. Give it time. :D

I really like the looks of this mod.
*cough* Spoiler for politeness on the common ED meaning... :p
Erectile Dysfunction :oops:

wow

Jul 29, 2019
All the concerns over worldgen or compatability are reasonable.
Posted by mod author on the forum:
"*Picture of Config Files*
Adjustable ore spawn rates and the option to turn off ores."

Edit: Read some more and the ores are in the ore dictionary. I dont know why people hate on a mods worldgen in alpha. Especially when there's like 5 really good dev's coding it.

Reactions: BanzaiBlitz