AE has got me thinking...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics is essentially moving items along wires to somewhere convenient, right? It just struck me that it seems awfully similar to a scientific short story I read years ago. The story went like this: a scientist discovered a way to disassemble the atoms of a cat and transmit them along a telegraph wire, effectively teleporting the cat along the wire. Unfortunately, the power cut when the scientist tried it on himself. Only his head was successfully teleported. I've been trying to think what the story is called, but I can't remember it. Does anyone else know?

EDIT: It just occured to me this might be in the wrong section of the forum. However, none of the others seemed appropriate.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Applied Energistics is essentially moving items along wires to somewhere convenient, right? It just struck me that it seems awfully similar to a scientific short story I read years ago. The story went like this: a scientist discovered a way to disassemble the atoms of a cat and transmit them along a telegraph wire, effectively teleporting the cat along the wire. Unfortunately, the power cut when the scientist tried it on himself. Only his head was successfully teleported. I've been trying to think what the story is called, but I can't remember it. Does anyone else know?

EDIT: It just occured to me this might be in the wrong section of the forum. However, none of the others seemed appropriate.
I don't think that actually happened.

Reactions: Coinless

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Well obviously, its a story. A work of fiction.
Story doesn't mean fiction, it means something that happened.
History has a root of Story, and do you think History is a work of Fiction?
I honestly thought you believed what you read.

Popparay

Jul 29, 2019
Story doesn't mean fiction, it means something that happened.
History has a root of Story, and do you think History is a work of Fiction?
I honestly thought you believed what you read.

wow, did you even go to school? Do some research before you make crazy comments like that.

straight from the Dictionary:

Story
a description, either true or imagined, of a connected series of events:Will you read/tell me a story, daddy?Martha chose her favourite book of bedtime stories.He writes children's stories.I don't know if it's true but it's a good story (= entertaining to listen to althoughprobably not true).She gave me her version of what had happened, but it would be interesting to hearhis half/side of the story (= the events as described by him).
Apparently his first words to her were "Will you marry me?" or so the story goes (= that is what people say happened).

Reactions: Roady

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
wow, did you even go to school? Do some research before you make crazy comments like that.

Story
a description, either true or imagined, of a connected series of events:Will you read/tell me a story, daddy?Martha chose her favourite book of bedtime stories.He writes children's stories.I don't know if it's true but it's a good story (= entertaining to listen to althoughprobably not true).She gave me her version of what had happened, but it would be interesting to hearhis half/side of the story (= the events as described by him).
Apparentlyhis first words to her were "Will youmarryme?"or sothe storygoes(= that is what people say happened).

This definition completely backs whizz's point. Good job.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019

Story
Apparentlyhis first words to her were "Will youmarryme?"or sothe storygoes(= that is what people say happened).
Thank you for backing up my point completely.
"A description, either TRUE"
TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE
And so my first thought when I read his summary was like
Did this happen or something?
Because that doesn't make sense.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE

True or imagined. As I said, semantics.

Popparay

Jul 29, 2019
TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE

True or imagined, your comment was wrong. The Book he spoke of was fictional, ie imagined. Therefore his description as a story was entirely correct. Anyway this is not the point of the OP. I will leave it there.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
to get back on topic:

given that the storage metric is bytes, then yes items are converted to information and transfered over the wire