Transporting goods through nether portals (using Tech World only)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Any suggestions of where to start? Or is it even possible?

Basically, I'm building a massive 'grinder' of sorts in the nether - and it uses a lot of cobblestone (didn't want to use netherrack - just cuz of ghasts.... fire bad - long story. :) ) Anyway, i'm tired of going back and forth with cobblestone and was hoping for some sort of work around; BUT, I hear minecarts blow up servers. :(

Is it possible with Tech World only, transporting goods into the nether?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Any suggestions of where to start? Or is it even possible?

Basically, I'm building a massive 'grinder' of sorts in the nether - and it uses a lot of cobblestone (didn't want to use netherrack - just cuz of ghasts.... fire bad - long story. :) ) Anyway, i'm tired of going back and forth with cobblestone and was hoping for some sort of work around; BUT, I hear minecarts blow up servers. :(

Is it possible with Tech World only, transporting goods into the nether?

Minecarts blow up servers?

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
With vanilla MC; apparently yes. With railcraft - no. Or at least, that what seems to be the fix.

However, sending minecarts through doesn't work the way I'd need; when the cart goes through - it always seems to choose the side of the portal WITHOUT the track... :(

I'm still experimenting; but if I through stone at the portal - it goes through. But, that's quite messy as there's no way to tell the other side the box is full....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
With vanilla MC; apparently yes. With railcraft - no. Or at least, that what seems to be the fix.

However, sending minecarts through doesn't work the way I'd need; when the cart goes through - it always seems to choose the side of the portal WITHOUT the track... :(

I'm still experimenting; but if I through stone at the portal - it goes through. But, that's quite messy as there's no way to tell the other side the box is full....

I've got test worlds doing minecraft transits over and over in 1.5.1. No crashes yet.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
I've got test worlds doing minecraft transits over and over in 1.5.1. No crashes yet.
It could be fixed in 1.5.1 - I don't know; just saw people commenting (while researching this) that it does...

So how do you get the cart to stay on the track when it goes through the nether portal? If you have blocks A and B (as the two blocks you can stand on to enter the portal); if I have track on A (on both sides); when I send a cart through - it goes to B in the nether; if I move it to B in the nether; it starts landing on A. It's like the track blocks the cart after entering the nether.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Ender chests.
I'd have to run out of the nether; load it up - and then run back. So there's no real point :(

I currently rigged up an improvised pipe system; basically in the outter world; the pipe throws cobble at the portal (we have a chunkloader running) and on the other side; I put a bunch of obsidian pipes - that move stuff into the boxes. It's sloppy, but it works... (and I have to run out and flip the switch to stop spitting cobble out - but ...

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The "load it up" would apply to anything, really.

if you place a chunk loader, it will load the chunk(s), and you won't have to worry.

But seriously, ender chests seems to be a really valid solution for what you want, I am not sure why you don't want it.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
and how about a standard vanilla cobblestone generator in the nether?

since water isn't placeable, take a bucket of oil. it can be placed in the nether, and reacts with lava similar to water.

a blockbreaker then consumes the cobblestone and sends it whereever you want it to go.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
But seriously, ender chests seems to be a really valid solution for what you want, I am not sure why you don't want it.
It's not at all actually. I need thousand of cobblestone, multiple levels. An ender chest doesn't save me anything; I could either run out to the generator - load up the ender chest - then run up to the construction site in the the nether - or - I run out to the generator with an inventory of cobble - and then run back. As you can hopefully see; an ender chest is pointless. It doesn't help me in any (save maybe a few extra trips...)

That's why I was hoping for some sort of transport system.

and how about a standard vanilla cobblestone generator in the nether?

since water isn't placeable, take a bucket of oil. it can be placed in the nether, and reacts with lava similar to water.

a blockbreaker then consumes the cobblestone and sends it whereever you want it to go.
OMG! If this works, it would be perfect. Then I can just pipe up to the different levels! I'll try this right now. Thanks!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Too bas that your pack doesn't include it, but instead of a lag machine that is a a vanilla cobble generator, you could have the ingenuous extruder.
It it a Thermal Expansion (TE) machine that produces cobble, and that can output to an adjacent inventory (machine, chest or pipe, for example).

Ender chest being pointless in your case is only because you don't automate anything. What I mean by that is that it is really easy to automate the ender chest being refilled with cobble when there is space in it, either through BC (iron gates and pipe wire) or RP (tubes).

What's even better about the ender chest solution is that you can have an ender pouch on you, and refill as needed without having to move.

An other way of transporting massive amount of cobble is through Forestry's backpacks, the "digger" one to be exact. If set to the yellow arrow mode, it will automatically resupply the stack you are using.
If you are into bees, even just a bit, jungle bees provide you with the material to upgrade those backpacks to 45 slots inventory, so a single of those can hold more than your whole inventory could.

But I guess that if you prefer lag intensive processes (vanilla cobble generators, throwing entities through the portal), then that's your own choice, but I do hope that you are not playing on a server, because people might come to hate you quite fast if you are causing server lag.

Tyrellan

Jul 29, 2019
Ender chest being pointless in your case is only because you don't automate anything. What I mean by that is that it is really easy to automate the ender chest being refilled with cobble when there is space in it, either through BC (iron gates and pipe wire) or RP (tubes).
I thought you couldn't automate into an ender chest, because it doesn't know who's it is.... That's good to know you can do that tho.

What's even better about the ender chest solution is that you can have an ender pouch on you, and refill as needed without having to move.
This was something we wanted; but it's not in the tech world mod... :(

But I guess that if you prefer lag intensive processes (vanilla cobble generators, throwing entities through the portal), then that's your own choice, but I do hope that you are not playing on a server, because people might come to hate you quite fast if you are causing server lag.
It is on a server; but we don't see any lag... The only lag we get is around the portal (just by itself... no pipes or anything; it was so bad I had to move it underground... but that's another story.)

Anyway, the oil/lava cobble generator is the perfect fix. I built this is the nether; and piped up cobble to the work site; then as I get low - I run down flip a switch to start the generator - and load up my turtles.. :) It works awesome.

And just because: we're building a massive xp / gold grinder. I've made a 9x9 tube up to bedrock (from our portal) - then started building a floor every 4th block (so it's 3 high (and a massive 150 x 150 block room) - it will eventually go all the way down to bedrock when the entire structure is complete. Step 2 will be to then cut slits (with trap doors) into the floors (each level is off set) - and finally, step 3 will be to build a funnel shaped, piston-room; which drops them down into a turtle kill box... it's massive (I figure it's going to take me a week or two using 20 turtles to build floors and walls.

But it's seriously going to be epic when it's done. Even if it doesn't work as planned; it's kinda fun building the structure. :)