Your Favorite Computer Craft Program Ever

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
not that hard, you need to write a program that labels the computer, or if it already has a label, changes it to a random string of numbers and/or letters, disables the ctrl + t functionality, and runs on startup. can't reboot, can't format through disk, can't access via rednet because you don't know the ID, useless, toss it into lava lol

How, exactly, does that keep you from being able to break it and place it next to a disk drive with a disk inside with a startup program with:

Code:
print("Failed, eh?")

As the only line in it, which will run the moment you place the computer back down and it reboots itself, eh?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
There's already a startup program in the turtle, running on loop, it will run it's startup program on reboot, not the one on the disk. IIRC.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
There's already a startup program in the turtle, running on loop, it will run it's startup program on reboot, not the one on the disk. IIRC.

You remember incorrectly. Disks take priority over internal startup programs, specifically to avoid these type of failure events. You can have a startup program just reboot the computer as soon as it starts, which would brick it fully sans disk, and restore it properly with a disk. So, your "computer destroying program" is not very effective in that regard. Sorry mate.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I pulverize cobble for my sand needs, forget digging deserts. :)
This, in spades. Whenever I need sand, I steal it from my induction smelter line. Can usually guarantee three stacks per smelter, and it fills back in darn fast. ;)

Neirin said:
Keridos's Shape builder (now has its own thread, though it was just started) offers one big improvement over the other programs it's composed of: support for resupply stations. No need to fly up to your turtle and awkwardly refill its inventory, just plop stuff in the resupply station.
Fly? Boots of the traveller! Two jumps and I can walk up the side of any dome known to Steve :) Though the resupply station inclusion is probably a good idea. Much easier than walking along behind the turtle, using my sojourner staff to light up the dome's flat areas, and dump stone bricks into the turtle every level or two.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
My current favorite is the one that makes a turtle drive a quartz grindstone. Feel like this is going to get nerfed. :p

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
because I use turtles as stupid dudes that do the mining for me, not play the game for me, its too easy to just go there and choose not to mine diamonds. I like automation, but not that stuff.
This made no sense. You're somehow "playing the game" because your turtles excavate stupidly and slow?

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
the keridos collaborative shape builder is soon to incorporate gps and has some experimental session resume support, this in addition to the resupply functions already present.

i do quibble with its turn towards needing placement in the corner of an imaginary bounding box which would outline the desired structure(whereas the old sphere and dome program would start from center, or a wall edge depending. but meh).

also has some limited command line support for chaining build tasks together as opposed to having to manually interact with the prompts.
still very handy thing to have around when its tasks are called for.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
This made no sense. You're somehow "playing the game" because your turtles excavate stupidly and slow?
If I automate something, I will always do it in a way that requires supervision (not slap a solar panel and never look at it again) like giving the turtle fuel. And there is no difference between having a fortune turtle and a turtle that doesn't mine diamonds so you fortune it, I don't like to fortune/silk touch automated mine, for that I go to caves.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Wouldn't be a bad idea to add Emeralds as noise blocks, however, since they're pretty rare. I might have to start doing that in some of the quarries, but remove stone & dirt as noise blocks so i can easily spot the emeralds.
You could change the code to skip the first two blocks of the noise check below the y-level that emeralds start at, and have an emerald ore block as the third noise block.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
If I automate something, I will always do it in a way that requires supervision (not slap a solar panel and never look at it again) like giving the turtle fuel. And there is no difference between having a fortune turtle and a turtle that doesn't mine diamonds so you fortune it, I don't like to fortune/silk touch automated mine, for that I go to caves.

1. Solar panels arnt really automation anymore than a flower is 'automation' by being a passive source of dye. The automation comes from what is being done to it or taken from it by an automatic system
2. Supervision requirement isnt automation.
3. Even the default excavating turtle doesn't require any supervision. you set it to excavate, fuel it up, and put a buffer chest behind it

if you want to 'supervise' then follow the turtle and dont fuel it properly. ??? Crazy person

I think youre missing the point of computercraft.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
1. Solar panels arnt really automation anymore than a flower is 'automation' by being a passive source of dye. The automation comes from what is being done to it or taken from it by an automatic system
2. Supervision requirement isnt automation.
3. Even the default excavating turtle doesn't require any supervision. you set it to excavate, fuel it up, and put a buffer chest behind it

if you want to 'supervise' then follow the turtle and dont fuel it properly. ??? Crazy person

I think youre missing the point of computercraft.

this is a sandbox, I can go and slap the dragon in the face with a dragon egg if I want.

computercraft for me: a mining turtle that does a 30x30 square where I ask it to do.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest program is one where you have complete remote control over a turtle, using two advanced monitors and a computer with rednet. I included place, dig, detect, suck, drop and compare.
It took a while, I ran into a whole lot of problems while doing it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
this is a sandbox, I can go and slap the dragon in the face with a dragon egg if I want.

computercraft for me: a mining turtle that does a 30x30 square where I ask it to do.

Yeah, you can, no one was debating that, guy. o_O We were schooling you on the meanings of words, and rationality, actually. You were the one implying that others weren't 'playing the game' because they were using a much more efficient excavate script (and thereby admitting you dont really understand what Computercraft is for). So, like a caveman banging away and rocks and sticks, and loudly grunting how "stick and rock all GRUG will ever need!1" you may continue, while many of us are building the pyramids with Computercraft. But I guess that isn't "playing the game' to you. So you can take your little post there and apply it to yourself ;)

Guys, guys.

I have a thing that is cooler than all the other things.

It's basically a stereo system. It allows you to play music disks in truly random order; you build a big wall of disk drives, and the turtle moves about on the wall randomly. Any base is cooler with a stereo turtle.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/2420-truly-random-or-sequential-music-player/page__hl__+music +disk__fromsearch__1
Win

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, you can, no one was debating that, guy. o_O We were schooling you on the meanings of words, and rationality, actually. You were the one implying that others weren't 'playing the game' because they were using a much more efficient excavate script (and thereby admitting you dont really understand what Computercraft is for). So, like a caveman banging away and rocks and sticks, and loudly grunting how "stick and rock all GRUG will ever need!1" you may continue, while many of us are building the pyramids with Computercraft. But I guess that isn't "playing the game' to you. So you can take your little post there and apply it to yourself ;)

Win

who said to other people its not playing the game? it is what I feel, I'm not here to be all day writing m.peripheral wrap right, I rather go and build the things myself (which is more fun than /download.get pastebin.com/playthegameforyou