Votes: 72 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 546 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my design. I made this thinking aimming for better usability, after reading some posts here I saw that:

1. The 'launch' is the most important action for this launcher (duh), so i moved it to the top left, right under the user profile for
quicker access.

2. The tabs on the old launcher took a good amount of the screen, so I moved it to the side and made it smaller for better view and distribution.

3. Lots of text and scrolls in the mods/maps/textures sections (the descriptions took about 1/2 of the screen, but only uses 1/3 of its space and create a long scroll bar), most packs have the same icons, only changing the text and unintuitive sorting options. So to address this I changed the least used options to icons, so they dont have the same weight as the most important ones. Put a banner (maybe with screenshots) on the description pages and moved the 'mods included' to a table for easy checking the contents and less scrolling. Also 2 types of layout for this page, the 'full layout' is the one in the image and the 'thumbnails', with only the thumbs for each pack for faster browsing.

3. Added a 'toggle console' embedded in the launcher, so you don't have 2 separate windows and can quick hide it.

4. Less gradients, shadows and textures. Skeuomorphism is getting old and users don't need a '3d' look anymore to know what's interactive and what's not. The flat design gives focus to what's important: the information and not the UI itself.

So what you guys think? Give me your feedback!

OBS.: This is a rough wireframe, the colors and icons are not final. I'm also changing the ftb logo.

feedthebeastui.jpg
This is my favorite one, by far.

zoahporre

Jul 29, 2019
I couldn't care less what it looks like, all i would really want is to know when there is an update for the modpacks.

Blueblight

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with some older posts about aesthetics, I think each modpack should have its own picture daiplayed to illustrate what the pack is. Maybe in game screenshots of the pack. Only problem is how to illustrate similar packs.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with some older posts about aesthetics, I think each modpack should have its own picture daiplayed to illustrate what the pack is. Maybe in game screenshots of the pack. Only problem is how to illustrate similar packs.

Hmm. To illustrate my perception of them:

DW20 pack: Picture of a bunch of Buildcraft stuff, it seems to focus on BC a bit more.
MC: Gregtech/Industrialcraft.
Ultimate: A bunch of stuff. AE especially.
Pax: A shot of the Pax map.
Magic world: Thaumcraft stuffage.
Tech world/Lite: Now these are tricky since they're fairly generic.
Ampz, RPGI, TFC when it finally gets released, Brony: Obvious.
Voxel: Vanilla.
YogCraft: Duncan!
FTBRSSP/FTBRSMP: The Beast.
FTBBPA: A greek letter beta.
Slow: A shot of Slow's world with Slow in it.

Radicaled

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my design. I made this thinking aimming for better usability, after reading some posts here I saw that:

1. The 'launch' is the most important action for this launcher (duh), so i moved it to the top left, right under the user profile for
quicker access.

I signed up for this forum just to like and comment on your design. It's clean and looks great!
I truly hope that the developers share my thoughts.

krlo5

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for the awesome feedbacks!

Here's a quick update:
- Changed the buttons, dropdowns, etc
- Added a download button for the "fullview mode"

About the feedbacks:
Zeroskillz4: That would be awesome, haven't thought about that.
cyberzwerg: Thanks!
indrada: That would be good, but I dont know how thay could implement it. Maybe when creating the Pack the user could upload some screenshots to the page.
Greevir: Thanks!
Blueblight: I agree, but it would be dificult to tell similar mods apart.
Radicaled: Thanks, its really good when people comment and share constructive feedback!

And more things:
- When in thumbnail mode, if you hover the cursor over the mod thumbnail, a bubble with some information about the mod will pop up and 2 icons will appear. 1 for editting it and the other for downloading.
- I'm still testing the colours. The cyan in the layout means active and primary buttons.
- There are good reasons not to make the entire layout gray/black/darker, so I used it just on the 'menu' to the left.

That's it! Give me your thoughts about the changes and the layout, guys!

And now some images:

The thumbnail mode
modpacksthumbsnormal.jpg

Mouse over
modpacksthumbsmouseover.jpg

ModPacks tab
feedthebeastui.jpg

Filter on
feedthebeastuifilter.jpg

Parasite03

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for the awesome feedbacks!

Here's a quick update:
- Changed the buttons, dropdowns, etc
- Added a download button for the "fullview mode"

About the feedbacks:
Zeroskillz4: That would be awesome, haven't thought about that.
cyberzwerg: Thanks!
indrada: That would be good, but I dont know how thay could implement it. Maybe when creating the Pack the user could upload some screenshots to the page.
Greevir: Thanks!
Blueblight: I agree, but it would be dificult to tell similar mods apart.
Radicaled: Thanks, its really good when people comment and share constructive feedback!

And more things:
- When in thumbnail mode, if you hover the cursor over the mod thumbnail, a bubble with some information about the mod will pop up and 2 icons will appear. 1 for editting it and the other for downloading.
- I'm still testing the colours. The cyan in the layout means active and primary buttons.
- There are good reasons not to make the entire layout gray/black/darker, so I used it just on the 'menu' to the left.

That's it! Give me your thoughts about the changes and the layout, guys!

And now some images:

The thumbnail mode
modpacksthumbsnormal.jpg

Mouse over
modpacksthumbsmouseover.jpg

ModPacks tab
feedthebeastui.jpg

Filter on
feedthebeastuifilter.jpg
This is such an awesome design!

That guy

Jul 29, 2019
change the colour scheme slightly it reminds me of halloween[DOUBLEPOST=1366045512][/DOUBLEPOST]change the colour scheme slightly it reminds me of halloween

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
just wanted to say that you have to reprogram the launcher as well: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/324470624309374976 https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/324475459427512320

oh and about the design: please change the close and minify button to a single color and non-stretched (with non-stretched i mean more like a square instead of an wide rectangle) version they look bad like they are with the color transition :/

I'm pretty sure (but could be completely wrong) Dinnerbone just means that 1.6 won't be accessible through the old vanilla launcher, since FTB uses it's own launcher and not the vanilla one this probably won't be a problem.

rem

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure (but could be completely wrong) Dinnerbone just means that 1.6 won't be accessible through the old vanilla launcher, since FTB uses it's own launcher and not the vanilla one this probably won't be a problem.
nope.
if you read the second tweet i linked you'll see that you are wrong. ^^

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Ah missed that oops, yeah looks like a redesign of the launchers code too, but since modded 1.6 won't be for a very long time I don't think this is a major concern right now.

Danman

Jul 29, 2019
Nice design but one thing i don't see in these screenshots is a maximize window button. The one thing that is also missing from the current launcher not being able to see the full list of mods.
A compare feature would be nice so you can list two or three modpacks at once.

bobjacques

Jul 29, 2019
I've been busy, but I was able to get some more work done on this launcher design.
Again a few things changed. But I'll let the pictures speak.
This is how the overal design looks for this proposal, more info and picture inside the spoiler tags.
2cymkk3.png

List View (above)
It's still a tile view, but this time with four buttons peeking from the top: Launch - Info - Extra - Edit.
Launch is quite self-explanatory, double clicking will also launch the game.

Info panel
Hasn't changed much since last time.
But in the mod list, the arrow is indeed the official mod page and the W is indeed the FTB wiki page.
16l0eb9.png

Extra's panel
Now this is a new concept in this design. I removed the separate categories for MAPS and TEXTUREPACKS.
This is a personal preference, since I don't really use either maps or texturepacks. By placing them together with each modpack it's easier for people to see which maps and texturepacks work well together with their chosen pack. Optionally there is also a place where some official SEEDS can be shared.
(I'm not really sure about this change, since the discoverability of new maps maybe isn't optimal. For example, you would have to install FTB retro first to find the official FTB maps.)
(+ I think there also should be a better way to show pictures of the given map, TP or seed.)
2qi05ro.png

Edit Panel
This one is new too, there's a few options available here.
  1. Name. (Put whatever info you like underneath each tile)
  2. Account to launch this pack with. (Default or other, see the accounts category)
  3. Config setting. (Easy, Hard, Extremely Hard, Custom, etc.)
  4. The basic pack selected. (Should be able to be vanilla too and will decide which image each tile uses)
  5. Version of the pack. (With upgrade/downgrade button)
  6. Back-up the whole game folder. (To selected location)
  7. Mods list. (Where each mod can be enabled or disabled + updated by selecting a new version)
    (And the ability to add or delete mods)
  8. Reset Button. (To default settings)
  9. Delete Button. (Will delete the complete tile and gamefolder)
2r5f3g2.png
This a new category to hopefully redirect people to the wiki first before overrunning the forums. ;)
It'll show the server status from the creeperhost repo's and the mojang servers. If a server is down it should show some helpful message.
soyb9l.png
In this category users can manage their accounts and select a default account to use for their modpacks.
The account can be selected per modpack under the edit button.
174fn8.png
I haven't worked on the Settings Category yet. Maybe it's something I'll do later.

EDIT: Am I the only one where the text within the spoilers is completely mashed up?
EDIT2: above edit seems to have fixed it?

Absolutely Beautiful. However, in the edit panel shouldn't it give you the option of duplicating a pack instead of starting two similar packs from scratch? Also, I think there'll be trouble when n00bs delete or change the default packs; so set them as locked? Otherwise, as I said. Beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.