Crafting electric circuits

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Which recipes are the best for crafting electric circuits and advanced electric circuits? Should you use electrum instead of redstone and halving the costs of other ingredients or is electrum more costly than the other ingredients? With silk touch you can get the redstone ore block for macerating and you get 10 redstone per ore that way but silver and gold are still only 2 per ore so redstone probably is way more abundant. Silver isn't rare at all but gold is pretty hard to come by. But do you need redstone for other things 5 times more or not? You do save on glowstone in the advanced circuit recipe, that might be worth it as glowstone doesn't have any new sources.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Depends entirely on your preferences and situation.

I was at one point completely out of redstone and had to use the alternate recipe. I'm happy the alternative was available, even though once my almost 9 chunk quarry run finished, it left me with 2/3 of a chest of redstone!

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I love electron tubes for advanced circuits. 5 iron, 2 redstone makes 4 iron electron tubes instead of 3 copper, 2 redstone, 1 refined iron, 6 rubber ....all for a single circuit.

Other than that I stick to stock for the recipes. As you said, while the silver is as abundant as dirt, the gold is quite rare.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I love electron tubes for advanced circuits. 5 iron, 2 redstone makes 4 iron electron tubes instead of 3 copper, 2 redstone, 1 refined iron, 6 rubber ....all for a single circuit.

Other than that I stick to stock for the recipes. As you said, while the silver is as abundant as dirt, the gold is quite rare.

Just go whack a couple of the little gremlin looking monsters in twilight forest, they drop gold nuggets. There are houses with mob generators that drop gold hoes you can 'uncraft'.. With twilight forest, gold is pretty easy to get :)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 gobbles redstone up like mad, especially if you're wanting to build a lot of solar panels. Additionally Thermal Expansion uses a significant amount of Redstone in order to make its energy storage block and the Conduits that are the most efficient way to "pipe" around Buildcraft power. Redstone is more plentiful, but these mods can be said to devour your redstone. I would say it depends on how much Gold you're managing to find at the time, but if you're managing to stay ahead of your Gold consumption, you may as well use it to help prolong your Redstone, especially if your focus is on the IC2 tech tree which uses very little Gold normally.

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 gobbles redstone up like mad, especially if you're wanting to build a lot of solar panels. Additionally Thermal Expansion uses a significant amount of Redstone in order to make its energy storage block and the Conduits that are the most efficient way to "pipe" around Buildcraft power. Redstone is more plentiful, but these mods can be said to devour your redstone. I would say it depends on how much Gold you're managing to find at the time, but if you're managing to stay ahead of your Gold consumption, you may as well use it to help prolong your Redstone, especially if your focus is on the IC2 tech tree which uses very little Gold normally.
Good to know! I knew there was a reason I never pass up a redstone vein, as some of my server mates commonly do. I have a barrel full of redstone right now xD

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Just a heads up then, you'll get more Redstone if you collect it with the Rock Cutter and then macerate it. Unless the numbers changed in the latest round of updates, the Macerator gets the highest Redstone yield, even over Fortune III if I'm not mistaken.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Just go whack a couple of the little gremlin looking monsters in twilight forest, they drop gold nuggets. There are houses with mob generators that drop gold hoes you can 'uncraft'.. With twilight forest, gold is pretty easy to get :)

Sorry, I meant compared to redstone. I don't have a shortage of gold, but I've got more redstone than even silver. That's even with using EE3 to convert a bit of my gold into diamonds.

It should also be noted that you can grab glowstone from a Myst age and stick it in the Industrial Centrifuge. 16 glowstone dust will get you 8 gold dust.

Eh, go run a single 64x64 quarry to bedrock and you'll probably never need redstone again. I have been making all sorts of redstone heavy items, including lots of solar panels, some MFSUs, etc...and I have about 15-20 stacks just sitting in a chest. I really need a redstone storage block to add it all to my ever growing store room:)

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I meant compared to redstone. I don't have a shortage of gold, but I've got more redstone than even silver. That's even with using EE3 to convert a bit of my gold into diamonds.

It should also be noted that you can grab glowstone from a Myst age and stick it in the Industrial Centrifuge. 16 glowstone dust will get you 8 gold dust.

Eh, go run a single 64x64 quarry to bedrock and you'll probably never need redstone again. I have been making all sorts of redstone heavy items, including lots of solar panels, some MFSUs, etc...and I have about 15-20 stacks just sitting in a chest. I really need a redstone storage block to add it all to my ever growing store room:)
Use Factorization barrels. They are made literally from 7 logs in a U-shape and a wooden half-slab in the top middle slot. They can store 64 stacks of whatever goes in, but only that item. I use them to store items I acquire in large quantities, while diamond chests for items I acquire in small quantities.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Use Factorization barrels. They are made literally from 7 logs in a U-shape and a wooden half-slab in the top middle slot. They can store 64 stacks of whatever goes in, but only that item. I use them to store items I acquire in large quantities, while diamond chests for items I acquire in small quantities.

Oh, I'm not out of room...I meant I actually have a large room where I am filling it with giant storage blocks because it looks great and adding redstone to it would look even better. Currently I do not have any blocks that are red. Diamond is blue, Emerald is Green, Aluminum is White, Silver is a bit Blue, Gold is Yellow, Lapis is Blue. No red:(

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Gold is actually necessary if you want to do any sort of efficient piping or medium/high voltage stuff. There is one point, though. Redstone and gold are both renewable, silver is not. So redstone would be a better choice if the recipes didn't also use non-renewable copper. Since you can make the glass fibre cable with silver I think it is better saved for that, saves on diamonds, too.

Hey that's way too good! Is it a GregTech recipe or another mod that does that? Seems super OP to me. The Thermionic Fabricator isn't even high tech at all either. Damn man, you just showed the light to me. No more stupid rubber extracting either!

Oh, I'm not out of room...I meant I actually have a large room where I am filling it with giant storage blocks because it looks great and adding redstone to it would look even better. Currently I do not have any blocks that are red. Diamond is blue, Emerald is Green, Aluminum is White, Silver is a bit Blue, Gold is Yellow, Lapis is Blue. No red:(
Some mod has added rubies but I haven't seen a single one yet. Scrapbox drops them 0.19% of the time.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Gold is actually necessary if you want to do any sort of efficient piping or medium/high voltage stuff. There is one point, though. Redstone and gold are both renewable, silver is not. So redstone would be a better choice if the recipes didn't also use non-renewable copper. Since you can make the glass fibre cable with silver I think it is better saved for that, saves on diamonds, too.

Hey that's way too good! Is it a GregTech recipe or another mod that does that? Seems super OP to me. The Thermionic Fabricator isn't even high tech at all either. Damn man, you just showed the light to me. No more stupid rubber extracting either!

Some mod has added rubies but I haven't seen a single one yet. Scrapbox drops them 0.19% of the time.

Yup, gregtech for both. It basically goes through and says A, B and C are equivalent in recipes, and X,Y,Z are as well. Iron tubes is one of the few of any use though.

Rubies and Sapphires are both gregtech and are Biome specific. Rubies are desert, Sapphire are ocean. Bauxite is Forest and Plains only, though to me it seems rarer in plains.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, gregtech for both. It basically goes through and says A, B and C are equivalent in recipes, and X,Y,Z are as well. Iron tubes is one of the few of any use though.

Rubies and Sapphires are both gregtech and are Biome specific. Rubies are desert, Sapphire are ocean. Bauxite is Forest and Plains only, though to me it seems rarer in plains.
I thought GregTech was supposed to make the game harder. It just changes things but doesn't really make anything harder. It's just a redundant way to make the mods work together. Things should be removed instead of adding or changing them. Pulverizer, rock crusher and macerator are basically all doing the same thing but you should only put some things in one and others in another one etc. The mods were designed separately and are balanced by itself but combining them makes them all OP.

Oh yeah I found some sapphires and Fortune'd 'em. I'm swimming in bauxite but don't have the required machinery to even use it yet. Seems stupid that such a high tech ore is mineable with stone picks.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Bauxite actually isn't a high tech ore. It's a very common and simple ore. It's the primary source of Aluminum which is the 3rd most abundant element on the entire planet. The problem is actually separating pure aluminum, and this is why for a long time Aluminum was more valuable that Gold and was reserved only for the extremely wealthy. Now that we have found methods of processing it is extremely common and cheap though. So, greg-tech actually did pretty well there...better than most anything else in all of Minecraft:)

I definitely agree though that 1 mod should not change or remove something from another on its own.

From there, tuning a modpack I think should be entirely up to individual servers. Adjust for the style of server you want.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I consider the alternatives much cheaper than the original ones. As a matter of fact I'd prefer if I could use vacuum tubes in all recipes which require a circuit.

It's probably because I'm too lazy to build a proper rubber tree farm.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I consider the alternatives much cheaper than the original ones. As a matter of fact I'd prefer if I could use vacuum tubes in all recipes which require a circuit.

It's probably because I'm too lazy to build a proper rubber tree farm.

I would love to use tubes in place of all circuits as well, but it seems to only work on advanced circuits. I have no idea what causes different equivalent items to work in some recipes but not others. Oh well:(

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I would love to use tubes in place of all circuits as well, but it seems to only work on advanced circuits. I have no idea what causes different equivalent items to work in some recipes but not others. Oh well:(
Gregtech :D. that's the mod which added those recipes(which I'm thankful for), he didn't bother to do the rest of 'em though. I'm sure he had his own reasons.

You know, gregtech's starting to remind me of btw in a way, there's this strong love/hate relation its users have with it.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019

Well technically copper is renewable :p (not counting Mystcraft-Ages), I'm not sure about Silver, but I'm sure with copper, since if it wouldn't be renewable selfgrowing solarplants wouldn't be possible^^

Gregtech :D. that's the mod which added those recipes(which I'm thankful for), he didn't bother to do the rest of 'em though. I'm sure he had his own reasons.

You know, gregtech's starting to remind me of btw in a way, there's this strong love/hate relation its users have with it.

Well... for BtW it's more the creator than the mod. BtW is very nice, although it is technically more a vanilla-extension (since vanilla-minecraft does not really make much sense).

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I just found a dirty cheap alternative to advanced circuits: Pulsating chipset

You need assembly table to make them but they only take one redstone and an ender pearl for TWO. Advanced circuits normally take 4 redstone among other things so this is kind of ridiculous that it is possible. You just have to hunt Endermen or make a small farm in the End.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
I personally alternate recipes depending on what resource is most abundant in my chests. Right now, I'm trying to use aluminum as much as I can, as I currently have a little more than 64 Iron and a little less than 64 blocks of aluminum atm.