Votes: 72 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 546 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xer0_G

Jul 29, 2019
1. An option to play offline, like the vanilla launcher.
2. Optifine installed on all modpacks.

Before I discovered FTB, I used to play Tekkit, which had both of these. They are the only things I lost when I switched to FTB and I really miss them. I have a painfully slow internet connection and sometimes no connection at all, so the offline thing is the REALLY important to me. I also realize that my other suggestion isn't really to do with the launcher design, but it's something else I really want added.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
1. An option to play offline, like the vanilla launcher.
2. Optifine installed on all modpacks.

Before I discovered FTB, I used to play Tekkit, which had both of these. They are the only things I lost when I switched to FTB and I really miss them. I have a painfully slow internet connection and sometimes no connection at all, so the offline thing is the REALLY important to me. I also realize that my other suggestion isn't really to do with the launcher design, but it's something else I really want added.
1. There is one, you just need to have the pack downloaded already and be unable to log in.
2. FTB does not have permission to distribute Optifine. You can install yourself easily though. There are many tutorials on YouTube.

Xer0_G

Jul 29, 2019
1. There is one, you just need to have the pack downloaded already and be unable to log in.
2. FTB does not have permission to distribute Optifine. You can install yourself easily though. There are many tutorials on YouTube.

Are you sure? I've tried playing offline before and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure I had the mod pack downloaded but maybe I didn't. Thanks for that!

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure? I've tried playing offline before and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure I had the mod pack downloaded but maybe I didn't. Thanks for that!

Yes it does work. I just disconnected my internet to double check.

As long as you are entering the same username/password but Minecraft servers or your internet is off then it will come up an error first then after you hit ok it does another pop up saying "Something has gone wrong. Would you like to play offline?" you hit yes and it will load for you.

That is update to date FTB launcher.

Chinthor

Jul 29, 2019
I know this idea has been raised, but here's a bump along with a new good reason.

The ability to create custom private packs on the client side, locked in at various versions, seems more important now. It seems that 1.5 (and up) will bend mods to the point of breaking old worlds. And that's ok. So long as we are able to easily keep our previous version setups.

So. Mod devs? Go ahead and break compatibility with previous worlds. We can take it. But please allow us to keep multiple instances inside of FTB. We'll happily roll a new one if we can keep the old one.

Cheers.

Ramireztime

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE 2

Worked on the "Advanced" options a bit more. The biggest change is the config editor, which many people have been talking about. The New "Configs" sub-option under "Advanced" would allow you to quickly check or uncheck, specify a block/item id, or disable blocks/items all without opening your favorite text editor. Seeing how many forge mods are following a "standard" and "layout" for config files, this could be easily achieved, but there would still be options for those mods to "edit in notepad". So when you add a mod and it conflicts, you can easily change configs here instead of in notepad. With some sort of built-in ID resolver, you can also get "notifications" for ids/mods that have the same ids. These would show up as red in the "mods" list on the left. A yellow "!" Warning triangle would appear next to the conflicting id, and clicking on it would show you the other mod with the same id. Exceptions would exist for mods that make changes to vanilla recipes, like Railcraft and carts.

Original Post (updated pictures)
Hope I'm not too late... these are just some of what I've been working on. These designs could both work for a desktop program, which this currently is made to be (it's maximized.) or it could easily translate to a metro Windows Store app. As with the current launcher, there is a universal login with an ability to add accounts. your player skin is rendered in 3d in the box where your username appears (in my case "Ramireztime") You can change settings by hovering over your player avatar and clicking on it. (a "+" would appear to the lower right next to your username, this is where you can add another account. As for the options on the main screen, its only 3 because simple is better. The options for Texture packs and Maps are relevant to the modpack you choose to download (as seen in Fig. 2) In the second picture I want to point out also that when there is an update available for a modpack, you can specify if you don't want to see the notification, that you don't want to update, or to just update (and also automatically). The dropdown on the "Launch" or "Update" button allows you to also gives you the option to see prior versions of the modpack or options related to just that modpack. Not pictured yet, but at the end of, or to the left of the "FTB Ultimate pack" there is the option to add and instance of a currently existing modpack, or a custom one from a link.

Pictures
(Fig. 1) This is the Home screen of the app program.
(Fig. 2) This is the Modpack list of the app program.
(Fig. 3) This is the Modpack list but "zoomed" out.
The options are split into 4 sections:
General
Notifications
Sync (would be a neat feature for FTB)
Advanced - Sub-options available
Extras
Java Settings
Configs
Feedback is greatly appreciated. :)
(sorry for the essay ^^)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Hope I'm not too late... these are just some of what I've been working on. These designs could both work for a desktop program, which this currently is made to be (it's maximized.) or it could easily translate to a metro Windows Store app. As with the current launcher, there is a universal login with an ability to add accounts. your player skin is rendered in 3d in the box where your username appears (in my case "Ramireztime") You can change settings by hovering over your player avatar and clicking on it. (a "+" would appear to the lower right next to your username, this is where you can add another account. As for the options on the main screen, its only 3 because simple is better. The options for Texture packs and Maps are relevant to the modpack you choose to download (as seen in Fig. 2) In the second picture I want to point out also that when there is an update available for a modpack, you can specify if you don't want to see the notification, that you don't want to update, or to just update (and also automatically). The dropdown on the "Launch" or "Update" button allows you to also gives you the option to see prior versions of the modpack or options related to just that modpack. Not pictured yet, but at the end of, or to the left of the "FTB Ultimate pack" there is the option to add and instance of a currently existing modpack, or a custom one from a link.

(Fig. 1) This is the Home screen of the app program.
(Fig. 2) This is the Modpack list of the app program.
(Fig. 3) Still working on the options.

Feedback is greatly appreciated. :) (sorry for the essay ^^)
That's a very nice and clean design, although I do have a couple of issues
1. The amount you have to scroll through to get the pack you want. Maybe a bar at the top with all the packs?
2. The update available notification doesn't really make sense. Hardly anyone even has all the packs downloaded, let alone wants to have an annoying thing telling them to update a pack they never use.

Ramireztime

Jul 29, 2019
That's a very nice and clean design, although I do have a couple of issues
1. The amount you have to scroll through to get the pack you want. Maybe a bar at the top with all the packs?
2. The update available notification doesn't really make sense. Hardly anyone even has all the packs downloaded, let alone wants to have an annoying thing telling them to update a pack they never use.

1. I actually have a solution for this that does not use a scrollbar or drop down for the mod packs, it involves "Semantic Zoom" from Windows 8. Basically you can toggle the current view or a "thumbnail-like" view.
2. I guess it could be disabled, but it doesn't need to give you updates for all of the mod packs, just the ones you have installed. It was really just an idea to revamp the current update system, which is the popup window, for either the launcher or the mod packs themselves.
I'll take the notification issue and do something with it in the options... thanks :)

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
1. I actually have a solution for this that does not use a scrollbar or drop down for the mod packs, it involves "Semantic Zoom" from Windows 8. Basically you can toggle the current view or a "thumbnail-like" view.
2. I guess it could be disabled, but it doesn't need to give you updates for all of the mod packs, just the ones you have installed. It was really just an idea to revamp the current update system, which is the popup window, for either the launcher or the mod packs themselves.
I'll take the notification issue and do something with it in the options... thanks :)
1. Many people do not use Windows 8. Do not make any features reliant on it
2. Okay cool :) Looking forward to what you come up with

krlo5

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my design. I made this thinking aimming for better usability, after reading some posts here I saw that:

1. The 'launch' is the most important action for this launcher (duh), so i moved it to the top left, right under the user profile for
quicker access.

2. The tabs on the old launcher took a good amount of the screen, so I moved it to the side and made it smaller for better view and distribution.

3. Lots of text and scrolls in the mods/maps/textures sections (the descriptions took about 1/2 of the screen, but only uses 1/3 of its space and create a long scroll bar), most packs have the same icons, only changing the text and unintuitive sorting options. So to address this I changed the least used options to icons, so they dont have the same weight as the most important ones. Put a banner (maybe with screenshots) on the description pages and moved the 'mods included' to a table for easy checking the contents and less scrolling. Also 2 types of layout for this page, the 'full layout' is the one in the image and the 'thumbnails', with only the thumbs for each pack for faster browsing.

3. Added a 'toggle console' embedded in the launcher, so you don't have 2 separate windows and can quick hide it.

4. Less gradients, shadows and textures. Skeuomorphism is getting old and users don't need a '3d' look anymore to know what's interactive and what's not. The flat design gives focus to what's important: the information and not the UI itself.

So what you guys think? Give me your feedback!

OBS.: This is a rough wireframe, the colors and icons are not final. I'm also changing the ftb logo.

feedthebeastui.jpg

Zeroskillz4

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my design. I made this thinking aimming for better usability, after reading some posts here I saw that:

1. The 'launch' is the most important action for this launcher (duh), so i moved it to the top left, right under the user profile for
quicker access.

Basing off your design perhaps have a way to drag modpack icons off onto the desktop to create quick start shortcut? It would really seem to fit with your design. A nice spot for the ftb logo would be above the login area, fitting it in however is a completely different matter :p best of luck on the design.

cyberzwerg

Jul 29, 2019

quicker access.

2. The tabs on the old launcher took a good amount of the screen, so I moved it to the side and made it smaller for better view and distribution.

3. Lots of text and scrolls in the mods/maps/textures sections (the descriptions took about 1/2 of the screen, but only uses 1/3 of its space and create a long scroll bar), most packs have the same icons, only changing the text and unintuitive sorting options. So to address this I changed the least used options to icons, so they dont have the same weight as the most important ones. Put a banner (maybe with screenshots) on the description pages and moved the 'mods included' to a table for easy checking the contents and less scrolling. Also 2 types of layout for this page, the 'full layout' is the one in the image and the 'thumbnails', with only the thumbs for each pack for faster browsing.

3. Added a 'toggle console' embedded in the launcher, so you don't have 2 separate windows and can quick hide it.

4. Less gradients, shadows and textures. Skeuomorphism is getting old and users don't need a '3d' look anymore to know what's interactive and what's not. The flat design gives focus to what's important: the information and not the UI itself.

So what you guys think? Give me your feedback!

OBS.: This is a rough wireframe, the colors and icons are not final. I'm also changing the ftb logo.

feedthebeastui.jpg
Very nice! I like it alot! Tho why does it show modpack information if you're on the News tab?

krlo5

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice! I like it alot! Tho why does it show modpack information if you're on the News tab?
What killie01 said, I'm just showing the active button. But you gave me a good idea, to move to news tab to the bottom.

Thanks for the ffedback guys, I'll be posting new screens soon!

indrada

Jul 29, 2019
I think when you go to download a world rather rhthan sayin oh we got so and so kilobites downloaded out of so and so, there shold be a slideshow of the amzing lumps of technology, or the scenic weiws of the map or the amazing magic that has been done in it.
When downloading a modpack, maybe show what becomes. possible withe ach of the mods individually and as a whole like maybe a redpower sorting mahine, or a railcraft rollercoaster and together a massive auto quarry using redpower frames, buildcraft ming wells railcraft loading and unloading carts, then portal gun to transport that cart, and even computercraft for control and
Maybe you could have a change log for all the mods, and vannilla minecraft but thats just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.