Easy Spongeforge guide 1.12.2 - Plus Plugin install & Little video

Wan't a Modpack guide with spongeforge

• Total voters

Shuuin

Jul 29, 2019
This is part 1 out of 2.
Second part will be made after shown interest.
In the second part, i will show how you setup Spongeforge for Modpacks.

Around 2 years ago i posted 2 guides for setting up Modpack, where you could run plugins.
Sadly, we can't run or normal bukkit plugins as we use to. So we have to use Sponge/Spongeforge.

Luckily, many developers have made a good amount of different plugins for us to use on these Spongeforge servers.

Let's get started!!

I recommend watching video first and then read guide if you didn't understand everything in guide. No audio....

Files needed:
Spongeforge, i recommend using the recommended build for this: Spongeforge
Forge, i will be using the Installer. It's a 1000 times easier, use recommended here too: Forge Installer
This is the plugin i used: Chest refill and this is where you will find many plugins: Plugins

Setup:
  1. Create folder on desktop etc "I called mine Server" and start the forge installer. Locate your "Server" folder on desktop and click Install server.
  2. It will download all files and extract them in the "Server" folder for you.
  3. Let's make a "Mods" folder, when created open folder and "Copy & Paste" the "spongeforge-1.12.2-2768-7.1.4.jar" file into it.
  4. Let's make a "Plugins" folder too. This is where we will be putting or plugins, that we downloaded from Sponge later on. "Seen in video too"
finalizing
Time to create two more files in the "Server" folder before we start. Create a text file and rename it to "start.bat" and make a "eula.txt".
We will be putting this inside the "
Eula.txt" write "eula=true" and save. This will just do so we won't have to wait on the server to create it for us and will make the startup seem faster.
We will now be putting this text inside the "
start.bat" file.

"java -Xms1024M -Xmx4048M -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2768-universal.jar nogui
pause"

This is just a simple startup jvm code, same i used and same seen in video below.
We will now be starting the server, and it should start without any trouble. After startup, stop the server by typing "
stop". This will start the server and save the worlds.
It's time to install the plugin inside the "
Plugins" folder we created at the beginning, which where located in the "Mods" folder.
It will be like installing a plugin for your bukkit server. Find plugin, download and put in plugins folder. When that is done, you can now start the server again and the console will be saying how many and which plugin was found and create it's config files.

Config files are located in your main "Server" folder, under "config" folder. And then it's named after the "plugin" itself. "Seen in video"

You are now done setting up your Forge server with plugins. Ask for if needed. Reply's may be slow.

Last edited:

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Always good with tutorials for those that need it.

But:
This is part 1 out of 2.
Second part will be made after shown interest.
In the second part, i will show how you setup Spongeforge for Modpacks.
Why not post the full tutorial from start (getting feedback could take a long time) - or at least explain what's expected in part 2?

Also:
Create folder on desktop "I called mine Server" and start the forge installer. Locate your "Server" folder on desktop and click Install server.

I would strongly advise not to use Desktop for running your server - in later versions of Windows 10 there's a option for the user to include Desktop in OneDrive (as part of securing your personal data) - this might cause issues when trying to run your server (or client data), from Desktop. Create a new folder c:\ftbserver or c:\games (or other drive, just stay out of pre-created folders and you should be good).

Other than that, nice guide :)

Reactions: Shuuin

Shuuin

Jul 29, 2019
Why not post the full tutorial from start (getting feedback could take a long time) - or at least explain what's expected in part 2?
Because i want to see if i should put in the extra work to show how to setup the server with a modpack. There will have to be made few changed to config's too, because every modpack is different and i have a feeling spongeforge might so something to the modspacks with quests.
But i don't know yet, so as of right now i am just playing around with everything.
Even if people don't want a part 2, i will make one.

I would strongly advise not to use Desktop for running your server - in later versions of Windows 10 there's a option for the user to include Desktop in OneDrive (as part of securing your personal data) - this might cause issues when trying to run your server (or client data), from Desktop. Create a new folder c:\ftbserver or c:\games (or other drive, just stay out of pre-created folders and you should be good).

I use my own desktop computer for this, i don't own a dedicated machine anymore or my own hosting company anymore. Everything is sold so i could start over. Just expensive as hell haha.
But by doing it like this, everyone can test on their own computer at first and then move over to their hosted server. And depending on what controlpanel their host uses, it's just drag and drop. I setup a multicraft panel on my vm earlier too. And tested, it's just drag and drop into the multicraft panel. And move jar files to the "Jar" folder :)

Good day and thanks :D

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I use my own desktop computer for this, i don't own a dedicated machine anymore or my own hosting company anymore. Everything is sold so i could start over. Just expensive as hell haha.
But by doing it like this, everyone can test on their own computer at first and then move over to their hosted server. And depending on what controlpanel their host uses, it's just drag and drop. I setup a multicraft panel on my vm earlier too. And tested, it's just drag and drop into the multicraft panel. And move jar files to the "Jar" folder

You're missing the point - read again what I wrote. The issue isn't that you're using your local machine, the issue might be the usage of the location "Desktop". My suggestion is to use a different folder on your machine - I never said you should buy a server.

Shuuin

Jul 29, 2019
You're missing the point - read again what I wrote. The issue isn't that you're using your local machine, the issue might be the usage of the location "Desktop". My suggestion is to use a different folder on your machine - I never said you should buy a server.

Not needed to change the location. When ever i finish a guide or testing i delete every file there is and save configs on my cloud for next testing server i need to setup or make a guide from.

Good day ;)

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
You're still not getting what I'm trying to tell you.

In later versions of Windows 10 there's a option to include the Desktop location as a part of OneDrive - with this setting there will be issues running server and/or client if you have the files located on the Desktop.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you place it on your desktop and that works for you - it will most likely not work for everyone else - thus making it a poor guide.

And I'm guessing that you didn't write this guide just for yourself, you want it to be helpful and used by others?

Shuuin

Jul 29, 2019
You're still not getting what I'm trying to tell you.

In later versions of Windows 10 there's a option to include the Desktop location as a part of OneDrive - with this setting there will be issues running server and/or client if you have the files located on the Desktop.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you place it on your desktop and that works for you - it will most likely not work for everyone else - thus making it a poor guide.

And I'm guessing that you didn't write this guide just for yourself, you want it to be helpful and used by others?
I think that part of where the server files are located are up to the person who follow's that guide.
I just had mine in desktop, i'm not telling everyone to put it on the desktop.
Plus what a stupid ida, the onedrive thing. First thing i remove from computer.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I think that part of where the server files are located are up to the person who follow's that guide.
Most people following guides don't have that kind of understanding or knowledge.

I just had mine in desktop, i'm not telling everyone to put it on the desktop.
Well, you kind of do when you write it in a guide. The nature of following a guide is to do exactly what the guide states.

And this is from your guide:
Create folder on desktop etc "I called mine Server" and start the forge installer. Locate your "Server" folder on desktop and click Install server.

Plus what a stupid ida, the onedrive thing. First thing i remove from computer.
I don't think that's at all stupid, it's a great way to protect your data (for ransomware, crashes and so on) - but not a great place to run applications from (never been a good place for applications).
And even if you think it's stupid (that's really up to you), my guess is that not everyone else turns protection off for their data - It's just a fact that the feature is there and is being used by people.

I'm trying to give you feedback on your post as it contains possible issues - based on the way you respond It's obvious that you're not susceptible and you go in full defense mode.

I'm not going to tell you how to respond or feel, but perhaps "oh, I didn't know that - I'll make a note of that" - would have been a much easier way than to go head over heals to "be right". To me that's just foolish pride.

Just to be clear: I'm not in any way or form saying your guide is bad or pointing out the issue for my own gain - It's a good guide, and I'm pointing out the possible issue/s/ for your gain and for the people that read it

S

ScaryScoope

Can i use spongeforge-1.12.2-2768-7.1.4.jar with FTVserver-1.12.2-14.23.5.2772-universal.jar?