Creating Minecraft videos too time consuming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

EricBuist

Hi,
I would like to know how people manage to create videos posted on YouTube, because what I tried is very tedious and time consuming. Each and every time, I end up having to spend hours in editing software cutting away some stuff and ending up with 45+ minutes episodes. I need to split, again and again, record additional voice overs with "Hi I'm Eric Buist on Minecraft ...", "That's how the episode will end...", and I'm pretty fed up of this. This may be partly because my gameplay is too bad, not smooth enough, partly because OBS doesn't have any indication of any kind, on screen, of recorded duration. I don't expect solution here for the first potential issue, but maybe somebody could advise on how OBS could display recording duration, or any alternative to OBS that would allow this.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Creating anything original/of quality will always require a lot of time and effort.

You could perhaps cut down on the editing with proper planning and preparations before hand. Prepare a script of what you want to show(don't need to be word for word, a general flowchart will do) . Prepare and set up in advance so you can leave out the boring bits.

As for OBS it has a timer at the bottom of its panel. I am guessing you only have one monitor, which is why you cannot see it while in-game? I would suggest to anyone who do any kind of "work" or even just gaming on a PC to get a secondary monitor. It makes a huge diference. And decent monitors are dirt cheap these days.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Creating anything original/of quality will always require a lot of time and effort.

You could perhaps cut down on the editing with proper planning and preparations before hand. Prepare a script of what you want to show(don't need to be word for word, a general flowchart will do) . Prepare and set up in advance so you can leave out the boring bits.

This is the big one here.

Have a plan, break it up into smaller chunks. Can't just say "Day one punch wood, day two DR Energy Sphere" even if that is your end goal.

Mine your resources ahead of time. Don't get caught in the "and now I'm short 3 iron bars... be back after a bit of mining!" trap. This will save you editing time :)

If need be, have a duplicate world where you can practice what you want to do (go creative, why not) set up some systems, try them out to make sure where you are going to place things / machines so you are not wasting time with moving them around after placement (this use to be the death of me with EU machines and their reverting back to machine casing block days), nor the "well, I thought this mod worked this way.. huh.. let me look it up" (also known as DireDerp)

But I haven't posted a vid in ages, hell I think I deleted most of them, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I think it comes down to this. Do you like making Minecraft videos, or do you want to be the guy?

The people putting hours into their videos do it because they want both. It's not really labor if you love it. That's time we'll spent. Know yourself. If you don't enjoy the process, find another way to be the guy that suits you better.

I, personally, am the opposite. I enjoy recording little time lapses of my plays just to see them myself. But, I have no interest in being the guy, so I don't edit them or do a voice over or anything. Just save them like a photo album and post em in the showcase in case anyone is interested in following along or catching up. But they key is, even if I'm spending hours making the videos, it never feels like work. It should BE a lot of work, but it should never feel like it.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This is probably more a personal opinion, but I would also suggest trying to do something original or informative. The world really doesn't need more people just doing random aimless videos :p
If you manage at that, more people will be interested in watching. And that usually leads to increased motivation/incentive to put more effort into making vids.

And I have to agree with Drbretto. If you really want to pursue it semi seriously, then make sure you enjoy all of it.

Last edited:

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
This is just my opinion on streamers, take it for whatever value it has to you.

1) Brevity is the soul of whit. Get to the friggin point already. If the point of your video is to show how to automate process X with machine Y, then SHOW IT ALREADY! I don't care about finding material in Z biome, or how your base is set up, or why you decided on playing this pack instead of that pack. I don't want to see the 40 second logo you created for the intro to your videos, I don't want to hear the music you think is awesome in the background, I don't care you had a cold recently or that your cat threw up on your keyboard. Get to the point.
2) See bullet point 1.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
This is just my opinion on streamers, take it for whatever value it has to you.

1) Brevity is the soul of whit. Get to the friggin point already. If the point of your video is to show how to automate process X with machine Y, then SHOW IT ALREADY! I don't care about finding material in Z biome, or how your base is set up, or why you decided on playing this pack instead of that pack. I don't want to see the 40 second logo you created for the intro to your videos, I don't want to hear the music you think is awesome in the background, I don't care you had a cold recently or that your cat threw up on your keyboard. Get to the point.
2) See bullet point 1.

*blaring microphone* WWWWWWWHAT UP EVERYBODY! IT'S YER BOY HERE WITH ANOTHER MINECRAFT VIDEO! ARE YOU READY TO HAVE YOUR MIND BLOWN? SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON! POUND THE SUBSCRIBE! I'VE ALSO GOT A PATREON THAT YOU SHOULD TOTALLY CHECK OUT!

*shakes head, click back to find another video

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't over think it. Just make your episode and don't worry about it being perfect. You see a lot of too perfect YTers and they don't feel quite right. You'll screw up, make mistakes and it's fine. Leave 'em in.

I only have room for a single monitor, so I use the stopwatch function on my phone clock. It's on a little stand at the base of my monitor.

My videos are all entirely recorded on the fly, and are stream of consciousness as I play. I almost never edit them, or cut and paste them together. My thought is Do it right the first time and you don't have to jump around or cut in and out.

Nath

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly just do what you enjoy. I know it's what everyone says but it really makes a difference to the content you put out.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame