Does anyone use IC2 any more?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
To be honest, IC2 has not been my first or last thought in most modpacks, I have played in months. In my own personal modpack, I have dropped the mod due to lack of use. There are a lot of much better alternatives.

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
i stopped using it when most of the stuff in the mod got changed (no, i doint mean when it went from IC to IC2)
like when you needed a hammer and a cutter, to craft copper cables ... and stuff ike that

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I still use IC2 every day, because I only play GregTech modpacks. GregTech version 5 requires IC2 because GregTech is kind of like a greatly expanded version of IC2, it's built atop the IC2 platform.

The latest GregTech version 6 seems to be an attempt to (at long last) pull away and separate from IC2 completely, but GT6 is still in development stages. Greg (to say the least) is not a fast worker on his mod. :) But he makes the best mod for minecraft by far, in my opinion, and its never even been close.

Reactions: Pyure

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I use it for flight and for the compressor. The Induction Furnace is still the fastest smelter in the game...

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
If it's required, I speed rush the mod to get out of it as quickly as I can. EU is a pain to deal with...

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I think the last time I even look at it was because of a pack where it was the only pump and I wanted to automate bloodcraft lava production for some reason or other. That was back when 1.10 was the latest minecraft version. I don't think I've payed any serious attention to it since they decided to make everything excessively tedious and annoying.

deadscion

Mar 18, 2016
So, it is not my imagination. IC2 does not compete well with other mods for many reasons. Thanks

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I use it for flight and for the compressor. The Induction Furnace is still the fastest smelter in the game...

The jetpack is still the best way of getting to one of the later methods of full creative style flight but no the Induction furnace isn't even a competitor any longer the Nuclear furnace from Nuclear Craft cleans it's clock and runs on a material you will have a lot of and little use for.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I started IC when it was just crafted with ingots so when IC2 came out with all the hammering and snipping I quickly moved on. That's just too much time and resource waste to get a mod moving for my taste. And while yes, the Induction smelter, with enough power can me one of the fastest ways to cook stuff the amount if lead up to get there is not worth it. I can make a super smelter with vanilla furnaces, BC pipes, Thermal ducts, or EIO5 conduits that costs a lot less time, resources, frustration, that will cook just as fast.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Yeah, nowadays we have mods like Immersive Engineering, which doesn't require hammers and cutters and hammering plates and cutting wires.

And we also have mods like Thermal Expansion and Applied energetics, and Refined Storage. None of these require the crafting of components with sub components with even more sub components.

IC2, just isn't relevant anymore, it only does ore doubling, with a bit extra if you add more infrastructure. While modern mods like TE or EnderIO do things like ore doubling! And you can get a bit extra if you add more infrastructure.

Reactions: zBob

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, nowadays we have mods like Immersive Engineering, which doesn't require hammers and cutters and hammering plates and cutting wires.

And we also have mods like Thermal Expansion and Applied energetics, and Refined Storage. None of these require the crafting of components with sub components with even more sub components.

IC2, just isn't relevant anymore, it only does ore doubling, with a bit extra if you add more infrastructure. While modern mods like TE or EnderIO do things like ore doubling! And you can get a bit extra if you add more infrastructure.
Excellent use of sarcasm there - took me a couple of readthroughs ;)

Quick one: does TechReborn require the same thing with hammering plates, cutting wires and so on?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Don't know myself. I've never used Tech Reborn vanilla. It always has used both but has been integrated with Immersive Engineering or IC2 for said plates and wires.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always

And unintentionally, while trying and failing to sound like an intelligent snark, you've put your finger on why IC2 is now obsolete...

Because it has no value added to a pack over the mods you've already listed. Modded Minecraft has moved on, and IC2 never did.

Oh, and the 'only ore doubling' was never an argument used, so more than a bit of a strawman there.

Oh, and your comparison isn't actually an equal one, because in IC2-ex, iron plates are used in *EVERYTHING*, while the plates are less necessary in Immersive Engineering, up to the point where you can already automate it. And the hammer is used for things other than simply 'being consumed', like forming the multiblock machines, so there's an actual reason to keep one around. And the machine used to stamp out plates is able to be automated much more easily. And it runs on a Forge Energy compatible power system. And its cables don't explode. And it's machines don't explode. And it's aesthetically pleasing, with multiblock machines as the standard rather than the exception. With clear indications of how to automate them. Yanno, things like that.

I'm actually not sure if I should be laughing at you or pitying you over your attempted comparison between TE and IC2, since it's plainly obvious you have no bloody clue what you are talking about. Thermal Expansion is almost literally everything IC2 wished it was... but wasn't. Every criticism assigned to IC2 has been fixed, improved, tossed out on the scrap heap where it belongs, or otherwise made to actually function properly. It is the difference between a golf cart and a Tesla Roadster.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Don't know myself. I've never used Tech Reborn vanilla. It always has used both but has been integrated with Immersive Engineering or IC2 for said plates and wires.
Ah, and the same is true for Continuum from what I've seen. I'd argue that there's still some interesting things about IC2, just like I would about TR, but with TechReborn there's the possibility of having the power as compatible with Forge Energy or not (I think its a config option), which takes away the annoyance of having to set up an entire power infrastructure just for the one mod (if you don't like that).

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Correct. I also did not like in AoE that the TR machines used power tiers that were not compatible with IC2 and some of the machines only work crappily or blew up.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Correct. I also did not like in AoE that the TR machines used power tiers that were not compatible with IC2 and some of the machines only work crappily or blew up.
Oof you're not wrong there. I'm given to understand that numerous issues present in the 1.10 version have been fixed in the 1.12 version (used in Continuum), which has elevated my opinion of TR from "buggy mess" to "genuine replacement for some of IC2".

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I'm still building all the multiblock machines so I have no opinion yet of the 1.12 version. I know the Electric Furnace is slower then a vanilla coal fired furnace.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'm still building all the multiblock machines so I have no opinion yet of the 1.12 version. I know the Electric Furnace is slower then a vanilla coal fired furnace.
Crikey.

But, I believe things like overclockers now work in this version! What pack are you on?