NuclearCraft - A Modern Physics Mod

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do you think we could just make the 'new' controller what is obtained from crafting? So all of the old, previously made controllers would run using the old rules, and new controllers would use the new rules. As long as I put a warning message on the new controllers for a few versions, letting people know that old designs may not work, we shouldn't run into any issues, right?
Yep that's actually what I thought you meant (unless we're miscommunicating)

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Is your crushed quartz purposely not OreDictionaried with other versions?
No, it isn't - I was just using the wrong entry. AE2 uses 'dustNetherQuartz' while I've been using 'dustQuartz' like Actually Additions. I'll keep the latter but add the former for compatibility with AE2 recipes :)

Reactions: KingTriaxx

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Thank you. I tossed some in the Manufactory because it wasn't being automated, and got the wrong thing. I do love the ability to make silicon from the Manufactory though, thanks for that.

Reactions: turbodiesel4598

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
I think that it's time for an update from the horse's mouth. Firstly, I'll be back from uni in about four weeks now to get back to working on the mod full time. As well as working on the new reactors for v2.10, I plan to revamp the textures (even perhaps models) and recipes of all machines, as right now, I think we can sort of agree that they're a little terrible :p

Now, the plans for steam production and use. The molten salt reactor will, on a basic level, take in fuel and produce depleted fuel and heat. That heat will then be transferred either to a salt coolant (those used in active coolers mixed with liquid NaK) to produce hot coolant, or directly to water to produce superheated steam.
If using coolant, the hot coolant is passed into heat exchangers (possibly multiblocks) with water - the heat from the coolant is passed to the water to produce superheated steam, which will be much more efficient than producing it directly.
The superheated steam then goes into a multiblock high-pressure steam turbine to produce energy and steam. The steam is then passed into a multiblock boiler (might just re-use the heat exchangers instead though) to produce reheated steam, which is then finally passed into a multiblock low-pressure steam turbine to produce energy and water.

I also have some plans I want to hold onto until the update to MC 1.13, as some changes would impact the game a little too much to allow for a smooth update to a new version of the mod. I am planning to add a little more realism to the current fission and fusion reactors:
Fission: First, I want to change the recipes and textures of some components, particularly the casing, ports, etc. to move away from lead to the more realistic iron/steel, and introducing more moderators which may or may not have particular pros and cons like the coolers. I am also pretty sure that I will remove the ability to actively cool the solid fuel reactors, as in some cases it can be a little too powerful and is often a way to bypass the puzzle of cooler placement. Thirdly, and probably most importantly, I want to, by default, move entirely away from direct energy generation and make steam production mandatory. There can be a config option to switch back to the classic energy generation for those that want it. For the solid fuel reactors, this will probably work pretty similarly to how Extreme Reactors produce steam, with the differences outlined above.
Fusion: The only current plan I have for the current fusion reactors is to move to steam generation instead of energy generation. Again, this would be configurable. The way it will work, roughly, will be that a 'heating blanket' is placed along the ring, which transfers heat to water or a coolant - note that, unlike the solid fuel fission reactor, the option of a non-water coolant will be an option for the fusion reactor.

Finally, what would you all think about an NC discord channel?

Reactions: Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd probably join as well. Honestly now that 1.13's broken my preferred method of underwater base building, I'm annoyed by it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Water now will pass through fences. I always used Fences to make the walls in my underwater bases instead of windows. It looked a lot nicer than glass, and also functioned as an impromptu squid farm, for infinite ink.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Water now will pass through fences. I always used Fences to make the walls in my underwater bases instead of windows. It looked a lot nicer than glass, and also functioned as an impromptu squid farm, for infinite ink.

This is old information, mojang recognized that this would break a lot of existing minecraft builds and contraptions, so they changed their minds about it.

Reactions: turbodiesel4598

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose the last thing an MC update should do is break previous vanilla worlds so it's nice to know they thought through that change a little more. I am sort of excited for 1.13, especially to see what people do with the new data packs. As far as modding is concerned, there's a few minor changes but I think they're good ones.

V

violet

so, i noticed that in FTB Revelation 1.5.0 the infinite water generator is "disabled due to bug" according to text in the tooltip. is this like, a wide reaching thing or just specific to this mod pack?

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
so, i noticed that in FTB Revelation 1.5.0 the infinite water generator is "disabled due to bug" according to text in the tooltip. is this like, a wide reaching thing or just specific to this mod pack?
Yeh, I saw that - I asked about it on the FTB discord channel and didn't get a response, and I've never had any bug reports about it specifically on GitHub, so I'm very confused. It's very frustrating that whoever disabled it didn't let me know what the issue was...

V

violet

Yeh, I saw that - I asked about it on the FTB discord channel and didn't get a response, and I've never had any bug reports about it specifically on GitHub, so I'm very confused. It's very frustrating that whoever disabled it didn't let me know what the issue was...
hmm, makes sense that a google search didn't show anything. wonder what it is. would be kinda hard to fix if nobody knew. :p