Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it's a GregTech thing, or if mods just finally increased their compatibility.. but I've noticed that both forms of Copper and both forms of Tin, macerate into a single Copper / Tin dust, which is so very nice.

Problem is, now I have a large amount of Dust that is waiting to be properly stored. I'm wondering what the best storage medium is, if there's anything better than Diamond Chests.

I've been considering just smelting all the dust, and storing everything in Blocks. Problem would be the additional steps in my assembly lines; have to turn the blocks into bars, and when I need bronze I'd have to macerate the bars, and then assemble bronze as normal - instead of just pull out the dust as intended.

I'm still new to all these sweet modifications; "back in my day," the best storage around was a massive room full of wooden chests.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
if you are going to have more then about 16 stacks of 1 item barrels are the go to. they can hold up to 64 stacks and can be upgraded to hold 1028 stacks of 1 item.

If you want the hightech way Appied engergetics I hear is the way to go.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever get to the point that you have massive amounts of any one item that needs storage, Deep Storage Units from MFRs seem decent. They can store up to two billion of one item, and are considerably cheaper than GregTech's(?) Digital/Quantum Chest equivalent.

If you ever need this for anything other than dirt, cobble, or gravel... well.... good game.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
If you ever get to the point that you have massive amounts of any one item that needs storage, Deep Storage Units from MFRs seem decent. They can store up to two billion of one item, and are considerably cheaper than GregTech's(?) Digital/Quantum Chest equivalent.

If you ever need this for anything other than dirt, cobble, or gravel... well.... good game.

I made a DSU (Deep Storage Unit) and was immediately baffled by the interface. I need to find it on the wiki and see if it gets explained any further that it currently is.

Reactions: Mash

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019

I'm going with FTB Ultimate, just seems like the most feature-packed pack. I'm also lazy and it's the default, so there's that.

What's different about Applied Energetics?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going with FTB Ultimate, just seems like the most feature-packed pack. I'm also lazy and it's the default, so there's that.

What's different about Applied Energetics?

AE?

Think replicators from startrek. You store stuff digitaly and theres a bunch of way to interact with that storage.

Reactions: Jerome Asich

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
if you are going to have more then about 16 stacks of 1 item barrels are the go to. they can hold up to 64 stacks and can be upgraded to hold 1028 stacks of 1 item.

Or both! AE will happily interface with barrels. I tend to use barrels for huge stacks of stuff (building materials, ingots, etc), and AE chests for misc junk. Then just open up an interface in my crafting area.

AE is an excellent remote item request system; let me dump my laggy as all get out Turtle Warehouse.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I made a DSU (Deep Storage Unit) and was immediately baffled by the interface. I need to find it on the wiki and see if it gets explained any further that it currently is.

Yeah, not gonna lie. The interface is kinda weird.

There are two input slots, though I'm not sure why. All you do is put items in via input, and take them out via the bottom output slot.

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
AE is an excellent remote item request system; let me dump my laggy as all get out Turtle Warehouse.

You don't like Logistics Pipes? I'm constructing the buildings for storage now, if Logistics Pipes are no longer the best option.. I'm scared. :< I don't want to learn new stuff.

Asphodan

Jul 29, 2019
Um..... I feel for you then. Learning new stuff is what keeps the game intresting.
It was a joke. Not a good joke, but I found it amusing and that's all that matters.

For real, though. Is there something better than Logistics Pipes?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't see a link posted so here it is: http://ae-mod.info/

That is the AE wiki, which contains all you need to know in order to build a network that has the same, if not more functionality as Logistics Pipes. Works with chests and barrels, and likely any other storage device you can think of.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You don't like Logistics Pipes? I'm constructing the buildings for storage now, if Logistics Pipes are no longer the best option.. I'm scared. :< I don't want to learn new stuff.

Then why update ever? Or play modded minecraft.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, not gonna lie. The interface is kinda weird.

There are two input slots, though I'm not sure why. All you do is put items in via input, and take them out via the bottom output slot.
The two input slots are a holdover.

It use to be that it kept one item in each input slot, so that input pipes/etc. wouldn't drop in the wrong items. But this means that there was only 63 items free, so you couldn't easily shift-click items into the DSU. So the mod author added a second input slot.

After forge got inventory filtering, the input items were removed as they weren't needed, but the mod author didn't want to mess up people's builds that relied on the DSU having two input slots, so it stayed.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you have large volumes of dust, barrels. Otherwise various dusts in a chest might be more space efficient (if it contains more than two types).

Look into applied energistics. Wonderful, wonderful mod for storage.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
And on-topic, stuff.

First off, a question: automated or manual insertion, and automated or manual removal?

If automatic removal of more than one or two items, you really have two options for the framework: logistics pipes and/or AE. Personally, I prefer logistics pipes, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each, as always.

As for storage itself, you have bunches of options. If space is no issue, bunches of vanilla chests are still an option! The big issue with them is that by the time you try automating them the interface gets so complex that you might as well upgrade.

For bulk storage, MFR's Deep Storage Unit is king. Barrels are also good and cheaper, but cannot store as much per block.

For other storage, diamond chests are always good. If they will be somewhere non-mobproof try obsidian chests instead. AE has more compact storage, but it has a constant relatively high power draw and you are unable to access your items if power fails, which can be problematic.

TL;DR: Get a deep storage unit for now (or barrel if you cannot afford the DSU), but get an autostorage system going ASAP.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. You could keep x amount of bronze in your system. Estimate how much bronze you might need for the next couple weeks and do it that way. If you have an AE system, you can automate all this quite easily.