Modded Server

Alpha Mason

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to setup a modded Minecraft server, but I've been unable to. If anyone could help me figure out what I need to run a dedicated modded Minecraft server, not a LAN Minecraft Server. I'd prefer to run it on Linux if possible.

compwiz91

Nov 19, 2012
Somersworth, New Hampshire
A Server run on a personal computer is generally referred to as a Listen Server. A "dedicated server" is simply run on a Computer/Server specifically setup for Minecraft. There are tons of guides out there for setting up Minecraft Servers on various Linux distributions. Is there any specific questions you had about the process?

Alpha Mason

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you can point me to a good guide for setting a server on Ubuntu. Also, could you be more specific about the difference between a Listen Server and Dedicated Server? I could also use help with another problem that is related. I trying to setup the modpack for this server, but I seem to be having problems with Extra Planets dimensions.

https://pastebin.com/n21mTDnn

I've already posted a bug report for it but the mod author wasn't has helpful as I would have hoped. Anyways, I'd like to find out what mods are causing Extra Planets dimensions to give me a exception in server tick loop - Could not get provider type for dimension -36, does not exist. I've trying looking to see what mods also use dimensions with the same ids as Extra Planets ids, but I've been unsuccessful in finding anything other then Mo' Creatures using -17.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
difference between a Listen Server and Dedicated Server?
I never heard of the term "listen server" before. However, going to with what was said about it I guess the diffrence between a listen server and a dedicated server is that a dedicated server only has one job: running a minecraft server. A listen server on the other hand would be just installing a minecraft server on your (main) computer.

As for your problem, going by the pastebin the crash seems to have been caused by chickenchunks having trouble with a dimension. (interestingly enough this was on a windows 10 machine, thus I guess you haven't installed ubuntu or that it didn't happen on your server)
As for your other described problem. Go to the config folder and search each file for "-36". On ubuntu you can do so like this https://askubuntu.com/questions/127...ntains-a-specific-word-inside-not-in-its-name

This should give a nice list of all the files that contain -36 thus if there is a dimension id conflict you should be able to find it easily enough.

Because I am not sure where you are right now in the process of setting everything up let me give you some links that may or may not be of some help
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-server#0
After you have done that make sure you install openssh-server and screen. openssh-server allows you to access the computer easily from another one. Screen allows you to logout without ending minecraft's server. (There are some other ways to do this but I like this one)

After you have done that you need to make sure you have the correct java. I personally have no troubles with openjdk-8 however some people prefer oracle's java rather then openjdk. Just make sure that you have a java 8 version and you should be fine. (Not sure what java you have? Run "java -version" inside a terminal without the quotes. )

Also, assuming this is the first time you setup a modded minecraft server I recommend to start with a modpack from something like FTB rather then something you made yourself. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and with modpacks from FTB it is a bit easier to get help than if you would be running your own.

compwiz91

Nov 19, 2012
Lenscas, your essentially correct. If you do a quick google of "listen server vs dedicated" you get something like this,

Listen servers run in the same process as a game client. Where as a Dedicated Server run's in it's own process, separate from a client.

You can kind of run Minecraft as a Listen server, in single player you can choose to "Open to LAN" so other players can join, that would be a form of a listen server.

That link in Lenscas's post is a good starting point for getting the server setup. Here's one specifically for creating a Minecraft server,
https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-install-a-minecraft-server-on-ubuntu

Again, google is your best friend whenever you trying to do stuff like this. Don't be afraid to try something and if it doesn't work, try something else.

Let me know if you need more help getting the server setup.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
That link in Lenscas's post is a good starting point for getting the server setup. Here's one specifically for creating a Minecraft server,
https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-install-a-minecraft-server-on-ubuntu
At first glance the guide looks good but it is also a prime example of not blinding running the commands that it lists. 2 "problematic" ones are:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk
This will install java 7. this is NOT what you want as you should go with java 8 instead. Changing the 7 to an 8 should do the trick if I remember correctly
Code:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk

The other lines are when you start minecraft using their listed commands
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
That will start your server with 1 GB of RAM, this is most likely not enough and depending on how many people will join I would give it 4GB of RAM.

I would also suggest taking a look at what screen can do, as for one its a lot easier to manage your server if you give your screens a name.
Code:
man screen
Code:
screen -help

Reactions: compwiz91

compwiz91

Nov 19, 2012
More good points Lenscas. =) JDK8 is what is needed now, i didn't review that entire guide, that's my bad =(

FTB Beyond recommends minimum of 4GB RAM i think, so another good point.

And i definitely agree on the screen thing. That's what i use on my Linux box.

Alpha Mason

Jul 29, 2019
I would go with a FTB modpack, but however, a lot of them either have mods I don't care about or are missing mods that I use on a regular basis. Anyways, I hoping to eventually have my modpack available to public once it's stable enough to run on my computer and after I've check with all the mod authors about using their mods in my modpack. Plus, I need to trim some of the mods down since I've go more then most modpack and I'm trying to have a little overlay as possible. For example I have shears from 4 different mods (TE, Simply Upgrades, Base Metals, and More Shears). Anyways, when I have some more progress on server and modpack I'll probably post it here.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Another good way to setup a local server is to run it through a localhost, which sets it up on your router to always be running in the background.

patsy2

Jul 31, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm a total newbie. Is the process of setting up a server on VPS similar to home server? Is there a difference what Linux distro to use?