Automating EnderIO Enchanter?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

I need a supply of enchanted books to feed to a Disenchantment Generator.

I've tried piping items into the EnderIO Enchanter. using EnderIO Item Conduits, but can't get it to accept anything. The conduits connect willingly enough, but I can't get them to start moving items from chests to Enchanter. I've checked that my conduit connectors are are set to "Insert" or "Extract" as appropriate, and "Always On". I've also attached the conduit connectors to all six sides of the Enchanter, but still no dice.

Am I missing something. or can enchanting with this block not be automated?

Or is there a better way of getting a supply of enchanted items (DW20 Let's Play season 8 modpack)?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
As far as I know the enchanter cannot be automated.
If you have the emeralds you can see if flimflam is available.
One Book a quill and 8 emeralds should yield a FlimFlam IV. Great for making magical wood or running a Disenchantment Generator.

A

Anton_

Thanks, Cpt_gloval. Unfortunately flimflam does not seem available in this modpack.

Not a major problem - I just wanted to see if I could get a rainbow to shine. I made a few enchanted books, and the rainbow did indeed shine :) Very noisy though!

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Another solution would be the Actually Additions fishing net (at least, that's what I think it's called). Fishing gives quite a bit of enchanted loot, which you can then put into the Disenchantment Generator.

A

Anton_

Thanks, LordPINE. I've had an AA Fishing net out for a while. It's fairly slow (as Elpeck says in his manual), and nets only fish - no other goodies, unfortunately. There are fishing gadgets in other mods that do pull in enchanted items, but not in AA - or, it seems, in any of the other mods in the current DW20 modpack.

Edit: Correction - the AA fishing net does catch non-fish items but, so far, no enchanted ones.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Thanks, LordPINE. I've had an AA Fishing net out for a while. It's fairly slow (as Elpeck says in his manual), and nets only fish - no other goodies, unfortunately. There are fishing gadgets in other mods that do pull in enchanted items, but not in AA - or, it seems, in any of the other mods in the current DW20 modpack.

Edit: Correction - the AA fishing net does catch non-fish items but, so far, no enchanted ones.
I have caught an enchanted book via the AA Fishing Net before - its very rare, but it CAN be done. However, I would imagine a mob farm might be a better way to go? Its easier on skyblock maps, but something with Cursed Earth, getting a load of mobs and killing them, there should be a fair amount of enchanted bows, armour etc dropped.

A

Anton_

I have a cursed earth farm with a well of despair (?) on top oif it, killing them. They drop only non-player-kill items, unfortunately. I can build a city of bones by now...

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I have a cursed earth farm with a well of despair (?) on top oif it, killing them. They drop only non-player-kill items, unfortunately. I can build a city of bones by now...
Ah is enchanted armour PK-only? Hmm I guess the old MFR machines must have killed like players, or else the mechanics have changed - apologies, I was remembering it working from back in 1.6.4; I know DW20 had a system using Mob Grinding Utils on kis SkyFactory3 LP that worked to get loads of enchanted bows and armour, but that may well have killed differently.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
If you have dark utilities I believe it's called, you can make vector plates and put them on cursed earth. Then just point them at diamond spikes with looting 3 and sharpness 5.

Just remember to set up the vector plates on dirt or grass leaving one open near the edge and hit that with the drop of evil.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
If you also have mob grinding utils, make the mob grinder instead of the diamond spike. You can upgrade that one to loot X for a handful of lapis and gold nuggets, drops player loot.

I had to redesign my storage facility to handle how fast the loot was coming in.

A

Anton_

Thanks GamerwithnoGame. Cpt_glover - that was a fun little project! Lots more varied loot, but no enchanted items. That said, I've had zero enchanted drops, even when I kill them myself. Might DW20 have disabled that in the configs for his modpack?

A

Anton_

Drbretto, I've got a Draconic Evolution Mob Grinder that I use with Powered Spawners, and for the Nether Star farm (following DW20's Lert's Play season 8). That does give all drops - but zero enchanted ones.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The mob grinding utils grinder will give you enchanted items for sure. I'm not sure what the draconic evolution grinder will get you, but I can't see it beating Looting X. I probably get a new piece of armor to drop every, say, 15-45 seconds? I'm totally estimating. Could be off a bit, it's a total guess. Fast enough that I had to redesign my storage to keep up.

Here it is in action, just skip to about 45 seconds in. That fast spawn rate (this part of the video is in realtime), with loot 10. It's completely insane. The main item is that spinny grindy thing. The upgrades are super cheap.

From there, I have mine set up to send the equipment into separate chests for each slot so I can build an army of dummies! You could do the same thing to separate them out and jus tpull out the enchanted ones. Unless there's a way to filter the enchanted ones automatically. I can't imagine there being a much faster way than this.

A

Anton_

Awesome vid, Drbretto! Unfortunately I don't have those mods in the modpack I'm using. I would expect also that if I can't get any enchanted drops from manual kills, I won't get them from automated kills either?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Why Ty! Check out my showcase thread if you like 'em. Posting a new one in a minute, too.

You can probably kill a couple hundred mobs manually before you stumble on an enchanted piece. So, it's hard to tell if they're not dropping or if the RNG just doesn't like you. Here's the easiest test to tell if your rig is giving you monster drops: is it collecting heads? If not, it's not player kill loot. If it is, then your problem is somewhere else.

Do spawners spawn zombies and skeletons with armor? Anecdotally, I cant recall seeing it while I was building my grinder. Before I discovered that skeleton spawners spawn wither skeletons in the nether, I had two spawners I found in the death chamber. I don't recall anything armored. Maybe there's a difference between spawners and natural spawning? This is a guess, I'm not sure myself.

A

Anton_

I frequently get heads from player kills, from the mob farm I mentioned above, and from the Diamond Spike setup that Cpt_gloval mentioned above.

I've not seen any armoured mobs at all, zero, whether naturally or mechanically spawned - although, come to think of it, in DW20's YouTube series that I'm following, he does see armoured mobs. Odd. Is there a setting or switch somewhere that I should flip?

A

Anton_

Ah, that must be it. I shall have to increase my difficulty level. Thank you!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
what difficulty are you playing on IIRC armored mobs don't spawn on EASY unless a mod changes that

OMG, this is like 15 engineers standing around a broken TV, no one able to figure it out, until one guy is like, hey, maybe we should plug it in.