[GregTech 5] Start an electric blast furnace

C

CraftMarine

Hi everyone !

I have a little probleme with gregtech and the electrical blast furnace.

I've build it and in the blast furnace UI I have a mesage: "Hit with Soft Hammer to (re-)start the Machine if it doesn't start"

I've made a rubber hammer and I've tried everything on the machine, left click, right click, shift right click. Nothing. It won't start. How can I start this machine ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi everyone !

I have a little probleme with gregtech and the electrical blast furnace.

I've build it and in the blast furnace UI I have a mesage: "Hit with Soft Hammer to (re-)start the Machine if it doesn't start"

I've made a rubber hammer and I've tried everything on the machine, left click, right click, shift right click. Nothing. It won't start. How can I start this machine ?
You're right that its not clear. You want to right-click the controller in this case.

Note that actually getting it started "successfully" is notoriously troublesome for newcomers to GregTech. Standard blockers include obscuring the vent on top and not having enough power supplied. Also, it won't start if there's nothing to process in the input bus.

Lastly, be sure you've done all maintenance. The GUI of the controller block will report problems if any.

C

CraftMarine

The top is clear, I have an input (aluminium dust), the maintenance hatche is ok and I have decent power supply, put when I right click on the machine controller, it just go to enable or disable mode

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The top is clear, I have an input (aluminium dust), the maintenance hatche is ok and I have decent power supply, put when I right click on the machine controller, it just go to enable or disable mode
Can you clarify what you mean by "it just go to enable or disable mode".
You're sure you're using the soft hammer, not a hard hammer? You did mention rubber hammer above, but I want to ensure you're using it.

Can you attach a picture if its still giving you grief?

C

CraftMarine

So I've waited a few moment and it won't start.
For energy: (block by block)
LV Energy Hatch - Annealed Copper Cable 8X - Low Voltage Battery Buffer 9 slot (with 4 LV baattery in it)
Input:
Input Hatch (LV) with 28 Small pile aluminium dust in it
Output is clean
The machine is now outside

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You only have a single energy hatch? Try the same setup but with 3 energy hatches. 4 is safer, but 3 is sufficient if you absolutely minimize your cable run.

C

CraftMarine

So now I have 3 energy hatch. It start, take the input, but at a moment it stop and no output. do I need 128V ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So now I have 3 energy hatch. It start, take the input, but at a moment it stop and no output. do I need 128V ?
Your cables may be too long. The EBF needs to reliably get 120 eu/t if memory serves.

If you have 3 hatches, they can each accept 32*2 eu/t. If your battery buffer has 4 batteries, its currently sending 32*4 = 128 eu/t. So that's good enough. But each block distance costs 1 eu/t per amp going through. It only takes a few blocks of distance to go below the 120 threshold. If your hatches aren't clumped together, with the battery buffer almost directly adjacent to one of the hatches, you may find it simpler to just do 4 hatches instead.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The multiblocks only seem to care about raw power, rather than the actual voltage- so a 4a 32v supply will power your EBF just as well as a 1a 128v.

I run mine with 2 hatches, and 4 LV turbines- two feeding each hatch. Hatches can only take in power from 1 side (the dot), so theres 1 block of cable connecting each to two turbines.
As Pyure said; volt drop is per block per amp- so your 4 amp supply loses 4 volts (4 Eu/t) per cable- meaning a maximum length of 2 blocks before you have insufficient power.
(or only 1 block if your cables have a loss of 2v/a/m. Cables of loss 3 or higher will not work without an extra generator).
If your power feed is ok, and your EBF flashes on for a few ticks then shuts down eats the item- then you''re probably experiencing the same issue I had.
Sadly I never figured an actual solution- but my EBF worked perfectly fine when I moved it to a different chunk.​