What source of power should i use?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
K

Kaos__

Ok, so I've only really played infinity evolved 1.7.10, and some other 1.6.4 tekkit pack, but in both i only really use big reactors, so much that i don't really know of any other power source other than lava, but lava is more early/early-mid game. I've recently started in a new modpack, All The Mods, and i have yet to even build a cheap ender io ore processor. Since I've only been using big reactors, and the mod in all the mods that tries to mimic big reactors, kinda sucks. I've barely found any yellorium at all. So my question is since I've never really done any power creating with the other mods, what power source should i use? I would prefer to work with rf. If possible could you post early, mid and late game power sources? late game being pretty high, like one of the big reactors i made, made about 100k rf/tick

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Well, the biggest single rf/t source I can think of is the Rainbow Generator from Extra Utilites 2, making 25M rf/t. This requires all of the other generators from the mod to be running at the same time (one set per Rainbow Generator). A fair challenge to set up and completely automate if you up for it.

There is also Deep Resonance's generator and RFTools' Endergenic Generator which can both output sizable amounts of power.

Early game I like the Coal Generator from RFTools or for a little more efficency and flexibliy, the coal generator from Actually Additions. I've since transistioned into a combination of using Forestry Ethanol in EnderIO combustion Generators and using Thermal expansions Refined Fuel (Magma Cruicbling coal dust then fractioning stilling twice, into compression dynamos with the fuel specializtion augment. It's not a bad source of power, but i've not quite fully automated this one yet.

EDIT: Many of the Extra Utilties generators are also pretty varied in what thy can accept, the three furnace fuel generators vary in how much RF/item and RF/t they get. The survivalist makes the most RF/item, but the least RF/t, while the overclocked is the highest RF/t but least RF/item (And you'll prob need decent fuel to keep it going, it burns even coal pretty quickly). The furnace generator is a middle ground between the two.

Reactions: Kaos__
K

Kaos__

could you provide the mod list?
I don't know how to copy the modlist. It's the "All The Mods" modpack (the first one) along with these mods i've added or removed:
removed spice of life
snad
simplelabels
large veins
veinminer
openmodularturrets
tinkers addons

A

AmazingGoat

You can use the solar panel from enviromental tech, i used it in All The Mods and it was enough to run my whole late game base, if its not enough just make more of them, Each one generates about 46k rf/t during daytime

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
All the Mods pack has.. well... all the mods.

Actually Additions oil, fully tiered up is a great source of power.
Environmental Tech solars are good, and you don't have to make the top tier one right away. Having a few lower level ones (tier1 or 2) in strategic locations works well for me, as I don't have to worry about RF transfer degradation (aka loss) over long power lines.
I find Deep Resonance to be a mid to late game power source due to the set up, especially if you want to avoid radiation)
Thermal Expansion is out for 1.10 now, and in the DW20 pack, so AtM should have it too for the good old dynamo power options.
Extra Utilities generators are great, and can be fun to automate, but don't expect to be pumping out the 25m RF/t of the Rainbow Generator for quite some time (See Direwolf20's let's play series for the SkyFactory 2.0 pack to see the PITA it is to get that system fully operating).
If you are dead set on Big Reactors, get into the Deep Dark for better yields on Yellorium, or use RF dimensions to make a world made of Yellorium!

Also, remember, even if you are pumping out umpteen-bajillion RF/t, if your power transfer system (pipes) can't handle the throughput, yer gonna have a bad time! :)

As always, just have fun!

Reactions: Kaos__

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Mekanism Wind Generators are very strong, I use them to power my builder block and all my machines.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If Mekanism is in your pack, I highly recommend using Ethylene in Gas Burning Generators. It's quite powerful, easily expandable, and completely renewable. It can be created by using vegetables (for which a single Mek Wind Turbine can easily power automation on site if you don't want to run power lines to the farm) or any Rotten Flesh you have laying around (or collect from a mob farm). My last setup grew wheat, SAG Milled into flour, baked into bread, then crushed into Biofuel before being converted into Ethylene. This was making well more than my bank of ten Gas Burning Generators needed (each set of two being Redstone controlled by an EnderIO Power Monitor, staging on as demand increased).

H

HeroCanerPvP

I would prefer using Solar Flux... Kind of hard to get at the start since it becomes really repetetive but the Draconic panels or tier 6+ are worth the free energy. They also have a REAALLLY big energy bank which makes it so if you get the best solar panel, you don't even need an energy bank

N

NerpyDerpston

the mod in all the mods that tries to mimic big reactors, kinda sucks.
I was under the impression that extreme reactors was just a port; the same mod bumped up to the newest version. There are a lot of cool planned updates, and the author of big reactors hasn't been online for two years.

K

Kaos__

I was under the impression that extreme reactors was just a port; the same mod bumped up to the newest version. There are a lot of cool planned updates, and the author of big reactors hasn't been online for two years.
It's definitely a very similar mod, the only real difference that i've noticed is the significantly lower spawn rates for yellorium.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Spawn rates of mod ores are configured by pack makers. Don't blame the mod for what a pack developer has done.

This is very true. For example, in Beyond there is no wold gen (that I've been able to find) of the blocks you need for the Environmental Tech mod. Again, thankfully, they added a recipe for Hardened Stone.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Extreme Reactors began as a port and now the author wants to continue developing it.

Nuclearcraft is coming soon, and that produces a LOT of power. As long as it doesn't explode.

Personally, I just like lots of IE biodiesel, or Forestry Ethanol.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Extreme Reactors began as a port and now the author wants to continue developing it.

Nuclearcraft is coming soon, and that produces a LOT of power. As long as it doesn't explode.

Personally, I just like lots of IE biodiesel, or Forestry Ethanol.
Looking purely at 1.10, I think IE biodiesel is still a very nice method of making power, both practically and aesthetically.

I'm currently employing Actually Addition's empowered canola oil (though I haven't got the empowered bit automated yet...), but am strongly considering moving over to using rice.

Or to be more precise, Rice -> Rice Dough -> Rice Slimeball -> Slime Block -> Slimey Generator (with speed upgrades in).

The only sticking point at the moment is the conversion into the rice slimeballs - if I could put IE in my little pack, I'd be sorted as crafting with liquids is fairly straightforward. Or RS, for that matter.

L

Leo0

Biodiesel produces a good amount of energy, if i remember, its 4096 RF/t, and its REALLY good to power builder block/quarry. Sometimes if you have like 176 steel you can create a excavator and use the biodiesel to power that, since they get ore veins that players cant get, like a Uranium Vein, and idk if theres a Yellorium Vein in IE.