Whats the best way to produce power with coal?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
So I have accumulated approximately 800 stacks of coal from a wither skeleton spawner and was wondering what the best way to use this coal would be?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
use it to power an army of steves carts treecutters! then use the logs there in a sawmill and use THAT in a generator/solid fueled boiler/steam engines of various kinds.

or.. just go ahead and use the coal in those without the carts... but carts are cool so don't rule them out!

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
I need more power all around but I have a pretty good blutricity solar array powering redstone energy cells so im thinking more EU

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if you want EU, just chuck a load of Generators down and plop the coal in. Bonus points for an automated system of refilling the generators. (hint: it's piss easy to do)

breeeze

Jul 29, 2019
Dump it in a max size LP boiler and convert the steam into the energy form of your liking, thatll get you about 175EU/t / 70 MJ/t

Edit: Ninja'd

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
if you want EU, just chuck a load of Generators down and plop the coal in. Bonus points for an automated system of refilling the generators. (hint: it's piss easy to do)
Yeah I know I have 10 generators automated but im not sure if I should figure out another way to use the excess coal or make more generators.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
just make more. Maybe turn some of that coal into diamonds too while you're at it (automated of course, that's the whole reason of mods for me!)

Warpig

Jul 29, 2019
just make more. Maybe turn some of that coal into diamonds too while you're at it (automated of course, that's the whole reason of mods for me!)
I already have an automated diamond machine so to speak by using a tier 5 zombie pigman spawner with EE3 I have 16 stacks of diamonds currently

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
The minum stone.

And, did anyone say "Coal Coke?" Automate that, and you'll double your energy. Or multiply it by 2.5x when using Creosete oil and the Coal Coke in boilers.

Reactions: Vixation

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I forgot about Thorium! It can be gotten by centrifuging coal! You should crunch the numbers and see what a stack of coal does when turned into Coal Coke versus a Thorium.
Then you'd have to go Generators, Boilers, Steve's carts fuel...

Actually I know one!
Go into creative mode and spawn yourself a trade-o-mat.
Trade yourself coal for a Quantum Generator.
???
Profit.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Lambert... this might be piss easy to do, but I'm at a loss as to how to efficiently keep a wall full of generators fueled up without putting gates on pipes for each. Tubes and Filters don't seem like a good idea -- care to help a brutha out with a bit more info?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Lambert... this might be piss easy to do, but I'm at a loss as to how to efficiently keep a wall full of generators fueled up without putting gates on pipes for each. Tubes and Filters don't seem like a good idea -- care to help a brutha out with a bit more info?
tubes and filters are a good idea :p I suppose one could use routers but I'm not so versed on those just now.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Try routers (from factorization), this sounds like a perfect situation for them.

Edit: double ninja'd, ouch.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not lambert, but I'd use either routers or just simple line of pipes under generators. One generator uses one coal in 400 ticks. So for example 80 generators will use one coal every 5 ticks. So no matter what system are you using, try to keep supply of coal equal to it, which is for example one filter filled with 64 coal pulsed every 16 seconds.