In what way are iron and ender pearls equivalent?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't understand the logic behind EE3. "Equivalent Exchange", is there some logic to the name? Why is an Ender Pearl equivalent to 4 Iron Ingots? I feel guilty every time I use that recipe. It would make more sense to me if, for example, a Blaze Rod and a bucket of water gave an Ender Pearl, and vice versa with a bucket of lava. But Iron Ingot? Does anyone know what the rationale behind the EE3 exchanges is?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
That's not the point. I know I have the choice not to use it. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. And last night it was a group decision to go ahead and use some iron instead of making our ears bleed hunting Endermen.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
That's not the point. I know I have the choice not to use it. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. And last night it was a group decision to go ahead and use some iron instead of making our ears bleed hunting Endermen.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's based off a 'rarity parameter' of items and materials in Minecraft. This parameter is the basis of every item in EE, but I don't know how everything is measured in this latest version of the mod. Then again, I think only Pathinar can answer this directly himself...

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The exchange rate is still based loosely on the values in EMC of items from EE2.

In your example iron were worth 256 EMC while Ender Pearls were worth 1024. So he chose to use iron as the medium to get to pearls and back. The EMC values were , as the previous poster said, what the rarity values of vanilla minecraft are. For example vanilla spawn rates of gold to diamonds is 1:4 and gold to iron is 1:8. Equivalence of mob items obviously came from what Pahimar felt them to be but it is close enough to logical.

Reactions: MagusUnion

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Kind of like two logs for Obsidian (in the beginning this can save you three diamonds and is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more safe)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Or 6 iron. You know; vanilla style.
Well, getting obsidian in vanilla doesn't consume iron, you just need three to make a bucket and that's reusable. It would make more sense if EE would convert a bucket of lava into obsidian and an empty bucket, basically shortcutting the manual process like it can shortcut the smelting process, so you could just sit by a lava lake and make obsidian by wearing down your Minium Stone instead of 1) wearing down a diamond pick axe, 2) placing a Block Breaker and a Button, 3) placing a Mining Turtle.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Please do tell how to get 1 block of obsidian in your inventory in Vanilla with just 6 iron.
Why do you need it in your inventory? Oh right; you don't. Besides there's nothing really special about getting to the nether. Other than you dying a lot without any armor or decent weapons.

Reactions: MagusUnion

ArthurPDent

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you need it in your inventory? Oh right; you don't. Besides there's nothing really special about getting to the nether. Other than you dying a lot without any armor or decent weapons.
You know, besides the Nether Wart, Blaze Spawners, Wither Skeles, and all the Ores added by mods.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You know, besides the Nether Wart, Blaze Spawners, Wither Skeles, and all the Ores added by mods.
I'd love to see you try to get all that with a most likely stone sword and no armor. Not to mention the second you touch one of those ores(Non-GT that is) you're about to get mauled by a team of pigs that are eager to penetrate you. Not to mention once their mad; they stay mad. Overall you could get access to some of the basic parts of the nether(glowstone, sand, netherrack, nether brick, etc. Much of anything beyond that is mostly out of your reach until you're in a position to better yourself and by that point you could have gotten the obsidian anyway.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you be mauled by the zombie pigmen there? Heck even in EE2 I remember going to the nether asap just to get glowstone. It wasn't that hard if you took a stack of cobble with you. If you go hunting for like magma cubes or blazes then yeah take armor but beyond that it isn't too bad, unless spawn sucks.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you need it in your inventory?

For any of the mod items that well, do need it? Such as obsidian pipes and redstone conduits for example? This isn't about getting obsidiant to build with (anyone knows you can 'cast' it), it's about tossing it in a pulv to create for example hardened glass. You can't do that with that method.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Why would you be mauled by the zombie pigmen there? Heck even in EE2 I remember going to the nether asap just to get glowstone. It wasn't that hard if you took a stack of cobble with you. If you go hunting for like magma cubes or blazes then yeah take armor but beyond that it isn't too bad, unless spawn sucks.
Read the post again. Once you touch ores from nether ores pigs turn hostile. Not to mention the ores explode. Also during times of EE2 glowstone had a much bigger purpose than it does now.[DOUBLEPOST=1363877366][/DOUBLEPOST]
For any of the mod items that well, do need it? Such as obsidian pipes and redstone conduits for example? This isn't about getting obsidiant to build with (anyone knows you can 'cast' it), it's about tossing it in a pulv to create for example hardened glass. You can't do that with that method.
And why does that make EE3 OP? If you wanted it there are several ways you could do it that are easier. By the time you can make a stone you can do any of the methods that will give you obsidian in your inventory.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh see I never used nether ores. I never found a purpose for having ores that you need to procress at least three times just to get an ingot. I know you can smelt it directly but, back in 1.2.5, it had to be like smelted to get normal ore then reduced to dust then smelted again for the ingot. The pigman angry issue was a serious pita because if you went for just glowstone and accidently touched nether ore they got all prissy. Not really worth it imo.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ahhh see I never used nether ores. I never found a purpose for having ores that you need to procress at least three times just to get an ingot. I know you can smelt it directly but, back in 1.2.5, it had to be like smelted to get normal ore then reduced to dust then smelted again for the ingot. The pigman angry issue was a serious pita because if you went for just glowstone and accidently touched nether ore they got all prissy. Not really worth it imo.
You can actually macerate/pulverize them directly. Most give roughly 2 times the amount of dust. Some give more some less. They can be processed in a way to give 3x most of the time though.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I can get 3x using Factorization which costs more time but I don't have to worry about angry piggies in the nether. I rather not have angry piggies and the ability to walk around the nether (sans ghasts) then to get unstable ore there.