Gregtech recipes = ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I am a guy that likes to tweak with recipes i don't consider balanced, too. From this point i do sympathise with him. BUT writing a mod, to change a large scale of items within 2-4 mods is exaggerated, his changes are not even balanced. I think, those changes are made, so make his recipes make worth. That is considered bad gamedesign.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why you all complain about the centrifuge taking ages and mass amounts of EU to produce silicon cells.

Macerate 2 blocks of clay (= 8 clay balls) into 4 clay dust. Centrifuging two loads of that will yield you two cells, enough for one panel, in just over one and a half minutes. You'll probably need that long to craft the generator and the chipsets anyway.

This might not be the most energy efficient recipe, but time wise it's competitive (22,5 minutes to make 27 cells compared to the 20 minutes you claim, though I cannot check the actual recipe), clay is far cheaper/easier to get than redstone, and once you got a few panels you can use those to power the centrifuge for the more energy efficient but also more expensive recipes.

And if you do run long recipes? Go mining in the meantime, just like you would when waiting for a vanilla wheat farm to grow. The centrifuge doesn't need to be watched to function.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Making them using the centrifuge is crazy because it takes like 20 minutes to spin out the pair of silicon cells for one solar panel. I'd have more fun setting up a logistics pipes network to make solars than having a centrifuge running for 170 hours.
1 run using Redstone makes 27. That's enough for 13 Solar Panels, so no, you aren't spinning it for 20 mins to make 1, you are doing it to make, in effect 13. Once you have your first you can just store the rest away and use them when needed for the next panel without having to go back to the Centrifuge.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Curious then: How would you recommend powering the various forestry farms without wasting fuel? Usually a forestry farm has a lot of time sitting around waiting for things to grow. Running an engine constantly isn't very efficient.

How about automating the shutdown-process? In this case running the farm for a short time every few minutes should be enough if the engine is strong.

Actually Gregs does something that is although unbalanced the totally right thing. It increases the power of Generators and Geothermals. They are both totally OP, but what they need is some effort to automate. I normally shut all my farms down if the chests they put their products in is full. If the chests are full they send a redstone-signal, which activates a timer (it is set to about 5mins) so even if the chest loses some stuff the engine will shut down for 5mins and after that it restarts (unless the chest is still full). I only use electric and magma-engines... and this works pretty well for the electric ones, not so good for the magma-engines.

It may not be the cause of the FTB server-cient config msimatch, but the fact that GregoriusT made the mod assuming that Forge had ID resolver built in. Which is stupid. I don't know if he's fixed it now, but the fact that he did it in the first place is stupid.
Edit: Fixed spelling errors caused by my phone's tiny keyboard.

Forge has ID-Resolver build in, but not all Forge-Mods use it, but they can enable an auto-assign much like redpower did.

There is suff that are ok, like steel for the drill, but need a compresor for ore blocks/glowstone? That is totally useless.

The glowstone makes sense. But for ingots into Blocks you would need to smelt them. On the other hand there is no real use for the compressor so it normally idles if it isn't making diamonds, alloy or netherbrick. And even then Compressors are cheap and don't consume that much power. If you really run into storage issues the blocks reduce the required storage-space by the factor of 9... it's pretty obvious that this should not be free. I agree that it is confusing, but a FTB-Wiki would most likely solve such things.

I do think that certain items should be not as easy to get. But considering normal solar panels and their power output there is no need for making those more difficult to attain. One panel gives you but 13050 EU/day. You'll need 3-4 days to fill one batbox. With the greg adjustment you'll need to get a complette assemblytable up and running plus the laser to fuel it and the centrifuge to obtain all materials.

The only things that changes are the Silicon-Cells and the carbon-stuff. Not sure why you need an assembly-table. There should be an explanation how NEI works since a lot of people seem to not understand it. You need two circuits for the solar-panel. You have the choice which you want to use (BC, Forestry, IC2, Railcraft).

I have to agree that there is a distinct difference between difficulty and tediousness. A game should, reasonably, be difficult without massively affecting the level of tedium. Some features that are enabled add tedium without increasing the difficulty of the task. One example I can cite being the requirement of steel for an IC2 drill.

This is not difficult. You can compress netherrack into nether brick and collect magma cream without massive difficulty. In the end its just adding tedium to a task without making it inherently more difficult. Something I really don't agree with.

The requirement of steel does not add tedium... put Iron into a Blast-furnace and it becomes steel. I don't see how this is a tedious task. The blast-furnace is placed at a later point in the techtree but he already implemented his own electric-blastfurnace so that you don't have to hunt blazes for it anymore. But the Mining-Drill basically is a Diamond-Pickaxe that can't mine obsidian and the chainsaw is stronger than a diamond-sword (10 damage... diamondsword has 7). They were much too strong for early-game. If you have railcraft installed you need a blast-furnace anyway at some point. And if you have it, it is not really tedious to put some iron and charcoal in.

There's a fine line between challenging and unnecessarily convoluted. If something is meant to make a process more involved, it ought to have a gameplay benefit. Complexity for complexity's sake is a poor reason to change the game. I don't think the old recipe was too easy considering it was ONE standard solar panel. It takes 512 of these things to make a HV array with Compact Solars. Making them using the centrifuge is crazy because it takes like 20 minutes to spin out the pair of silicon cells for one solar panel. I'd have more fun setting up a logistics pipes network to make solars than having a centrifuge running for 170 hours.

Actually no one limits you to a single Centrifuge. They are not that expensive and they don't use much EU. You can run 6 with a BatBox. Since Sand is very abundant it should be easy to provide them with lots of them (if I remember correctly sand only needs 500 Seconds). You could even use Dirt to get Sand, which would make the process more time-consuming.

I think he actually want to remove the basic-solarpanel because it causes so much server-load since it creates a lot of singular EU-packages. So the Solarpanel is only there to be used for the advanced solarpanel. And it is pretty cheap considering this. Well it actually does not cost that much more, it is just moved to a position at which you might rather construct an advanced solarpanel instead of 8 normal-solarpanels. I'm not sure if there is an alternate recipe, but the ultimate hybrid-solarpanel should only use a single or 8 basic solarpanels... but since you need a lot of UUM anyway producing 2 or 16 silicon-cells wouldn't matter that much.

You need 18 Iridium-Plates and 18 UUM for an Ultimate Hybrid-Solarpanel... (or 16 Plates and 48 UUM with the alternate recipe using 8 Hybrid-Solarpanels).

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
The requirement of steel does not add tedium... put Iron into a Blast-furnace and it becomes steel. I don't see how this is a tedious task. The blast-furnace is placed at a later point in the techtree but he already implemented his own electric-blastfurnace so that you don't have to hunt blazes for it anymore. But the Mining-Drill basically is a Diamond-Pickaxe that can't mine obsidian and the chainsaw is stronger than a diamond-sword (10 damage... diamondsword has 7). They were much too strong for early-game. If you have railcraft installed you need a blast-furnace anyway at some point. And if you have it, it is not really tedious to put some iron and charcoal in.

Yes. It is indeed tedious. It requires you to go to the nether to obtain nether brick and magma cream. This requirement is simple, very simple and adds a pointless extra step to a process hat really doesn't need it. Frankly I have completely disabled the requirement because changing tasks without good reason is not acceptable.

If magma cream and nether brick were hard and challenging to obtain I wouldn't complain. But they aren't so making the extra step is kinda pointless.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. It is indeed tedious. It requires you to go to the nether to obtain nether brick and magma cream. This requirement is simple, very simple and adds a pointless extra step to a process hat really doesn't need it. Frankly I have completely disabled the requirement because changing tasks without good reason is not acceptable.

If magma cream and nether brick were hard and challenging to obtain I wouldn't complain. But they aren't so making the extra step is kinda pointless.

They are somewhat challenging to obtain when you go to the nether unarmored because after your first mining trip you make a portal while you wait for the ores to process, a ghast when you are not wearing armor is a fun thing to play with :)

My current world I have an odd problem with the increased requirement there is no damn SOULSAND anywhere around I've traveled about 600ish blocks in all directions from the portal, none, nada, zip, zilch, I fairly sure this damn game is just trolling me now......
I say it's trolling me because I came out of the portal and turned around "oh sweet nether fortress".

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
They are somewhat challenging to obtain when you go to the nether unarmored because after your first mining trip you make a portal while you wait for the ores to process, a ghast when you are not wearing armor is a fun thing to play with :)

My current world I have an odd problem with the increased requirement there is no damn SOULSAND anywhere around I've traveled about 600ish blocks in all directions from the portal, none, nada, zip, zilch, I fairly sure this damn game is just trolling me now......

Well not really. You can use a compressor to get nether brick from netherrack and killing a magma cube with even a basic bow isn't that tough. The hardest part about that is waiting since magma cubes aren't always common. Alternatively you can hunt down a fortress and kill some blaze, again, not hard if you have a bow.

So, yeah. I'm really not keen on it. Anyone with a little effort can do it without much trouble so it simple switches from becoming a challenge to becoming a tedious and pointless task.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Well not really. You can use a compressor to get nether brick from netherrack and killing a magma cube with even a basic bow isn't that tough. The hardest part about that is waiting since magma cubes aren't always common. Alternatively you can hunt down a fortress and kill some blaze, again, not hard if you have a bow.

So, yeah. I'm really not keen on it. Anyone with a little effort can do it without much trouble so it simple switches from becoming a challenge to becoming a tedious and pointless task.

Bow??? what when do I get the string\feathers etc for a bow my nether trip is usually after the first night which I spent down a hole lol and Real Men beat Ghasts with their own fireballs :D
Just in case it doesn't translate well this is in jest.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019

You need Blaze-Rods and such anyway in FTB, you even need the Blast Furnace for Railcraft. So the drill is just moved backwards in the tree. If you don't use railcraft you should just disable it which will change the drill-recipe. Actually the Blast-Furnace is just a temporary solution since Gregs will have it's own electric blast-furnace. You will still need it, but actually you could complain that it is tedious to build a furnace to melt iron-ore... neither cobblestone nor wood are hard to get and yet you have to smelt your ores into ingots.

And well... you normally don't have a bow (well propably a bow, but not many arrows), since the first trip to the nether to get netherbrick and eventually some glowstone is as soon as you get a bucket. During the second visit you actually want to get some netherward, soulsand and definitly glowstone and need a fortress anyway.

Fizzgigg

Jul 29, 2019
I rather like Greg-Tech, with EE2 being so OP in the last FTB everything got easy, and IC2 power was so easy to get. Now you need alot of stuff to make anything renewable so the game is more challenging and fun.

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
My problem about the whole steel thingi is, that i consider changing dimensions as a lategame task, since you (normaly) need diamonds and obsidian to build the portal.
Why would someone need to venture to the dimension of death / hell to create steel?! Thats just absurd.

And thats one thing most MC Mods have in common. They try to ad some late game experience to the game, but fail to keep the main spirit of the game alive. I consider buidlcraft for this purpose one of the most destructive powers of mods, since it changes the way you play minecraft a lot.
Same problem with the BTW Mod. All lategame stuff, but hemp, which you basically dont have any use for, untill armor or 5 stacks of pointless grinding have been done for constructing a windmill.

Thaumcraft did add a nice flavour to minecraft. I liked this a lot. You could use it early or in mid game. Ok, got its flaws, too. But i think most of them will be wiped out with TC3.
But back to GregTec.

It's a challenge mod, designed for RC, BC3, IC² and its own cool features. But those features are not that cool, if other mods give you possibilities like it for less ressources / work. Thats basically what i think of it. Might change the further i play with FTB, cause i will have the most recipes stay active. ...

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I think the idea behind making the drill take steel is to make it more of a late(r) game item than just being able to make it after a mining trip or 2.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The latest version of Gregtech has a Jackhammer that works like a pick in 3 tiers iron, steel, diamond (mines stone\cobblestone, other pick target blocks at about the speed of the same pick of that level, but not ORES you need an actual pick for them) recipe is 3 of whichever material, a circuit and a battery (diamond level seems kinda pointless really requires diamond dust\lithium battery, but the iron tier one is pretty much spot on lol)

FrenchKafka

Jul 29, 2019
Most of my gripes with Gregtech have been pointed out, mainly that it adds complexity for the point of adding complexity. But I will also say, I do not like the highly expensive items it adds, which are done for much, much cheaper by other mods.

The lightning rod is cool, though. That I would keep.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Well Refined Iron adds complexity for the point of adding complexity~
And imo the point is to spread out progression a bit.

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
Well Refined Iron adds complexity for the point of adding complexity~
And imo the point is to spread out progression a bit.

That isn't actually true because refined iron is used consistently. The items that were changed to steel are intentionally specific and limited, adding complexity for no reason.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
That isn't actually true because refined iron is used consistently. The items that were changed to steel are intentionally specific and limited, adding complexity for no reason.

It spreads out progression :) You can't get a drill in 20 mins now, you need to do some work to get the Steel. The Drill is a quite powerful item so I can see why you have to work a little to get it

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
It spreads out progression :) You can't get a drill in 20 mins now, you need to do some work to get the Steel. The Drill is a quite powerful item so I can see why you have to work a little to get it

That's not true in the slightest. I can get diamonds in half a hour and with an anvil you can not repair an item indefinitely. This is a more costly way of making an infinite pick.

Forcing progression does not add difficulty. If anything it irritates people that they play style has to be altered to suite changes that really do not make sense in the context of what is being done. That is why people have issues with these changes, not because they are hard.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Drills are upgradeable and quicker, and with the EU buffers you don't need to "repair" as often. Forcing progression adds difficulty to some degree. That degree may vary but eh ^^
I'm not sure why you would be irriitated about play style changes, you went to mods from vanilla for a different playstyle. But I guess our opinions on i t just differ, I don't see it as "unnecessary complexity" any more than other things that are already in IC2 or such

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
As stated earlier in the thread. You can go to the nether. Create a simple cobblestone box. Mine up some netherrack and turn it into nether brick and kill a few magma cubes. None of that is difficult and can be achieved largely without armour.

I'm not the only one that dislikes needless changes. That seems to be the large part of why people have issues with some parts of GregTech, not because things are more expensive. I mean needing a compressor to compress diamonds into blocks. Really? Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.