Immersive Engineering - RF -> EU

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Hello! I am playing on Dire's current 1.10.2 pack. I built up a water wheel from IE. Thought I'd start a train system to get between where I mine and my base easier. Since I am a bit shy on redstone at the moment (Not having any luck finding it and I am mining at Y level 20) I didn't use the usual booster track set up but used a steam engine from Railcraft. Only problem is it eats though coal and charcoal faster than a fat kid though a buffet table. >.< So I thought I'd try the electric train. Didn't see much of a requirement for redstone except for the redstone lamp. So I built the charge thingy, put it down level with the ground, put the electric track right on it, an LV connector on the side of it, and wired it though the relay from the water wheel. Nothing, it's not glowing, the track isn't glowing, no indication anything is actually working. Used to be IE could power IC2 machines and there is only one charge thingy available in the pack which says it's IC2. So what am I doing wrong here? o_O

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hello! I am playing on Dire's current 1.10.2 pack. I built up a water wheel from IE. Thought I'd start a train system to get between where I mine and my base easier. Since I am a bit shy on redstone at the moment (Not having any luck finding it and I am mining at Y level 20) I didn't use the usual booster track set up but used a steam engine from Railcraft. Only problem is it eats though coal and charcoal faster than a fat kid though a buffet table. >.< So I thought I'd try the electric train. Didn't see much of a requirement for redstone except for the redstone lamp. So I built the charge thingy, put it down level with the ground, put the electric track right on it, an LV connector on the side of it, and wired it though the relay from the water wheel. Nothing, it's not glowing, the track isn't glowing, no indication anything is actually working. Used to be IE could power IC2 machines and there is only one charge thingy available in the pack which says it's IC2. So what am I doing wrong here? o_O
Just to quickly double-check, what charge thingy did you build? I think that to convert RF to Railcraft Charge, you need the 2x2 multiblock Flux Transformer (you can alternatively use the Electric Feeder Unit

EDIT 1: You may need Electric Shunting Wire to carry the Railcraft Charge to the track; you shouldn't, I don't think, but you might?

EDIT 2: Note that if you're using the Electric Feeder Unit it needs to be next to the track, whereas if you want to feed power in from below, can place the track onto a Wire Support Frame and use the Shunting wire mentioned above - it goes into the side of the frame.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
To test if the track is working? Stand on it. If you take damage, it's working. It does take a bit to propogate down the line though. A charge meter from Railcraft will also tell.

The Flux transformer is more guaranteed to work though. The last time I used it though, I did have to plug in a shunting wire, not sure why.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the IC2 Charge Feed Unit. When I type Feed Unit into JEI that's the only one that pops up besides the Admin Charge Feed Unit which is creative only, and I type "Flux " into JEI and, for Railcraft, only see the Flux Loader, Flux Unloader, and Flux Cart.

Things might have changed for MC 1.10.2, though I've not seen a mod spotlight for Railcraft in recent months.

- As you can see, it's wired in, I am on the track, and I am not taking damage.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yes, the IC2 Charge Feed Unit. When I type Feed Unit into JEI that's the only one that pops up besides the Admin Charge Feed Unit which is creative only, and I type "Flux " into JEI and, for Railcraft, only see the Flux Loader, Flux Unloader, and Flux Cart.

Things might have changed for MC 1.10.2, though I've not seen a mod spotlight for Railcraft in recent months.

- As you can see, it's wired in, I am on the track, and I am not taking damage.
Yep, ok I see an issue. First try the same power setup but instead of the track being on top of the Charge Feed Unit (CFU), try placing the CFU next to the track - so one block up and across from where it is now.

If that doesn't work, try putting the track onto a Wire Support Frame block and run some Electric Shunting Wire from the frame block to the CFU. Also, it's worth you building an IC2 generator of some sort and running IC2 cable to the CFU, to make sure that's not the issue.

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
IE cables can't covert RF to EU in 1.10 so it's not going to transfer power into the Charge Feed Unit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What you want is the Flux Transformer, which is a 2x2x2 multi-block in 1.7, though it might be different in 1.10.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
IE cables can't covert RF to EU in 1.10 so it's not going to transfer power into the Charge Feed Unit.
Really? >.< I wonder why the change? So I'll have to use Mekanism then, I really don't want two power systems, well, three once I get around to Extra Utilities Grid Power. Good thing I added it to the pack.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Blu was unhappy how IE just became a mod for turning RF into EU, especially with Infinity Evolved. (See here for a good idea of his opinion)
Really?? I've never thought of it like that - the aesthetic of IE is so unique and its functionality and gameplay so fun, I love it in and of its own right! Ah well.

Let us know how it goes @llloyd! :)

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Badly, Choco. Can't even do it with Mekanism and Mekanism has a bug, got to use the Configurator in Wrench mode to pick up cables. But I got an IE LV capacitor which is getting charged wired using Ender IO Energy Cables to a Mekanism basic energy cube, cube is getting a charge so no problem there. I put Mek power cables from the cube to the Charge Feed Unit and nada. I put down a Wire Support Frame and a Shunt Wire with the electric track on top of that, same thing, nada. No idea about the Flux thingy you keep telling me about, I can't find it in JEI.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Bloody Infinity was a horrible beast for a lot of reasons.

That particular convo leads to IndustrialWires, which does the RF to IE translation with an additional block. Does have a 1.10 version.

Flux Transformer probably hasn't been ported yet. There's still a few things coming in the next couple RC releases.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Badly, Choco. Can't even do it with Mekanism and Mekanism has a bug, got to use the Configurator in Wrench mode to pick up cables. But I got an IE LV capacitor which is getting charged wired using Ender IO Energy Cables to a Mekanism basic energy cube, cube is getting a charge so no problem there. I put Mek power cables from the cube to the Charge Feed Unit and nada. I put down a Wire Support Frame and a Shunt Wire with the electric track on top of that, same thing, nada. No idea about the Flux thingy you keep telling me about, I can't find it in JEI.
Right, you're going to need to break it down into simple stages to make sure the thing works AT ALL, which I'm wondering about at this stage.

So: from your Wire Support Frame with track on it, take the shunt wire a couple of blocks to the Charge Feed Unit, then into that feed an ic2 cable, attached to an IC2 batbox with charge in. If that doesn't make the track electric, you've got bigger problems. If it DOES work, THEN try feeding into the batbox with a variety of methods, so you can find out what does and does not work. That's the only way I can think of to troubleshoot effecrively. Start simple and add complexity, rather than just throwing cables from a bunch of different mods at it, otherwise it will be tough to track down where the problem lies! :)

As a side note, it's also worth trying the track with the CFU adjacent and feeding into THAT with IC2 cable from a charged batbox.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, according to CJ this is the first port to 1.10.2 and to get it out as quick as possible he left a lot of stuff out that'll come out later. Oy. I was going to use this for the move from the hole in the wall to my proper base some distance away on a more flat plain then use it for the quarry to machine room run to bring in what it's mining. But, heck, I can't even get a cart + chest cart linked to behave right. The two linked carts slow way down very quickly when I can get it to launch at all, it tends to try to launch in the wrong direction and bounce off the block I put down at the end of the track that's suppose to make the booster boost the cart one way. So what I will probably wind up having to do, as an accidental experiment proved, I can launch them individually and they do make it just fine on their own, is put down each chest cart, load it up, launch it, put down the next, launch that, etc. >.< Royal pain in the *** but the mods are still beta. I just wish CJ had chosen the RF way and left the IC2 way for later instead of vice versa. I am not a huge fan of IC2 as of the last few Minecraft versions, it's been running around with the wrong crowds and being influenced negatively. But that's just my opinion.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Nope, according to CJ this is the first port to 1.10.2 and to get it out as quick as possible he left a lot of stuff out that'll come out later. Oy. I was going to use this for the move from the hole in the wall to my proper base some distance away on a more flat plain then use it for the quarry to machine room run to bring in what it's mining. But, heck, I can't even get a cart + chest cart linked to behave right. The two linked carts slow way down very quickly when I can get it to launch at all, it tends to try to launch in the wrong direction and bounce off the block I put down at the end of the track that's suppose to make the booster boost the cart one way. So what I will probably wind up having to do, as an accidental experiment proved, I can launch them individually and they do make it just fine on their own, is put down each chest cart, load it up, launch it, put down the next, launch that, etc. >.< Royal pain in the *** but the mods are still beta. I just wish CJ had chosen the RF way and left the IC2 way for later instead of vice versa. I am not a huge fan of IC2 as of the last few Minecraft versions, it's been running around with the wrong crowds and being influenced negatively. But that's just my opinion.
Fair enough! :)

I'm looking to put together a very small 1.10.2 pack myself, and was thinking of adding Railcraft and IC2, amongst a couple of others, which is why I wanted to check: have you tried all the suggested setups and none of them work? If that's the case, I might give it a miss for a bit, because for me mods need to work together properly; its a big concern when you're only using a handful!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Chest carts move fine, it's player carts that are stupendously heavy. But you can have a manual train if you sit in the cart and hold W. You can drag an infinite number of carts along with you as far as I can tell. Steve is way more powerful than any locomotive.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a bit before doing any 1.10 modded. Nothing is a must have yet, even though some look awesome.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Chest carts move fine, it's player carts that are stupendously heavy. But you can have a manual train if you sit in the cart and hold W. You can drag an infinite number of carts along with you as far as I can tell. Steve is way more powerful than any locomotive.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a bit before doing any 1.10 modded. Nothing is a must have yet, even though some look awesome.
That's fair enough. For me, my laptop - the only PC I own - is really old, and only has 3GB of RAM, so my interest in dabbling in 1.10 was as much born out of wanting to see if I COULD run with any mods as anything else! :)

Coming slightly back on topic: I'm still not clear on whether the OP actually tried all the setups suggested, and I can't back-seat troubleshoot to see what's not working, so what I might try is setting up a bare Forge instance - just Railcraft, IC2 and maybe IE if it will run, plus a couple of utility mods - and seeing if I have the same issue.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
I've went ahead and uninstalled IC2 (and Compact Solars) as I have no interest in IC2, not since it started to hang out with Greg Tech and be influenced by it. >.< Even with out IC2 the Flux Transformer and such don't show up and the IC2 Feed Charge doesn't work with anything I have on hand to be powered.