[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah - thankfully there are no biome-dependent ores in GregTech, altho my experience so far with NOT finding a Grossular vein (I've been exploring at elevation 25 entirely under the ocean areas) makes me wonder about that... lol

Do you know the seed? If so, and you don't think it's cheaty, you could try something like Amidst to find a desert. Or this biome finder http://chunkbase.com/apps/biome-finder.

sprAngles

Jul 29, 2019
My current hold up has been osmium, which pretty much forces you to use bees/crops I find. I had 40+ osmium before sinking into the damn quest for HV (or was it EV?) UUM replicators/producers etc. I've nearly depleted 2 Iridium veins just for that small amount. Stacks upon stacks of Iridium, and barely any Osmium (am I doing something wrong?), at least it motivates me to produce more power for UUM.
Did you try using the Advanced Miner II on the iridium veins? They do return I think at best 5 crushed ore per ore block, 2.5 times more than mining it and throwing it into the macerator.

C

codewarrior0

My current hold up has been osmium, which pretty much forces you to use bees/crops I find. I had 40+ osmium before sinking into the damn quest for HV (or was it EV?) UUM replicators/producers etc. I've nearly depleted 2 Iridium veins just for that small amount. Stacks upon stacks of Iridium, and barely any Osmium (am I doing something wrong?), at least it motivates me to produce more power for UUM.

A tiny amount of Osmium can be gained from Chalcopyrite or Pentlandite, by processing the purified crushed ore in a Chemical Reactor with some Nitric Acid, then combining and centrifuging the resulting piles of Platinum Group Sludge. I'd hope it's a bit cheaper on power than just fabricating the Osmium, but I haven't checked.

T

targetingyou78

Thats impressive that you still haven't found one. Strange thing is, on my server we have only found one desert biome and the world is rather large. Its turning out to be quite a rare biome I see.

It really interesting to see how random generation really changes peoples playthroughs. I am in a swamp biome with deserts everywhere! I can't find a cold biome to save my life. xD Also, just depending on what ores and loot is found early can really change things too.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It really interesting to see how random generation really changes peoples playthroughs. I am in a swamp biome with deserts everywhere! I can't find a cold biome to save my life. xD Also, just depending on what ores and loot is found early can really change things too.

It's not just the biomes, its the ore distribution too. I began playing on this server much later than some of the others, and exploring the tunnels they made under the starting village I saw they had hit four diamond ore veins within a 20 chunk radius or so, and it's not like they dug a million different tunnels. Just a long N/S and a long E/W and 4 separate diamond veins. That's a lot for such a small area in my experience (I've used CoFH clearblocks to remove everything but the GT large and small ores to have a look-see). But in GT, Diamond is not nearly as rare as a Scheelite, or (apparently) a Grossular, or a Platinum vein (which I've never found in any play-thru of a GT5u pack).

So yeah, random is random, and it can be glorious, or it can suck. And on that note, I am off to dig and dig some more. Stainless or bust!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I have 2 quests to complete for Bronze Age - the two farming quests. This stuff confuses me, can someone explain how I'm supposed to get started? I planted 2 wheat in crops, put the double crop in between em, and i got one potato plant, a bunch of wheat, and the rest was weeds. Lots and lots and lots of weeds. Ugh. I just right click the new plant that is created with the Cropalyzer and it tells me what plant it is - can I do anything else to help it along? What kind of plant am I looking for, that Coppon stuff? How long does it take?

So I guess that's the IC2 crops but what about the other quest? With the Feru plant? How do I even begin that one? Sorry I'm so dense but I did a search and there isn't much out there that I could see. Maybe somebody has a good play-thru video where they show getting started with crops?

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
Did you try using the Advanced Miner II on the iridium veins? They do return I think at best 5 crushed ore per ore block, 2.5 times more than mining it and throwing it into the macerator.
I pretty well depleted one vein in OW (which took me forever to find) using a HV drill. But I've been using the Miner on the asteroids I've come across in The End. Definitely using the Miner wheneever I can, but setting it up and taking it down for the small amounts that those asteroids contain is a pain. It probably takes 20 minutes, after setting up the miner, fixing the problems in the maintenance hatch, setting up drilling fluid production, chests, and placing a HV or EV battery. Thats not even counting having to come back after chunk loading to collect the crushed ores. This is boring, monotonous, and repetitive after you've done it the third time. Versus plain old drilling it out with a handdrill which probably takes 10 minutes and you're out of The End/done.

A tiny amount of Osmium can be gained from Chalcopyrite or Pentlandite, by processing the purified crushed ore in a Chemical Reactor with some Nitric Acid, then combining and centrifuging the resulting piles of Platinum Group Sludge. I'd hope it's a bit cheaper on power than just fabricating the Osmium, but I haven't checked.
Hmm I had seen that early on and completely forgotten about it. Might look into it. But I've just finished setting up being able to consistently fabricate Os, so I might just continue that route. Thanks for the suggestion.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

I have 2 quests to complete for Bronze Age - the two farming quests. This stuff confuses me, can someone explain how I'm supposed to get started? I planted 2 wheat in crops, put the double crop in between em, and i got one potato plant, a bunch of wheat, and the rest was weeds. Lots and lots and lots of weeds. Ugh. I just right click the new plant that is created with the Cropalyzer and it tells me what plant it is - can I do anything else to help it along? What kind of plant am I looking for, that Coppon stuff? How long does it take?

So I guess that's the IC2 crops but what about the other quest? With the Feru plant? How do I even begin that one? Sorry I'm so dense but I did a search and there isn't much out there that I could see. Maybe somebody has a good play-thru video where they show getting started with crops?
Make fertilizer, that speeds up crops... and get a weed trowel to remove the weeds easier... you really shouldn't be getting much weeds unless you aren't actually watching the cross-breeding enough...
Imo the problem with ic2 crops is that it's very random, so it takes a lot of time to get specific plants.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
I've gone down the mass fab route for osmium, I only processed calcop to get my original osmium dust to scan

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019

I guess it would depend a lot on player strategy too. I know I tend to look for a village right off the get go, but if I can't find one I will cut into the side of a mountain for my first base. The first biome I am in really doesn't matter much for me as long as there are trees and water nearby

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
GT question here: whats the point of the large gas Turbine? I completely understand the Steam variation as it has greater flexibility & efficiency over the single block steam turbines ; but I cannot figure out the gas portion of it. I tried a couple different turbine materials and couldn't find a reason to use the large turbine over HV turbo gas turbine (the single block generator).

I placed in equal amounts of biogas/LPG into 4 turbo gas turbines and they output higher total power and at a faster rate than the large gas turbine multiblock. In other words higher output rate and better fuel efficiency vs the multiblock. I tried to account for the warmup time of the multiblock, but still didnt see any viable advantage.

If anyone knows more about them could you suggest a turbine material and size for HV to EV power output with LPG or Biogas (IC2) for fuel?

I

Innocentius

How to craft copper cap from thaumcraft?
there is no recipe for him in nei

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

IC2 crops are more or less completely random. The only thing you can really do to guide towards a specific crop (besides meeting its block-under-soil requirements) is start with parents of approximately the same tier. Two low-tier plants will mostly create low-tier children, etc.

With the weeds: The really annoying thing about IC2 crops is you have to keep a constant eye on them. I never put a huge field totally adjacent, because a single weed can wipe out an entire field that way. I do clumps of 4 to limit damage if I happen to wander away.

You can mitigate weeds by using weed-ex in a cropmatron. There are conflicting reports on the negative impacts of weedex. I usually don't care and just use it anyway.

GT question here: whats the point of the large gas Turbine? I completely understand the Steam variation as it has greater flexibility & efficiency over the single block steam turbines ; but I cannot figure out the gas portion of it. I tried a couple different turbine materials and couldn't find a reason to use the large turbine over HV turbo gas turbine (the single block generator).

I placed in equal amounts of biogas/LPG into 4 turbo gas turbines and they output higher total power and at a faster rate than the large gas turbine multiblock. In other words higher output rate and better fuel efficiency vs the multiblock. I tried to account for the warmup time of the multiblock, but still didnt see any viable advantage.

If anyone knows more about them could you suggest a turbine material and size for HV to EV power output with LPG or Biogas (IC2) for fuel?
I think you've already touched on what is probably the main issue but I am definitely curious what turbine you used in your test.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
After one day with IC2 crops I've already decided that getting 100% completed for the Bronze Age quests isn't really all that important to me. :) I got better things to do with my time than waste it on that.

Having a plant that spits out gold nuggets sure would be handy of course... but ugh.

Reactions: targetingyou78

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
After one day with IC2 crops I've already decided that getting 100% completed for the Bronze Age quests isn't really all that important to me. :) I got better things to do with my time than waste it on that.

Having a plant that spits out gold nuggets sure would be handy of course... but ugh.
The whole 2 quests about IC2 crops are really long term ones, and are of course not necessary to complete at all. It is pretty much: "Hey, you can grow materials, but it is a lot of time and researching I cannot teach you. Wanna do some research? Do it on the internet, or experiment in here"

T

targetingyou78

I have a quick question. What Small Turbine do you guys use when first setting up your Large Steam Turbine? I have a Large Steel Boiler. I know that my LSB will make around 1200L/t or 24000L/s but I see nothing that consumes that much. Do I just pump in everything I got and let the extra go to waste?

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
So... since I'm so new to gregtech and only always heard about how difficult it is, I'm wondering:
- Is a big chunk of it's difficulty to actually find ressources? :(

It's the part that stops me a bit of playing now. I love difficult crafting mechanics and all, but spending hours and hours playing without any real achievment cause I simply don't find anything I can actually use... can make it difficult to stay motivated, heh.

T

targetingyou78

So... since I'm so new to gregtech and only always heard about how difficult it is, I'm wondering:
- Is a big chunk of it's difficulty to actually find ressources? :(

It's the part that stops me a bit of playing now. I love difficult crafting mechanics and all, but spending hours and hours playing without any real achievment cause I simply don't find anything I can actually use... can make it difficult to stay motivated, heh.

I feel pretty similarly. What I would do if you don't feel like finding ores anymore is create a copy of the world you are playing on and use the the Chicken Core command (I believe it's from that mod. If not you can just google it) that removes all Dirt, Stone, Lava, Water etc etc and then be left with just a world of gregtech veins. Then you can easily find anything you want and then just go back to your world and it'll be in the same spot.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I feel pretty similarly. What I would do if you don't feel like finding ores anymore is create a copy of the world you are playing on and use the the Chicken Core command (I believe it's from that mod. If not you can just google it) that removes all Dirt, Stone, Lava, Water etc etc and then be left with just a world of gregtech veins. Then you can easily find anything you want and then just go back to your world and it'll be in the same spot.

I guess it will take a bit longer before I would go this way. In my case it's always difficult to use such ways since the moment I start cheating (besides if a bug ate an important item) I loose motivation even faster. Always trying to avoid anything where you can dupe stuff or cheat in other ways. My mind is very picky when it comes to "playing things as they're meant to be" hehe.

But I guess at some point I might try this, thanks for giving me the hint about this command.
Guess next step for me is to pretty much dig a shaft from overground to bedrock in every chunk... but that's pretty much the last straw which will take another few hours of just digging *sigh*

Just wondering really if this part of gregtech actually gets better at some point or the moment one vein is empty and you need it again you start all over for hours of finding a new one :/