Question about modular power suits

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I only just decided i'd bother with modular power suits, since in the past i'd just use nano/quantum armour since it was easier, but I thought i'd give power suits a go for a change. I must say, they're incredible! Almost OP for their cost (but STAY WELL AWAY GREGORY). However, I just had one question: how much protection do you need to take no damage (if at all)? I just set the advanced plating to maximum thickness for each piece, but is that too much? What's the minimum for 100% protection? Or, if it doesn't give 100%, how much do you get from maximum thickness advanced plating on each of the 4 pieces?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I only just decided i'd bother with modular power suits, since in the past i'd just use nano/quantum armour since it was easier, but I thought i'd give power suits a go for a change. I must say, they're incredible! Almost OP for their cost (but STAY WELL AWAY GREGORY). However, I just had one question: how much protection do you need to take no damage (if at all)? I just set the advanced plating to maximum thickness for each piece, but is that too much? What's the minimum for 100% protection? Or, if it doesn't give 100%, how much do you get from maximum thickness advanced plating on each of the 4 pieces?
I have no idea how far one has to scale the plates to get 100% protection(actually, you can get 100% protection with basic plating as well, but it weighs a lot more), but I also know GregriousT won't need to change anything because MachineMuse added GregTech support for her Recipes. If you have GregTech installed it will enable "GregTech Hardmode" and everything will be super expensive. Well, not really, but advanced things will require expensive parts, and they are usually crafted with Iridium Plates, so you'll burn through a lot of Iridium with your MPS with GregTech recipes when making a great suit.

That being said, it requires a lot of Iridium to use GregTech recipes. I'm not certain I agree with that. It's really excessive how much it uses.
You might as well test and report back if you already have full advanced plating. It costs nothing to tinker with settings.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea how far one has to scale the plates to get 100% protection(actually, you can get 100% protection with basic plating as well, but it weighs a lot more), but I also know GregriousT won't need to change anything because MachineMuse added GregTech support for her Recipes. If you have GregTech installed it will enable "GregTech Hardmode" and everything will be super expensive. Well, not really, but advanced things will require expensive parts, and they are usually crafted with Iridium Plates, so you'll burn through a lot of Iridium with your MPS with GregTech recipes when making a great suit.

That being said, it requires a lot of Iridium to use GregTech recipes. I'm not certain I agree with that. It's really excessive how much it uses.
You might as well test and report back if you already have full advanced plating. It costs nothing to tinker with settings.
Balance YAY!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019

Well, there's the GregTech recipes, but they forgot to disable the (MUCH cheaper) vanilla recipes ;)

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who exploit and those who do not.
To be fair, its on SSP, and the GT recipes seem a bit extortionate, even by GT standards (they're arguably even more expensive than quantum, since they need copious quantities of iridium and chrome, the latter of which can only really be obtained from centrifuging rubies).

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
If you want your armor to have enough energy to actually run for a good amount of time before having a recharge, you're going to want Elite Batteries, and overclocked ones at that. And it weighs a ton to actually add capacity to them... At which point, you're better off going with the energy shield. If you set all energy shields to max in every suit piece, you get the same deal as with Quantum/GraviSuit, complete negation of damage, except from suffocation and drowning. Fire somehow sometimes gets through, but not always, most of the time it's absorbed by the armor.

You can get to about 10million energy before encumbrance starts becoming an issue. Setting protection to max on energy shields doesn't increase the weight at all. That was the setup i was most comfortable with, maximum protection, maximum speed. That being said, when you're using Jetpack, Jetboots and overclocked Sprint Assist, encumbrance can actually become a GOOD thing, because you're going to be flying/Walking/Sprinting too fast. Encumbrance helps with that by slowing you down a bit. For exploration, you could always tune a battery or two down a little so you have no emcumbrance again and can zip through 1000's of blocks fast.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, its on SSP, and the GT recipes seem a bit extortionate, even by GT standards (they're arguably even more expensive than quantum, since they need copious quantities of iridium and chrome, the latter of which can only really be obtained from centrifuging rubies).

They are more expensive than a gravisuit. Realistically you won't unlock flight until you have a fusion reactor and a matter fab.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify - powersuits' max. protection is capped at 6 points per piece = 96% total - Minecraft does 'carry over' some of the %, which is why you'll occasionally take 1/2 heart of damage from fire/poison/etc even if it's only doing 0.02 hearts of damage per second. Apparently it protects against some things it shouldn't, like void damage; interactions with different damage types are somewhere down the list after the custom models and recipes and finishing the 1.5 migration.

Some of the Gregtech recipes were very slightly nerfed in a recent update, but most of them are that way because that's what the Gregtech fans on the IC2 forums asked for. Even GregoriusT himself gave his blessings :p http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=96374#post96374

So yeah. As the mod gains more and more functionality and the properties become more defined, there will probably be some shifts in what people find to be reasonable costs, and I'm prepared to test and adjust accordingly if fans are willing to discuss it and come to a conclusion about what specifically needs to change; it just feels really hopeless when someone gives me a sort of overall 'yeah... it's a little too expensive...should make it cheaper' instead of 'It would make a lot of sense to replace the iridium plates in this particular recipe with tungstensteel' for example.

I hope my random flailing hasn't made people feel like there's no point in discussing it at all. There's just a big difference between discussion that's merely expressing dissatisfaction and discussion that is actionable and helpful.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Just to clarify - powersuits' max. protection is capped at 6 points per piece = 96% total - Minecraft does 'carry over' some of the %, which is why you'll occasionally take 1/2 heart of damage from fire/poison/etc even if it's only doing 0.02 hearts of damage per second. Apparently it protects against some things it shouldn't, like void damage; interactions with different damage types are somewhere down the list after the custom models and recipes and finishing the 1.5 migration.

Some of the Gregtech recipes were very slightly nerfed in a recent update, but most of them are that way because that's what the Gregtech fans on the IC2 forums asked for. Even GregoriusT himself gave his blessings :p http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=96374#post96374

So yeah. As the mod gains more and more functionality and the properties become more defined, there will probably be some shifts in what people find to be reasonable costs, and I'm prepared to test and adjust accordingly if fans are willing to discuss it and come to a conclusion about what specifically needs to change; it just feels really hopeless when someone gives me a sort of overall 'yeah... it's a little too expensive...should make it cheaper' instead of 'It would make a lot of sense to replace the iridium plates in this particular recipe with tungstensteel' for example.

I hope my random flailing hasn't made people feel like there's no point in discussing it at all. There's just a big difference between discussion that's merely expressing dissatisfaction and discussion that is actionable and helpful.
You sir or ma'am are another genius coder...Thank you for MP

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
My general feeling about the GT recipes is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you aren't supposed to have everything at once. Set making one advanced piece as your goal for the next few days, and you'll get there. You don't need a massfab and you definitely don't need a fusion reactor. And as different people have different playstyle, everybody will go for something else. This means more diversity and that is good. Just don't expect to have the best everything after one or two play sessions.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
My general feeling about the GT recipes is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you aren't supposed to have everything at once. Set making one advanced piece as your goal for the next few days, and you'll get there. You don't need a massfab and you definitely don't need a fusion reactor. And as different people have different playstyle, everybody will go for something else. This means more diversity and that is good. Just don't expect to have the best everything after one or two play sessions.
That's debatable. The fusion reactor I can agree with and the different playing styles I also agree with, however from what I've seen pretty much everybody considers the QSuit "End game" and also strives to get it. Therefore you DO need the Matter* fabricator.
Just my 2 census (see what I did there?)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just started experimenting with this mod in creative mode, very impressive, but how do you recharge the suit? I can see that the batteries you add to the suit have a small bit of charge, and you can tinker their capacity, but can't see how you actually recharge the suit.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Just started experimenting with this mod in creative mode, very impressive, but how do you recharge the suit? I can see that the batteries you add to the suit have a small bit of charge, and you can tinker their capacity, but can't see how you actually recharge the suit.

throw'em in an IC2 EU storage like a batbox, MFE or MFSU

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
you can recharge it with IC2 power, also look into the charge pads, they care quite nice for recharing, i usallly make a small square of four charge pads and stand in the middle for quick recharging

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, confused me a bit as the power meter is Mj at the top left :D

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
I use all four pieces and the power tool, but they are vary heavy (i have to take the boots and legs off to fly faster then i can run and if i hold the power tool with all armor on, i am too heavy to fly or glide) as i have put almost all the modules into them, flight control is nice if you need to do any hovering for constructing, say a bridge across a canyon, or just to take one of the billions of amazing views the world gen comes up with. Though with night vision it is a hard (impossible, almost) to tell the true light/darkness so suggest taking it off when underground so i you know where to put torches at. step assist may bug you a tad when your trying to dig a level tunnel with the power tools.

Ive got everything turned up as far as it will go. The parashoot does not work when the helm equipped because its hover is default for flight mode likewise swim and jump and to an extent sprint also conflict with flight, but its a simple matter to either make a second helm or simply remove it. While it runs on MJ power 25m for the five upgraded batteries, the power is shared between all the units you use, it does drain from itself first but when empty will pull from the others, atleast for me.

We did find a bug or glitch that if you break a MFSU with the power glove, it would feed back and act like a supercharged explosion, with the armor and gloves power of MJ combining with the MFSU's shared EU power and make a massive explosion, it took our our pair MFSU's, trio of generators(basic), our extractor and compressor and a pair of both electrolizers and centrifuges, also the mv and lv transformers. As well as everything that the guy had on him, and our barrels of diamonds, rubies and redstone.

Needless to say we moved the IC2 stuff down a floor and put a double layer of xzy-shields in place above it, and spread out wit no machines near the mfsu's or each other.. the walls are 20x20 and the line follows the wall, stepping down each side from high to mid to low. We also implimented a no touching IC2 machines (to move, not for usage) while wearing the armor. And installed one charging pad. Its quick enough, but i like the idea of a 4 square pad, will have to impliment that once i finish this rail tunnel.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
Use the energy shield not the armour plating if you're having issues with weight. It doesn't weigh anything. And you don't need more than two full-weight elite batteries for power, especially if you put in a half-strength kinetic generator. That gives you all the power you will ever need and keeps you unencumbered.

As for flight and the parachute, you do realise you can toggle individual systems on or off, right? Press k to bring up the keybinding screen, then you can assign various systems to hotkeys. Having the flight control system hotkeyed is really useful.

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
its the 5 elite batteries that weight me down with the full strength kinetic gen. did not know about the K, either way i have a flying helm and a everything else helm. we have bout 9 people on the server, gt is disabled by majority vote.