[ReactorCraft] ReC Mechanics Thread

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Would microblocks count for insulation? Since trapdoors count, that would seem to infer that block transparency isn't a factor so, theoretically, you could use lots more things for insulation than I initially thought.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Unless things have changed significantly since I last played, anything that occupies the block space adjacent to a boiler counts as an insulated block, not unlike the way that you could use a sign to suspend lava, for instance. The microblock with the little hole in the middle therefore works as an insulator with the added benefit of leaving a convenient space through which you can access the boiler to take, for example, a manual reading of its temperature.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm currently using these myself, although for purely aesthetic reasons I'm hoping to find something else (trapdoors would singe/burn)

This reminds me: did you tighten the hit-boxes of your blocks? I notice I can look/work past your blocks more effectively now. Its awesome. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
That was done a long time ago.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
More clarifications/corrections:
  • LP turbines can be damaged by all entities unless they are marked as "ethereal" (wisps, ball lightning) or are impossible to prevent spawning of (TF fireflies). Even small mobs like bats and birds will destroy them.
... Butterflies? (Forestry)

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
I'm currently using these myself, although for purely aesthetic reasons I'm hoping to find something else (trapdoors would singe/burn)

This reminds me: did you tighten the hit-boxes of your blocks? I notice I can look/work past your blocks more effectively now. Its awesome. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering.
Iron trapdoors? Or were those added in 1.8?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That could work as well, but then, why don't make it an HSLA Steel trapdoor?
Maybe I will!

can someone talk to me about Waste disposal? Can I still void it like a total punk via something like a TE Nullifier? Conversely, is there any interesting benefits to "storing" the waste now?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno about storing waste, but yeah, as far as I know, you can still void it. At least, that's what I do with XU trash cans and TE retrievers.

Reactions: Pyure

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks, all I needed to know.
The storage tank things (the ones you have to submerge in water to keep them from overheating- as opposed to the long-term storage drums) will occasionally spit out a neutron or two. Annoying in most cases, sure, but at least at some time in the past, those neutrons acted the same way as ordinary fission neutrons, but can be fired up and down as well as in the horizontal directions. So if you situate you storage tanks right below your main reactor, you can get a little more juice out of the nuclear waste.

No idea if that still works, of course, but if it does, it provides a creative use for nuclear waste that might even justify the added risk and hassle of not just voiding the stuff.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
I'm reminded of that episode in Star Trek: Voyager (season 5, ep. 1; "Night") where the crew encountered a species native to a region of space that was void of any "nearby" stars who were being poisoned by the Malon, another species who were dumping their "waste theta radiation" into the region. Naturally, the natives were pretty pissed; hostilities and drama ensued. @Reika maybe a solution to this dumping "problem" could be found in similar fashion. If there's no practical way to prevent people from dumping, maybe doing so could anger some eldrich abomination or other void-dwelling faction enough for them to leave the void and hunt the guilty party down! ;)

[Edit]

To the topic of waste disposal, I believe that the rate of decay for most (all?) radioactive waste materials was relaxed some time ago. In any event, I can confirm that waste disposal is not as egregious as it might first appear. Granted, certain reactors are dirtier than others and I only ran mine as and when needed (not 24/7), which should be the goal anyhow. But my waste coolant pond occupied the space of a single chunk with 25 Spent Fuel Containers / Nuclear Waste Disposal Drums (split evenly; 13 and 12 respectively), spaced two blocks apart in all directions and fed with EnderIO conduits. I never once filled all of them to capacity. By the time I was ready to run my reactor again, most or all of the waste had decayed. There's really no reason not to handle them properly instead of jettisoning them into the void.

Still, if the above consequences ever became reality, it might make for some hilarious good times! :D

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm reminded of that episode in Star Trek: Voyager (season 5, ep. 1; "Night") where the crew encountered a species native to a region of space that was void of any "nearby" stars who were being poisoned by the Malon, another species who were dumping their "waste theta radiation" into the region. Naturally, the natives were pretty pissed; hostilities and drama ensued. @Reika maybe a solution to this dumping "problem" could be found in similar fashion. If there's no practical way to prevent people from dumping, maybe doing so could anger some eldrich abomination or other void-dwelling faction to hunt down the guilty party! ;)
Unfortunately, if he could initiate that retribution when needed, he'd also have access to a practical way to prevent people from dumping.

Since we're building these reactors in Minecraftia and not Earth, I'd probably recommend just trying to reward players for handling the waste properly. Either that or remove waste as an "item" and make it something else that he can control.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Ha! You may be right about that. Still, here's me putting my unsophisticated, undereducated programming hat on; couldn't ownership of a reactor and its byproducts be established by whomsoever placed the block(s)? Couldn't that ownership be carried in the metadata and inherited by the waste items? Even if the actual disposal logistics were established by a friend, there would still be someone who could ultimately be held accountable. And just like in that Voyager episode, any "friends" or even innocent passersby in the area where the Voidspawn seek retribution would become secondary targets (standard hostile mob aggro) in their quest for revenge! :p

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I'd probably recommend just trying to reward players for handling the waste properly.

Yes! It's too much of a pain to work with for the role-playing aspect, so I void it every time. Rather than breaking voiding waste, I would very much like to see some sort of utility given for handling it.

It would be cool to process waste into new fuel. Realistically this notion is not too lucrative, but it would fit in fine in Minecraft. The issue IRL is that too much money and energy is required to reprocess fuel or to develop better technology for that. Oh and the scares of nuclear weapons and all that.

I don't have any specific machine or block ideas, I just want a reason to not instantly void all the waste my reactors produce. As long as that reason isn't "my world will be ruined" if I do, then it should be perfectly fine.

Braidedheadman

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the reward could come in the form of good relations with the Voidspawn faction after a while, who could be traded with for some alien materials that aren't on the known periodic table of elements in small(ish) quantities, "unobtanium" perhaps (lol), which could be used as a clean but highly perishable alternative fuel source? Maybe? I dunno.