Ruins prefab structures

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I was overjoyed when Ruins updated for 1.10.2.

For those of you who do not know what it is, it basically randomly spawns in pre-fabricated worldgen blocks into the world. So, for example, you might encounter the ruins of a building or an Easter Island head or something like that. Yes, if you wanted to make a prefab that was built out of diamond blocks or something, you could use it to break balance horridly, however it can also be used to give a sense of ambiance. A sense of 'there was someone here before us... and that someone is no longer around. Why?'.

The default items that come with the mod are okay. You've got some very interesting things that are not really crazy resource-wise (well, other than those pirate ships, stacks and stacks of gold, but also lots of mobs to deal with), but tend to be more on the bland side.

Has anyone tried their hand at making some more interesting little things to spawn in using Ruins? Maybe a Vechs-like !!FUN!!Box? Something to give the player an 'oh crap' moment, but also has loot commensurate to the challenge? Is there a place I can go to browse and obtain prefab files? Is this a thing anyone else wants to see?

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I was using uh, Recurrent Complex, I think, for this in 1.7, and pondered the same thing.

It's definitely a great idea to get a bunch together. It could possibly have me load up a pack instead of playing Rimworld/Overwatch.

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
I made a bunch for 1.7.10. Mostly tiny decorative things like sailboats, but a handful of larger things too. I'll have to look through what I've got and separate them from the ones I downloaded from other people so I can post them here.

This post from the minecraft forums is the list I got most of my downloaded stuff from: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-ruins-structure-spawning-system?comment=3181 Jordan_Peacock's ruins in particular are amazing and highly recommended.

Do you know if fastcraft still screws up ruinstrigger command blocks in 1.10.2?

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried their hand at making some more interesting little things to spawn in using Ruins? Maybe a Vechs-like !!FUN!!Box? Something to give the player an 'oh crap' moment, but also has loot commensurate to the challenge? Is there a place I can go to browse and obtain prefab files? Is this a thing anyone else wants to see?

Personally, I wanted to make a number of ChromatiCraft-themed structures that would essentially serve as sources of loot fragments. With all of the cool stuff in the mod, you would definitely see some great looking structures. There are also story-telling possibilities there: all those structures you find in ChromatiCraft's progression leaves you wondering who was exploring and studying chromic magic before you and why have their structures been abandoned with no trace of life? Honestly though, due to my less-than-stellar motivation, I do not think it will ever see the light of day.

More people (if motivated) should take a go at producing their own structures. Would be insanely cool to eventually have a monster pack with so many unique and cool structures and you would almost never run into the same one twice. It would be like a randomly generated Bethesda world at that point :p

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Personally, I wanted to make a number of ChromatiCraft-themed structures that would essentially serve as sources of loot fragments. With all of the cool stuff in the mod, you would definitely see some great looking structures. There are also story-telling possibilities there: all those structures you find in ChromatiCraft's progression leaves you wondering who was exploring and studying chromic magic before you and why have their structures been abandoned with no trace of life? Honestly though, due to my less-than-stellar motivation, I do not think it will ever see the light of day.

I have my own similar idea that'll also never see the light of day; 'where the world came to die' would be heavily tech based with a focus on stripping/burning and exploiting everything for personal wealth.
The worldgen would contain broken facsimiles of the magic mod's magic; circles of cracked black stones** [Chromaticraft], moss covered alters [Thaumcraft], and piles of bones [Blood Magic] ect.

**Imagine Stonehenge (as it currently stands) made with Railcraft's abyssal stone.​

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: RedBoss

signupsucks

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see some of the things you find in Blightfall as ruins. You'd have to convert most of them into vanilla equivalents*, but things like the marble shrine, the tundra cave, the greatwood tree house, the waterfall nook, the mesa towers (just one, with a rudimentary house at the top, rather than a landscape of them, but these may be too large) or even the floating islands (albeit not nearly so big) supported by glowstone would all be neat finds.

It would also be nice if these automatically swapped to mod-specific versions if those mods were present. All of those I mentioned above have Thaumcraft and Botania specific blocks, but these could be replaced with equivalent vanilla blocks (if TC isn't present for the arcane elevator, for example, use a design that incorporates ladders), and use the 'original' variants where possible.

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
The structures I've been making for 1.10.2 can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8gwe4638lqbakd/AAD2nsMtDSBvezUADCYmo2s-a?dl=0 I still have ideas left, so I'll be adding to that list now and then when I'm not playing Infinity. Most are vanilla items only; the names indicate which ones aren't.

----

I'm wondering something. There's a ruin I made that I really love seeing in my Infinity game: A decorative bird-shaped cloud. However, the chisel clouds in 1.10.2 are opaque. So, should I use the weirdly opaque clouds and have the bird at least be made out of something called cloud, use white stained glass (which looks closer to ideal, and has the benefit of being non-chisel-packs friendly), or just skip updating that one until a mod with a better cloud block gets added?

Last edited:
Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Diamond blocks work okay, if you use something to make them harder to break than normal ones. Say make a 'Decorative Diamond Block' that drops a normal one when broken, but takes Manyullyn to actually break so it drops works fine. And by the time you've got a tool that can do it, it's probably no longer balance breaking.

Intermix white stained glass on the edges, and cloud in the middle where the opacity won't matter.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The structures I've been making for 1.10.2 can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8gwe4638lqbakd/AAD2nsMtDSBvezUADCYmo2s-a?dl=0 I still have ideas left, so I'll be adding to that list now and then when I'm not playing Infinity. Most are vanilla items only; the names indicate which ones aren't.

----

I'm wondering something. There's a ruin I made that I really love seeing in my Infinity game: A decorative bird-shaped cloud. However, the chisel clouds in 1.10.2 are opaque. So, should I use the weirdly opaque clouds and have the bird at least be made out of something called cloud, use white stained glass (which looks closer to ideal, and has the benefit of being non-chisel-packs friendly), or just skip updating that one until a mod with a better cloud block gets added?
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and I salute you. I will be making sure to cite you in the mod pack credits as the creator of a significant number of the ruins buildings, and probably mention you by name in one of the Let's Play episodes.

When you say Chisel for 1.10.2, do you mean the actual mod Chisel2 or do you mean Chisels n Bits?

st753m

Jul 29, 2019
When you say Chisel for 1.10.2, do you mean the actual mod Chisel2 or do you mean Chisels n Bits?

It's Chisel 2, probably; the mod list for Unstable just calls it Chisel. Definitely not Chisels n Bits anyway, which I see in the list as its own thing.