Having issues with spawning mobs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheAccountant_

Jul 29, 2019
Hi folks. I recently started playing FTB Infinity Evolved on expert mode. I'm trying to create a mob spawner (vanilla style) at y=250. It's 3 high with slabs for a roof and the room is 18x18. I use fans to blow mobs into a 3x3 pit in the center, dropping 45 blocks (where my "AFK point" is also located). The y level is 70 on average below me, leaving more than 128 blocks to the surface. I've hit F7 to make sure that every block within the room is spawnable (floor is grass).

My question is, why won't mobs ever spawn in there? I've run the /cofh killall command to eliminate all hostile entities. Once run, one or two mobs might spawn in the room. However, spawns stop after that. I run the command again, and another 80 hostile entities are killed. How is this possible? I thought hostile mobs wouldn't spawn more than 128 blocks away from a player (I'm on a solo world).

Appreciate any insight you guys can give.

Edit: I created a superflat world on creative with the exact same spawner - works fine.

Here's a link to my F3 if it helps at all. http://imgur.com/a/DQY4X

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
45 block drop seems a bit far away to me...

Sent from a mystical device from North of the 49th

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
What biome type is the mob spawner in? Not mushroom island right?

TheAccountant_

Jul 29, 2019
What biome type is the mob spawner in? Not mushroom island right?

Regular ole plains biome. I wandered around the overworld for a bit today (was searching for sand) and it was night time - mobs spawned EVERYWHERE.

On a slightly different topic, I also went into the Nether for the first time and crashed twice after a few minutes each time. Third time no problem for approximately double the time of the first two attempts. Sort of wondering if my world could somehow just be bugged out?

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds strange. Do those three crash reports have any useful tidbits in them?

TheAccountant_

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds strange. Do those three crash reports have any useful tidbits in them?

It has been a while - how do I find the logs again? I'm no good at reading them, so I could certainly post them for others. I did notice a few strings pointing out potential errors with EnderIO conflicts but I'm not sure how that would impact mobs or the Nether.

Edit: Got it. http://pastebin.com/en6CZwyN

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Set view distance to 10 or higher if it isn't already. setting the extra utilities builder block to the distance settings on the minecraft wiki might help tell what the issue is as well. It has always melped me vastly. I have trouble getting those measures right. Some mods may also cause issues. I made a pack where the killing floor rarely to never got spawns. It was at world height. Every time I used killall a lot of stuff died. Including the few name tagged mobs I had laying around. Might be a squid issue? those squids just can't be trusted and are best banned from any server before it is even started up.

TheAccountant_

Jul 29, 2019
Set view distance to 10 or higher if it isn't already. setting the extra utilities builder block to the distance settings on the minecraft wiki might help tell what the issue is as well. It has always melped me vastly. I have trouble getting those measures right. Some mods may also cause issues. I made a pack where the killing floor rarely to never got spawns. It was at world height. Every time I used killall a lot of stuff died. Including the few name tagged mobs I had laying around. Might be a squid issue? those squids just can't be trusted and are best banned from any server before it is even started up.

I'm not on a server, just a regular single player world, so I think the view distance settings are a bit different in the way you change them? I've altered my render distance, if that's what you mean. Not sure what you mean by builder block distance, though.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not on a server, just a regular single player world, so I think the view distance settings are a bit different in the way you change them? I've altered my render distance, if that's what you mean. Not sure what you mean by builder block distance, though.
I may be getting the wrong terms. View distance it is though. A bug messes with spawns if the render distance is set to 9 or lower. The builder block is that thing in extrautilies your fit a set of measures and a shape into and hit with a redstone signal and a dye and it displays a field in that shape, size, color that you can fill in with blocks. I have rarely used it for building with though. It is a lot more useful to me for checking 3D measures. Like how many blocks the spawn floor is away. RF tools has a similar block that takes RF.

pic I downloaded off of the minecraft wiki says that mob spawners have to be within 16 blocks to spawn mobs. Mobs will spawn just outside 24 blocks away to just below 32 blocks away.

I remembered that I have used Magnum Torches and the such before to cut down on spawns outside that range. No hostile mobs can spawn within a ?32? block radius of the torch. Vanilla players have been know to take every thing down to bedrock in a 128 block radius on the x,z coordinates of the mob trap to prevent spawns,

TheAccountant_

Jul 29, 2019
I may be getting the wrong terms. View distance it is though. A bug messes with spawns if the render distance is set to 9 or lower. The builder block is that thing in extrautilies your fit a set of measures and a shape into and hit with a redstone signal and a dye and it displays a field in that shape, size, color that you can fill in with blocks. I have rarely used it for building with though. It is a lot more useful to me for checking 3D measures. Like how many blocks the spawn floor is away. RF tools has a similar block that takes RF.

pic I downloaded off of the minecraft wiki says that mob spawners have to be within 16 blocks to spawn mobs. Mobs will spawn just outside 24 blocks away to just below 32 blocks away.

I remembered that I have used Magnum Torches and the such before to cut down on spawns outside that range. No hostile mobs can spawn within a ?32? block radius of the torch. Vanilla players have been know to take every thing down to bedrock in a 128 block radius on the x,z coordinates of the mob trap to prevent spawns,

Well, I've tried messing with the render distance already by setting it to max. Not sure if that's the right way to do it but I didn't notice any difference. Think I'll just work my way up to mob spawners as opposed to vanilla-style. I'm not sure what the deal is.