Thaumcraft Flux question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dr.Gary-Nope

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing mainly thaumcraft in FTB ultimate and was unsure about the amount of flux I was generating, since I haven't got to goggles of revealing yet.
I decided it would be a good idea to plant a lot of silverwood trees nearby to give myself a large pure node to work with and hopefully reduce the effects of the flux, as soon as the last tree grew, which was on top of my house, many whisps started spawning (around 10 in the space of 20 minutes) in the upstairs of my home, the thing is, I haven't used the crucible that much and it's been a good while since I used it, so any Idea why the game decided to dump all those whisps on me at that point?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I decided it would be a good idea to plant a lot of silverwood trees[...]

That is where it all went downhill. I'm going to leave it to someone who has played with the Thaumcraft system more than I have to explain it properly, but the key factor I've found is that silvertree's pure nodes compiled into a massive pure node cause a lot more problems than they even think to try and fix.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is that flux is a disturbance in the local aura of any type - this includes the creation of new nodes.

When a silverwood tree grows and creates a node, it also creates a moderate amount of flux. When two nodes merge, flux is also created. The good news is that the nodes created this way are pure, and as long as you're not "feeding" the pure nodes into a larger node of a different type, the resultant node will also be pure. Pure nodes act to reduce flux over time.

So what's happening is that by creating a bunch of nodes, you've temporarily increased the flux in the area. Now the flux will start to slowly dissipate. It will dissipate faster if a node is larger, as adding additional smaller spaced out pure nodes will do nothing to aid in flux reduction of any one node. Flux isn't distributed evenly when it's created - it appears in the closest node and then bleeds out over time if there is enough flux. This means that adding new pure nodes close by but not close enough to merge will not reduce the flux in an area any faster.

PS: I've never really had a big problem living in areas with a lot of flux. Lightning strikes, wisps, random potion effects, etc - Wisps are controllable by putting a containment box around a node (you could even throw in some portal turrets to kill the wisps for you). The potion effects are underwhelming and the lightning strikes are rare. This is on a server where I live next to a node that two people use indiscriminately for all their nefarious magic purposes. I don't even contain the wisps, they just spawn and fly around. They never seem to try to pursue you, and if you do get zapped - bow and arrow seem to do the trick in taking them down.

CrazyCoco

Jul 29, 2019
As the others said, it is most likely due to the growing of the trees. I wish the taint corruption was still in thaumcraft...

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
As the others said, it is most likely due to the growing of the trees. I wish the taint corruption was still in thaumcraft...
I'm personally glad it's not. That was gamechanging mandatory-participation stuff. I liked it, but that's not great for a multiplayer situation.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
How I understand how it works. First time you grow a Silverwood tree, it may seem like it destroys the aura node, which was already here. But here is what i think happens:

Let's call silverwood aura node B and the node which was here before A.
You grow silverwood tree and create new aura node B, it will force the aura node A to "dissintegrate" and it will generate, as said above, moderate amount of flux. Flux inside the aura A needs to go somewhere, it will not just dissapear. So it will release all flux held in it out.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
what's with the flux fear? :D

such is the price of power.

who said I fear flux? I said you might do mistakes without the goggles, I always research everything before crafting anything, besides the altar and the 3 wands.

small problem: thaumcraft is now SMP, if there was taint, you could go to spawn and throw 20 stacks of rotten flesh in a cauldron from your xp farm and the world will be corrupted in taint before you can type /ban griefer

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
How I understand how it works. First time you grow a Silverwood tree, it may seem like it destroys the aura node, which was already here. But here is what i think happens:

Let's call silverwood aura node B and the node which was here before A.
You grow silverwood tree and create new aura node B, it will force the aura node A to "dissintegrate" and it will generate, as said above, moderate amount of flux. Flux inside the aura A needs to go somewhere, it will not just dissapear. So it will release all flux held in it out.

Wrong. If you are growing a silverwood tree on TOP of a node such that the new node occupies the same space as the old one, the two nodes will just merge and release a moderate amount of flux.

If you are growing a silverwood tree near another node, the exact same thing will happen. Pure nodes created by silverwood trees take their aura partially from the closest node and partially from infused stone.