Enchanting Strategies

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
FTB brings a whole new level of enchanting. With soul shards, new mobs, exp storage, an uncrafting table, and a whole slew of other mod added enchantments, it just keeps getting better and better!

My question is, how do you enchant? Do you just level 30 it all day? Or do you go specific levels for specific enchantments?
How do you get your highest enchantment? Plain books, Uncrafting, or both?
Do you change materials, maybe from gold, corrupted ingots, or thaumium to other materials? Such as diamond?
Do you enchant your IC2 tools?
What enchantments have you gotten on items?

I just want people to post their full blown out strategies here, and maybe we can all learn a little more about enchanting. I like to start with a gold pickaxe or two, then enchant a ton of books. If I want Repair, I'll go Thaum. If I want a stronger pick in general, I'll go diamond, through the recrafting of the Uncrafting table.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
On my old world, I had a sharpness V nano saber... those were the days. I also had protection IV on my quantum armour, but I don't know if it made any difference.

When i'm enchanting stuff normally, I just do it the old-fashioned way. The enchantability of books is TERRIBLE, its rare to get anything IV other than efficiency. Besides I can always find use for any picks that don't have fortune or silk touch.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
With things that aren't IV, you can put books together (or put them on tools and put the tools together) with anvils.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
With things that aren't IV, you can put books together (or put them on tools and put the tools together) with anvils.
I think you can only combine books with books in creative mode. Don't think it works in standard survival.

DWLooney

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can only combine books with books in creative mode. Don't think it works in standard survival.
you most certainly CAN, if you have enough levels and the books aren't completely high-powered...
works: fortune II + fortune II = fortune III for 26 levels
Doesn't work: fortune III + fortune III (too expensive)

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I simply make an item, thaumcraft items or diamond if I don't have upgraded tc items. enchant at lvl 30.

No more, no less.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha I just downloaded it too! I saw Guswut talking about it :D
I simply make an item, thaumcraft items or diamond if I don't have upgraded tc items. enchant at lvl 30.

No more, no less.
That's how I start, but getting a completely overpowered item is pure amazement.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Hahaha I just downloaded it too! I saw Guswut talking about it :D

That's how I start, but getting a completely overpowered item is pure amazement.

I have had them before. It doesn't really matter to me. The only enchantment I want on a sword is looting and any form of sharpness. I don't like fire or knockback on weapons.
On tools all I really want are unbreaking 3 and efficiency 3 or 4. Silk touch and fortune are fine but I came to modded minecraft so I don't have to mine by hand.
To me armor just isn't that necessary to be enchanted. Random enchants are fine, it's not like mobs are actually hard to kill.

Back on the bukkit server I play on they put on an enchanting plugin for vanilla. I used it when max level was 50 but since the change to 30 it is too easy to just do random 30's and get good enchants.

Reactions: JPandaGamer

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I like having Silk Touch for when I'm just walking around and see that Uranium/Ruby Ore. Knockback makes things worse with skeletons, and fire is somewhat useful, but not all that great. I don't think I enchant armor at all. I use nano, so I may haste-enchant my boots, but that's all.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Pickaxes:
If you want Fortune/Silktouch Lvl 30 on an Iron Pick, if you already have a Fortune/Silk Touch pick or just don't want one, then I enchant Lvl 30 on a Diamond Pickaxe.
Swords:
Always a Lvl 30 on a Diamond Sword or Vile Sword if I want Soul Stealer. I make sure to add an Unbreaking 3 from books aswell.
Armor:
Modular Powersuits
Books:
Despite their horrid enchantment rates, books are actually good for something. They allow you to get Unbreaking 3 on Swords and Silk Touch/Efficiency on Shears. When you have a Silk Touch Shear, you can get stacks over stacks of Ice/Glowstone without losing any durability at all because it is not an actual tool meant for those things, but Silk Touch books are rare I find them, on average, 1 every 3 chests (1.5 double chests).

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Once I get more settled into my world, I'll probably set up some barrels and some turtles, they'll automatically enchant everything and send it through barrels. I can keep good books in barrels and send the bad ones for a Gregtech magic energy converter thing :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I enchent books becuase I can use the unwanted ones in Thuamcraft for their aspects.

Sometimes I stand next to murderbot as he murders things in my xp farm while suring the web and ever few minutes enchant a book and toss it a chest. Later i go through them and pull out the ones I wanna keep. the reset go in the pot to be turned into liquid aspects for storage. Or I take them to the local thaum villager when hes looking for enchanted books and trade with him.

Jake0oo0

Jul 29, 2019
T5 blaze and wither skele farm, killed by 5 Meele turtles, Xp goes to a XP turtle, xp turtle enchants with custom enchanting program. I can get around 4-5 dubs of books in a night lol

Reactions: Geometry

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
T5 blaze and wither skele farm, killed by 5 Meele turtles, Xp goes to a XP turtle, xp turtle enchants with custom enchanting program. I can get around 4-5 dubs of books in a night lol
Would you mind showing your setup and uploading your script to pastebin? I have been looking for a program like yours but I've got no luck. Would be rather generous of you if would provide a brief setup overview and paste the script on pastebin. :) thanks

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't mind seeing either. I'd like to try to make the enchanting turtle's code myself, but I just want to see how others do it. I'll need an auto cow and paper farm :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ditto that request, can you show a setup of mob grinder and xp turtle, and it's script. Checked the CC forums, looks simple enough to use.
Does the turtle have a maximum limit to what it collects? Looks like this is superior for collecting XP instead of a brain in a jar, as it can also spit out XP for the player to collect if required.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a wither skele drop to 1 hp pit, picked up sword of the xzepher. 15 sec or so of swining = 30 levels. Enchant book. Repeat. I actually built the thing to get skulls, but a few minutes of looting zepher made the need for automation vanish.

Early on, level 1 book enchants were nice for getting unreaking/protections/sharpness/e.t.c 1 books to get tools up to level II.

I'll eventualy grind for a unbreaking III book if I havn't found one in a loot chest to put on a repair/eff V Tool or sharpness/repair sword So that they cause less flux repairing ^^'

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I usually get a bunch of wooden picks, then enchant them with low levels. Sometimes I'll use a stone pick, and iron/gold/diamond is just impossible to do because of how I do things. I enchant a bunch of the same type of pick with low levels, pick out the ones I want, and 'breed' the enchantments to get better ones. I have no clue how the uncrafting table works, so it might be possible to get those 'bred' enchantments into books and then put onto a much better quality pick, like TC3 or diamond. If I don't need an enchanted pick, I just void pipe it.
The way it works is I get a few levels from my awful slow mob trap, enchant a tool, and if I like the enchantment I keep it and then enchant more picks. Eventually when I have a bunch of enchanted picks with low level enchantments, usually singular enchantments (Most double-enchanted tools get void piped, as it's not a concentrated enchantment and will just lead to issues), I use the anvil to combine them.

Example:
Ef. 1 Pick + Ef. 1 Pick = Ef. 2 Pick
Ef. 1 Pick + Ef. 1 Pick = Ef. 2 Pick
Ef. 2 Pick + Ef. 2 Pick = Ef. 3 Pick
Un. 1 Pick + Un. 1 Pick = Un. 2 Pick
Un. 2 Pick + Ef. 3 Pick = Ef. 3 Un. 2 Pick
Efficiency 3 unbreaking 2 stone/wooden pickaxe right there.

The upside to this is that instead of waiting for 30 levels and hoping not to die and lose them all, my progress is stored.
And that's about the only upside.
Downside is that it can only go on stone/wood tools, because to do so would cause a MASSIVE hole in my resources.