Question about Mekanism's Digital Miner

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

No one

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't put this in the simple question/ simple answer thread because I figured not that many people even use Mekanism. Does anybody know if it's possible to input items into the energy slot of the Digital Miner using item ducts? I recently found out that redstone dust seems to be able to power the Digital Miner and I was wondering if I could just power it by automatically putting redstone in it because my tesseract's energy output doesn't seem to be able to keep up with all the speed upgrades.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Add energy upgrades too. Lots of speed upgrades make it use an ENORMOUS amount of power otherwise.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of people use Mekanism. FTB official pack devs have just been neglegent in using the mod. Third party packs and packs on other Launchers have been using Mekanism for years.

That being said, Redstone isn't a great power source since it's the backbone of tech creation. You'd be better off developing a separate power system for the Miner.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I asked someone I consider an authority on the matter about Mek in FTB packs a few days ago, as I was surprised at how little usage it got (Horizons Daybreaker being the only official pack I could find using it).

He mentioned that the mod isn't particularly friendly to servers or certain large packs. Obviously people's mileage will vary.

Bit of a shame for me of course; I've always wanted to check the mod out and have never really found a perfect opportunity.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@Pyure: I suggest trying Space Astronomy. The sheer amount of Iron required means 5x processing is very useful. I probably couldn't have managed my super size train track without it.

@No one: Frankly, you're going to want a Tesseract or Dimensional Transceiver to power your Digital Miner. It's extremely power hungry. That said I carry either an Elite or Ultimate Energy Cube around specifically to provide juice for it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure: I suggest trying Space Astronomy. The sheer amount of Iron required means 5x processing is very useful. I probably couldn't have managed my super size train track without it.
This is gonna sound extremely silly but...I can't make myself play that pack simply due to the redundant name. I think you'll find me making fun of it on the first page or two.

If "Astronomy" is the study of space, then I'm guessing Space Astronomy is the...space-study of space? The study of space in space? Nope can't do it. I'll take it more seriously if and when it gets renamed :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Astronomy is, etymologically at least, the study of stars.

So you could say that the hubble telescope is Space astronomy, since it's, well, in space (as opposed to ground based telescopes).

But I take it this modpack isn't about creating orbital deep space observation devices?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No, more about strapping yourself to a rocket and exploring the stars for yourself. I got to Venus before I burnt out trying to get meteoric iron to continue. (Because every tier requires the previous tier's primary materials, to make as well as the newest one.)

No one

Jul 29, 2019

@No one: Frankly, you're going to want a Tesseract or Dimensional Transceiver to power your Digital Miner. It's extremely power hungry. That said I carry either an Elite or Ultimate Energy Cube around specifically to provide juice for it.
I do have a tesseract, but even with an ultimate universal cable it doesn't seem to be able to power it fast enough, it just runs out of power after around a minute. I'll try maxing out the energy upgrades and see if that can bring the power usage down enough for it to keep up.

I assume from the lack of any mention about it that you can't input items into the energy slot, which is a shame because I have way too much redstone lying around. Thanks for the help, all of you guys :D.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't connect it with a cable. Put the Tesseract directly against it and it'll suck juice as fast as the Tesseract can push it through. Tesseracts are unbuffered, so they have infinite transfer capacity. I ran a 4k turbine through it and with five speed upgrades it wasn't enough.

Mekanism Energy Upgrades don't increase efficiency. I don't know how that idea got started. What they do is increase the size of the internal capacitor. IE it can store more power.

Feeding things redstone is something specific to IndustrialCraft. What you put inside the energy slot are batteries. Mekanism Energy Cubes, Flux Capacitors, Galacticraft Batteries... that kind of thing. And then they get drained directly into the Miner.

If you're not concerned about speed, a basic Mekanism Solar Panel is more than enough to run it slowly over time.

Reactions: No one

No one

Jul 29, 2019
Don't connect it with a cable. Put the Tesseract directly against it and it'll suck juice as fast as the Tesseract can push it through. Tesseracts are unbuffered, so they have infinite transfer capacity. I ran a 4k turbine through it and with five speed upgrades it wasn't enough.

Mekanism Energy Upgrades don't increase efficiency. I don't know how that idea got started. What they do is increase the size of the internal capacitor. IE it can store more power.

Feeding things redstone is something specific to IndustrialCraft. What you put inside the energy slot are batteries. Mekanism Energy Cubes, Flux Capacitors, Galacticraft Batteries... that kind of thing. And then they get drained directly into the Miner.

If you're not concerned about speed, a basic Mekanism Solar Panel is more than enough to run it slowly over time.

Really? I always thought the tesseract had a limited energy output, for some reason. Thanks for the tips! I have a second question, what is the fastest way to input energy into the tesseract from the other side? Should I just place it right next to my resonant energy cell, or use a redstone energy conduit?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Absolute fastest? Tesseract against the cell. But you can go faster with multiple cells against a Cryo-stabilized flux duct, since it also has infinite transfer. So you can have an additional max per cell connected to the duct.

Reactions: No one

No one

Jul 29, 2019
Absolute fastest? Tesseract against the cell. But you can go faster with multiple cells against a Cryo-stabilized flux duct, since it also has infinite transfer. So you can have an additional max per cell connected to the duct.
I'll move the tesseract right next to the cell. Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes they do. It's how I can have Mekanism machines running at 2 rf/t instead of the standard 20 rf/t. That's just with 8 energy upgrades, no speed. Speed upgrades do, however, increase the energy usage more than energy upgrades decrease it.