NONE of the Modpacks launch - stop at Mojang screen

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

PenPhantom

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
NONE of the Modpacks launch - stop at Mojang screen
Launcher Version:
v1.4.11
Modpack:
All
Modpack Version:
Recommended (i.e. latest)
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Windows 10, 64-bit (w/ 64-bit Java)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Stops at some variation on "Removed 0 missing texture stacktraces. Tada!" for whatever mod. Task manager says using 30-40% CPU (GPU not mentioned, don't think I have one). Doesn't take forever, just flat-out stops attempting to launch

Same thing with ATLauncher packs as well.

Have tried:
- going into slash.properties and turning off the splash screen
- removing fastcraft
- removing all mods and loading them in one-by-one
- screaming at computer until throat hurt
- giving it 2 - 3.5 G of RAM
- giving it maximum amount of RAM
- giving it 1 Gig of RAM
- screaming at it again

I'm thinking this is a problem with the Launcher version I have, because I had a similarly shit computer before, and the packs launched just fine, even Unstable. Were laggy as all hell, but worked.

If you lack the technical knowledge to actually decipher what the fuck is going on, just give me a link to previous launcher versions, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
"Same thing with ATLauncher packs as well." with "If you lack the technical knowledge to actually decipher what the fuck is going on, just give me a link to previous launcher versions, that'd be fantastic."

Really...? How would launcher downgrade help if other launchers(sic) has the same problem?

Ps. http://ftb.cursecdn.com/FTB2/maven/net/ftb/FTB_Launcher/index.html

Last edited:

PenPhantom

Jul 29, 2019
"Same thing with ATLauncher packs as well." with "If you lack the technical knowledge to actually decipher what the fuck is going on, just give me a link to previous launcher versions, that'd be fantastic."

Really...? How would launcher downgrade help if other launchers(sic) has the same problem?

Ps. http://ftb.cursecdn.com/FTB2/maven/net/ftb/FTB_Launcher/index.html

My problem is that I can't find the exact files/set of files that's causing the issue, so I figure getting ONE launcher to work will point me in the right direction.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The two key terms I see are

• Windows 10, 64-bit (w/ 64-bit Java)
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Do a search based on this and opengl. The default windows 10 driver for intel video doesn't have opengl support anymore.

PenPhantom

Jul 29, 2019
The two key terms I see are

• Windows 10, 64-bit (w/ 64-bit Java)
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Do a search based on this and opengl. The default windows 10 driver for intel video doesn't have opengl support anymore.
So, should I (a) turn off OpenGL [somehow?] or (b) downgrade to a functional driver?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I would try to use one of the drivers from Intel for your system (not microsoft's driver). A downgraded driver maybe what you have to use. But you can't turn off opengl. Minecraft requies opengl to run. If this is a desktop PC you could also install different video card and not use the built in video.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The 1st thing I would try would be to install the latest video drive from intel.com for your system. The one included with windows 10 was written by Microsoft. If that doesn't work do some research about installing the older 8.1 driver on windows 10. Sorry I can't help you with this part. I haven't had this issue. But a friend of mine did and that was what he did to fix the issue.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
This issue is interesting. Earlier report I've seen have been only with HD Graphics 4400 and 4600 + driver version 10.18.15.4248 + Windows 10. Now we can probably add Skylake's GPUs in the list of problems.

Someone should use some time to reproduce this bug. (I can't because I do not own hardware...)

Ps. Please report back if older or newer version of the driver fixes this problem

PenPhantom

Jul 29, 2019
[QUOTE="Ps.
Please report back if older or newer version of the driver fixes this problem[/QUOTE]

Didn't work, still stopped launching. Will try to backdate driver software instead.

PenPhantom

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: The older driver software was incompatible with my chip (Intel Core i7).

Guess no Minecraft for me until either MS or Intel release an update with OpenGL support :(

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? The integrated Intel GPU obviously isn't really meant for gaming so it often may lack in required features anyway, but I had no idea that they have drivers for it that don't have any OpenGL support at all :eek:
So there are a couple of things you might be able to do (that I know of, I don't use win10 myself), none of which are really optimal:

1) If this is a desktop computer, then you could look into buying even a really cheap, low-end dedicated graphics card. I'm assuming you don't do much gaming if you only have the integrated Intel GPU atm, so the dedicated card can probably be pretty low end since Minecraft doesn't need a fast GPU, it uses more CPU.

2) You could try to install Linux as a second OS (in dual boot configuration). Intel GPUs should have actually fairly decent OpenGL drivers on Linux. That way you could at least play some Minecraft with your current hardware. Assuming it works... I have an Ivy Bridge generation Intel Core i5 (so about 4 years old: ivy bridge -> haswell -> (broadwell) -> sky lake) in my main PC (and it only has Linux on it), and at least that one runs vanilla Minecraft in a pretty solid manner. Haven't tried modded on this though, might get laggy depending on the pack.

Pre-post-edit: Looking at wikipedia it seems that the HD 520 is a mobile GPU, so the first option is then out of the window...

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Summary of my findings:
  • Opengl drivers are found but MC/forge load is really slow. Examples: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/8477ad33
    and http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/a236c548 tread dumps: https://paste.ee/p/PYVjj
  • Windows 8 and windows 10
  • Intel HD Graphics 4400 and 4600(Haswell) and HD Graphics 520(Skylake) with driver version 10.18.15.4248. (One five months old support request with similar symptoms was using 10.18.15.4235 but it is unknown if problem was same or was it caused by bad memory allocation) Also note that bug reports with Broadwells are missing! Is this caused by small amount of bug reports or does it really work?
  • I personally can't reproduce this bug with HD Graphics 2500(Ivy Bridge)
Update:
driver version: GL info: ' Vendor: 'Intel' Version: '4.2.0 - Build 10.18.10.3540' Renderer: 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600' seems to be working ok

http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/087c8312 notice timestamps in lines 6311 and 6322

Last edited: