How do I get Minecraft to use the GPU?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
M

Mr. Bunny

Title:
How do I get Minecraft to use the GPU?
Launcher Version:
v1.4.11
Modpack:
FTB Infinity Evolved
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Minecraft is only using the CPU which is really dumb, I want it to use my GTX 970, now I know this is possible on laptops using the Nvidia control panel but the option to make it use the GPU is not available on desktop for some reason, how do I force it to use the GPU?

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Minecraft by its very nature (written in java an very heavily modded) is a very CPU intensive game and your GPU really makes little to no difference.

M

Mr. Bunny

Minecraft by its very nature (written in java an very heavily modded) is a very CPU intensive game and your GPU really makes little to no difference.
Then why does the GPU work on laptops but not on desktop?

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
Then why does the GPU work on laptops but not on desktop?

you literally cant offload the entire game proccessing on the gpu, what the setting on laptops allow you to do is change where the rendering happens which for minecraft since its java based is a very small part of the equation its large enough to make the integrated intel gpu chug since it also has to handle the actually intensive calculations.

M

Mr. Bunny

you literally cant offload the entire game proccessing on the gpu, what the setting on laptops allow you to do is change where the rendering happens which for minecraft since its java based is a very small part of the equation its large enough to make the integrated intel gpu chug since it also has to handle the actually intensive calculations.
Why the hell are they still using that crappy Java then, it should be GPU based not CPU.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Why the hell are they still using that crappy Java then, it should be GPU based not CPU.
They use java as it is easier to code in then C/c++/whatever else you want them to use.
It is also not their fault that laptops put the render process on the cpu simply because it is an java program, go and complain to the makers of the laptops for that one.

Ok, lets get back to the topic.
Go to options->snooper settings and look for the value of opengl vendor.
If it is intel or something like that it still is using the cpu for its rendering if it is not, congrats you changed it. If you still got lag then more information is needed to help

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
PhysX support for Minecraft or RIOT!

M

Mr. Bunny

They use java as it is easier to code in then C/c++/whatever else you want them to use.
It is also not their fault that laptops put the render process on the cpu simply because it is an java program, go and complain to the makers of the laptops for that one.

Ok, lets get back to the topic.
Go to options->snooper settings and look for the value of opengl vendor.
If it is intel or something like that it still is using the cpu for its rendering if it is not, congrats you changed it. If you still got lag then more information is needed to help
Well easier doesn't equal better, I'd think that by now in 2015 the game would be developed properly instead of that old java crap still being used, I'd say that's just pure laziness on their part, theres absolutely no excuse for this.

It's already set to my GPU but because the game runs on CPU it ignores that. I also noticed it says 30 FPS meanwhile in game it says 100+ FPS but it feels like 30, I know for a fact it is unlocked because I specifically set it all so that the framerate is unlimited, still feels like 30.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Well easier doesn't equal better, I'd think that by now in 2015 the game would be developed properly instead of that old java crap still being used, I'd say that's just pure laziness on their part, theres absolutely no excuse for this.

It's already set to my GPU but because the game runs on CPU it ignores that. I also noticed it says 30 FPS meanwhile in game it says 100+ FPS but it feels like 30, I know for a fact it is unlocked because I specifically set it all so that the framerate is unlimited, still feels like 30.

Note that if Minecraft wasn't written in Java we wouldn't have had any mods. It is java that makes it easy to mod this game.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013

Let's think this realistically... How many hours of coding will be used to port MC into <insert modern language here> or make a new game which looks like and behaves like old game? Will new faster/better version increase sales? RoI? What will modded MC communities do after they have not game which is "easy" to mod?

Reactions: lenscas

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Let's think this realistically... How many hours of coding will be used to port MC into <insert modern language here> or make a new game which looks like and behaves like old game? Will new faster/better version increase sales? RoI? What will modded MC communities do after they have not game which is "easy" to mod?

Don't forget the fact that games like minecraft especially with the amount of mods we play with will always be heavy on the CPU compared to other games.
And lets also not forget that it isn't just the language that decides if a program runs smooth or horrible, it also depends on how good the writer of the program is with that language.
Thus remaking the program in something like C or C++ might even make it only worse, even if it would be the better language to use.

I also fear there is some misunderstanding going on in this thread especially now that it became a debate about what language minecraft should have been written in.