Possible to remove ore dictionary completely?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
I'm building a modpack and I want each type of item (e.g. copper ingot, tin ore etc) to only have one type of each ingot (i.e. in a modpack you normally have 5 copper ingots, I want to hide four from NEI, remove all recipes from them and remove their ore dictionary recipes). I know I can use minetweaker to remove individual recipes but I can't seem to use the wildcard syntax (*) when defining an oreDictionary entry as a variable. Is there any easy way to do this without entering in code to remove each entry individually?

LuisAdeur

Jul 29, 2019
you have to import nei first

import mods.nei.NEI;

then use
NEI.hide()

to remove the recipes you will have to do it manually , same for the oredic

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Strictly speaking, if you actually want to delete the ore dictioonary, you could delete the net/minecraftforge/oredict folder from Forge. Don't expect any mods to work after that though.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
I might try it, but something tells me messing with the forge .jar is a bad idea - not even sure if it's technically allowed actually, I haven't looked at forge's modification rights

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I might try it, but something tells me messing with the forge .jar is a bad idea - not even sure if it's technically allowed actually, I haven't looked at forge's modification rights
I said that jokingly. Trust me, it won't actually work.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Just out of curiosity, what would you do with the different kinds of copper then?

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
I essentially wanted to make it that there was only one type of copper - any alternatives added would be pretty much removed from the game. I'm making a modpack where all recipes are completely customised and I thought it would add confusion if the player had to deal with having 5 types of copper. Better to have any machine produce the same type of copper no matter what mod it was from. In most modpacks to do this sort of thing you'd have to rewrite most recipes, but since I'm doing that anyway in my case, I thought I may as well try to keep my recipes easy to understand without having several different items which all are used as copper. I'll probably just go through and do this manually in minetweaker, I was just checking there was no blanket way to do this

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I essentially wanted to make it that there was only one type of copper - any alternatives added would be pretty much removed from the game. I'm making a modpack where all recipes are completely customised and I thought it would add confusion if the player had to deal with having 5 types of copper. Better to have any machine produce the same type of copper no matter what mod it was from. In most modpacks to do this sort of thing you'd have to rewrite most recipes, but since I'm doing that anyway in my case, I thought I may as well try to keep my recipes easy to understand without having several different items which all are used as copper. I'll probably just go through and do this manually in minetweaker, I was just checking there was no blanket way to do this
I'm not sure that would be a good idea. If done properly, it shouldn't matter which type of copper it is because the minetweaker scripts should use the ore dictionary.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
It wouldn't matter. Minetweaker would work fine with oredictionary. But it could make things less confusing for the end player and it's easy enough to do in my case, so I don't see why not

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
It wouldn't matter. Minetweaker would work fine with oredictionary. But it could make things less confusing for the end player and it's easy enough to do in my case, so I don't see why not
Fair enough. I suppose it would be a lot simpler for newer players.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm not sure that would be a good idea. If done properly, it shouldn't matter which type of copper it is because the minetweaker scripts should use the ore dictionary.

Its annoying as hell when you smelt the ore to get copper ingot "A", then switch out to a pulveriser/smelter and get copper ingot "B", and uncrafting copper block gives copper ingot "Z", "pi" or "RTGasdoijaWAERFASS" depending on which type of copper block you started with.

Essentially this is changing all the crafting outputs to produce copper type A only.

Reactions: immibis

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Its annoying as hell when you smelt the ore to get copper ingot "A", then switch out to a pulveriser/smelter and get copper ingot "B", and uncrafting copper block gives copper ingot "Z", "pi" or "RTGasdoijaWAERFASS" depending on which type of copper block you started with.

Essentially this is changing all the crafting outputs to produce copper type A only.
I wonder if there would be a way for the player to press a button (or just do it automatically) and have all the oredict enabled materials convert to a single type. A gregtech pack i played a while ago did that.

LuisAdeur

Jul 29, 2019
i know how you feel , when i see refined iron ingot as ore:ingotSteel ....... i took IC2 out of my pack because of that.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Remove ore dictionary? I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. ore dictionary isn't a part of the problem, in fact, it is a part of the solution.

In order to do what you want you need to do 2 tings.
One: disable the ore spawning in the configs of most mods, and instead use a single mod to spawn the ores.
Personally I use Cofh world to spawn ores. It can be used to spawn ores from any mod.

Two: use MineTweaker and Modtweaker to change the recipes that have nuggets/dusts/ingots/storage-blocks as output.
This is where the ore dictionary comes in handy. Just remove the recipes that output the ore dictionaried nuggets/dusts/ingots/storage-blocks. Then add them back with your specified preferred output.

See attached file:

I created this scrip for myself, it works for my personal assembly of mods. It probably needs to be changed to work well with your setup, but it can be used as a starting point so it will save you some work.
If you change anything, please fill in you own name at line number 5 and 6 but keep line 3 and 4 intact.

Note: Don't forget you need to change the file-extension from ".txt" to ".zs"

Attachments

• Ingots.txt
    31.6 KB · Views: 107

LuisAdeur

Jul 29, 2019
Remove ore dictionary? I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. ore dictionary isn't a part of the problem, in fact, it is a part of the solution.

In order to do what you want you need to do 2 tings.
One: disable the ore spawning in the configs of most mods, and instead use a single mod to spawn the ores.
Personally I use Cofh world to spawn ores. It can be used to spawn ores from any mod.

Two: use MineTweaker and Modtweaker to change the recipes that have nuggets/dusts/ingots/storage-blocks as output.
This is where the ore dictionary comes in handy. Just remove the recipes that output the ore dictionaried nuggets/dusts/ingots/storage-blocks. Then add them back with your specified preferred output.

See attached file:

I created this scrip for myself, it works for my personal assembly of mods. It probably needs to be changed to work well with your setup, but it can be used as a starting point so it will save you some work.
If you change anything, please fill in you own name at line number 5 and 6 but keep line 3 and 4 intact.

Note: Don't forget you need to change the file-extension from ".txt" to ".zs"

yeah but what about mods that don't support the removable of recipes via mine or mod tweaker?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
yeah but what about mods that don't support the removable of recipes via mine or mod tweaker?

My main point is: Ore dictionary isn't causing the problem. Even if the solution I proposed doesn't work in your specific situation.

Though such mods are rather few. If you do have one in your pack, one possible workaround is to find out which mod's ingots that one mod is defaulting to, and then choose those ingots to be the preferred output for all the other mods as well.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Here is a mod that will help you out greatly.
It automatically converts items in the oreDictionary into the ones you specify. You want only TE copper? You set that as default, and whenever you get the "wrong" copper ingot, it changes it to the TE copper.

LuisAdeur

Jul 29, 2019
My main point is: Ore dictionary isn't causing the problem. Even if the solution I proposed doesn't work in your specific situation.

Though such mods are rather few. If you do have one in your pack, one possible workaround is to find out which mod's ingots that one mod is defaulting to, and then choose those ingots to be the preferred output for all the other mods as well.

usually i have TE ingots to be the default i don't like design of the other mods ingots. and yes your solution worked except for steel/refined iron ingot. blast furnance on IC2 gives me refined iron ingot and when i smelt the mekanism steel dust it turns into refined iron ingot or when i use the blast furnance on railcraft it turns into refined iron ingot...