tinker's construct - Draw Speed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
So, I suddenly discovered a material with an extraordinarily high Drawspeed time (40, where Signalum is only 3). Now I remembered that a high Draw Speed time had its own perk to recompensate for, but I couldn't find what it was.

Does anyone know what the countereffect is of having a very long draw speed?

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
its pretty obvious, draw speed is very important to me. The faster the draw speed is the more shots you can get in, possibly more than those with lots of damage yet long draw speed. I hope that made sense.

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
not necessarily, it depends on what materials you use. You can have a complete junk bow anyway. The trick though is to have a high speed bow + high damage. If you can find a combo like that you are pretty much invincible, considering that most mobs won't be even able to hit you b4 you kill them

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
Typically I use High damage arrows, accuracy is less important. You only need a small amount of accuracy, which i typically use slime fetching, not sure its the best though. So unless you're trying to go all robin hood go high damage, with a bit of accuracy mixed in.

EDIT: Forgot to mention most of my experience is with crossbows, while I'm sure most of my ideas will apply just fine to regular bows it's my opinion that crossbows are way better.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Oak leaf seems to be better than slime for fletching. Pink slime shaft is best. Alumite second best. Enderium tips. And definitely signalum for bow or crossbow with fire string. Signalum crossbow with bolts made from pink slime/oak leaf/enderium are capable of 99.5 hearts of damage with the right modifiers.

Last edited:

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
For what would you need the modifire. dmg.?
Not rly if you have enderium Tips and all other modifires are pretty useless on a bow if i missed nothing

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Small question; Why not Thaumium as shaft? (unlocks extra modifier)
Because a fully modified thaumium shaft is not as powerful as an unmodified pink slime shaft.

Thaumium is also heavier and modifiers cannot make up for wieght. Durability of thaumium is also lower. Basically thaumium is a lower tier material.

Edited because I wrote enderium shaft instead of pink slime.

EDIT: I started looking at thaumium bolt specs and decided to go ahead and build a bolt and use up all the modifiers. It got me to 99.5 hearts of damage coupled with the signalum crossbow with fire string. That makes thaumium a top option for bolt material. I stand corrected and thanks for the information Anhrak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anhrak

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
Baron, can you share with me what components and modifiers you are precisely using for both your bow and your bolts?

Bow:
Limb 1:
Limb 2:
(just fill in the same material if you're using the 2-sided limb)
Crossbow Body:
Tough Binder:
String:
Modification 1:
Modification 2:

Modification 3:
Modification 4:
Modification 5:
Modification 6:
(If Thaumic / Writable) Modification 7:

Bolt (yes, I hate this new system.):
Tool rod core:
Cast metal cover:
Fletching:
Modification 1:
Modification 2:

Modification 3:
Modification 4:
Modification 5:
Modification 6:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Some things I would like to point out here:

* The materials which are most useful will depend on what other mods you have installed. For example, Signalum and Enderium are only available with ExtraTiC. Pink Slime is from Minefactory Reloaded. Without these mods, these options will not be available.

* Signalum is far and away the best for bow/crossbow limbs, if available. If not, Pink Slime is superior to any 'vanilla' option. Otherwise, I'd suggest regular slime for speed.

* There is no reason to not Fiery Bowstring. Sure, you can use enchanted cloth, but it is effectively valueless because you don't need many modifiers on your Bow, and it decreases arrow speed, which cannot be effectively compensated for. Use a paper tough binding and thaumium stock on your crossbow for a total of 5 modifiers anyway.

* Crossbow Bolt weight actually aids in armor penetration, so having light bolts might assist them in traveling further, but heavy bolts will be more useful against armored opponents, particularly if you have Mekanism installed and they're wearing things like Glowstone armor. Therefore, thaumium rod is actually useful for both the modifier and the extra weight, when compared to pink slime. Arrows, on the other hand, don't have this advantage, so lighter arrows are better.

* Technically, blue slime leaf fletching has Jagged whereas plain ol' leaf fletching has Stonebound, which means the former SHOULD do more damage when the quiver is low. However, neither of these modifiers appear to impact damage output, and leaf fletching has over twice the durability, giving you far more shots per repair.

* Bolts and Arrows only start off with two modifiers, making damage stacking somewhat more difficult without a significant investment. Mind you, it is actually worth the investment now that the stack CAN be repaired instead of having to be replaced like they used to require, but it is still an investment.

* Damage modifiers got nerfed hardcore, they're almost not worth bothering with anymore. So if you are going to use modifiers, use ones that carry utility. For example, knockback to keep opponents back. Remember in the original Diablo, how a bow with the 'Bear' prefix was so godlike because opponents never got to you? Yea, it's kinda like that. Go ahead and toss Fortune on it as well for extra drops.

My new crossbow looks something like this:

Signalum crossbow limb, fiery bowstring, paper tough binding, thaumium stock. Dishes out the damage, and rate of fire has already been maxed out with no modifiers. From there, just toss on Fluxed, and you are good to go. It's just a shame that Fluxed won't affix to ammo.

To answer the question in the OP: there is no advantage to high draw speed, however it is typically paired with a high arrow speed, which is what you are looking for. With ExtraTiC, however, you don't need to make that sacrifice.

Reactions: RedBoss

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
Ehm, Fortune only works when you are attacking them from a physical crossbow attack, not when shooting bolts ;).

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I can tell there is zero advantage to modifiers on a crossbow.

There is absolutely a very big advantage to draw speed. A signalum crossbow will already have .25 second draw speed, that's max speed. Draw speed is how fast you can fire. So .25 draw speed means 4x per second.

Arrow/bolt speed is way more important than wieght. If I'm dealing 99.5 hearts of damage at 4x a second, anything wearing armor is dead 10x over from one hit lol.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
U
Baron, can you share with me what components and modifiers you are precisely using for both your bow and your bolts?

Bow:
Limb 1:
Limb 2:
(just fill in the same material if you're using the 2-sided limb)
Crossbow Body:
Tough Binder:
String:
Modification 1:
Modification 2:
Modification 3:
Modification 4:
Modification 5:
Modification 6:

Bolt (yes, I hate this new system.):
Tool rod core:
Cast metal cover:
Fletching:
Modification 1:
Modification 2:
Modification 3:
Modification 4:
Modification 5:
Modification 6:

I'm not filling all that in. Signalum crossbow (limbs and body with obsidian binding) and fire string. No modifiers. One of either material for rod depending on what I have alumite/pink slime/and now thaumium. Enderium tip. Oak leaf fletch. As many Quartz modifiers as I can afford on bolts. That's it, no other modifiers, unless you count modifiers that give you more modifiers.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As far as I can tell there is zero advantage to modifiers on a crossbow.

There is absolutely a very big advantage to draw speed. A signalum crossbow will already have .25 second draw speed, that's max speed. Draw speed is how fast you can fire. So .25 draw speed means 4x per second.

Arrow/bolt speed is way more important than wieght. If I'm dealing 99.5 hearts of damage at 4x a second, anything wearing armor is dead 10x over from one hit lol.
There is one modifier worth having on a crossbow: Fluxed. That way you don't have to go around repairing it. Alternately, Mossy. Same reason.

Bolt Speed is valueless because it doesn't really affect anything. So you might as well get the heaviest bolt around. Also, without ExtraTiC, there's only a couple of things you can make the rods out of. It won't let you pour enderium on top of a slime rod, for example, to make a crossbow bolt.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
There is one modifier worth having on a crossbow: Fluxed. That way you don't have to go around repairing it. Alternately, Mossy. Same reason.

Bolt Speed is valueless because it doesn't really affect anything. So you might as well get the heaviest bolt around. Also, without ExtraTiC, there's only a couple of things you can make the rods out of. It won't let you pour enderium on top of a slime rod, for example, to make a crossbow bolt.

I disagree, I find value in it, everyone on my server finds value in it, and apparently a lot of others, including the mod maker. Draw speed has a very very big value, as I've already explained. Follow up shots. Weight actually has no value. It won't give you any more damage than I can get with a faster draw speed, and I can fire more bolts. If you can show me a combination using a heavier bolt with more than 99.5 hearts of damage, I'll concede the argument. Otherwise, I'll be sending twice as many bolts downrange in the same amount of time. This becomes important when fighting the most powerful boss ever, the chaos dragon. There is literally no advantage to a heavier bolt, and a huge disadvantage. The fact that certain aspects are not available without TiCo is irrelevant since most of the big modpacks have it.

Reactions: Master_Builder_800

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I disagree, I find value in it, everyone on my server finds value in it, and apparently a lot of others, including the mod maker. Draw speed has a very very big value, as I've already explained. Follow up shots. Weight actually has no value. It won't give you any more damage than I can get with a faster draw speed, and I can fire more bolts. If you can show me a combination using a heavier bolt with more than 99.5 hearts of damage, I'll concede the argument. Otherwise, I'll be sending twice as many bolts downrange in the same amount of time. This becomes important when fighting the most powerful boss ever, the chaos dragon. There is literally no advantage to a heavier bolt, and a huge disadvantage. The fact that certain aspects are not available without TiCo is irrelevant since most of the big modpacks have it.
You are confusing draw speed with flight speed. Two totally different things. Draw speed is good. This is your RoF. Arrow/bolt weight has ZERO to do with this score. Weight increases armor penetration at the cost of flight speed. Flight speed is valueless, armor penetration is not. Ergo, heavier bolts are better.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
You are confusing draw speed with flight speed. Two totally different things. Draw speed is good. This is your RoF. Arrow/bolt weight has ZERO to do with this score. Weight increases armor penetration at the cost of flight speed. Flight speed is valueless, armor penetration is not. Ergo, heavier bolts are better.

With 99.5 hearts of damage, armor piercing is irrelevant. It's a one shot kill on anything below a ender dragon/wither etc. Also, I'm not confusing anything, I clearly stated draw speed has to do with follow up shots. This translates to more shots per second. Also, flight speed translates to flatter shooting/less holdover. Ergo, lighter bolts that fly faster, flatter and do 99.5 hearts damage are way better.

Edit: I forgot that faster flight speed means less time to target, which translates to less "leading" of the target required. This is very important when engaging dragons.

Last edited: