If you could play on a server with just one mod

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, the direwolf20 server I am playing on - and admin for - is being decommissioned, so I was looking around for a replacement fix.

And I noticed the majoriy of the major modded servers are running modpacks with 100-200 mods - such as Infinity or Direwolf20. Modpacks with a lot of mods, and while definitions of balance may vary, modpacks that discourage deep investigation of single mods in isolation.

And I wondered for a moment, If I was to join a server that didn't ask me to install a modpack, but just one mod - a server offering a true vanilla+once experience - what that one mod might be.

For me, I considered Thaumcraft, Blood Magic and Twilight Forest, but settled on Witchery as the mod I'd most like to add to an otherwise vanilla server - with Zelda Sword Skills a close 2nd contender.
--
But It would have to be Thaumcraft too. Because I live and breathe that mod. And Chisel. Because I can't do a build without thinking it would look a lot better with factory and laboratory blocks. And ZTones. Because those blocks look bloody gorgeous too.

So
Thaumitcheryiseltone would be the ONE, single, unitary mod I'd install alongside vanilla. Definately just that one.

Last edited:

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
You'll end up with just Forge...

Joke aside, my current pack is only with Botania/EnderIO/Thaumcraft/Blood Magic and bunch of other addons, without Tinker's Construct is the real pain in the a**.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Actually... I just thought... NEI

Client side, and Server side mods are not restricted in this scenario as, in my imagined scenario, the single mod restriction is to create a trivially easy to install mod"pack".

I would, on the server, install one or more of recurrent structures, ruins, roguelike dungeons, ATG (in its server only mode) and definately ForgeEssentials / MyTown for some basic grief protection and management.

On the client I would expect competent users to have NEI / CraftGuide (their choice), Journeymap / Antique Atlas (their choice) and any other client side mods they feel could help.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Client side, and Server side mods are not restricted in this scenario as, in my imagined scenario, the single mod restriction is to create a trivially easy to install mod"pack".

I would, on the server, install one or more of recurrent structures, ruins, roguelike dungeons, ATG (in its server only mode) and definately ForgeEssentials / MyTown for some basic grief protection and management.

On the client I would expect competent users to have NEI / CraftGuide (their choice), Journeymap / Antique Atlas (their choice) and any other client side mods they feel could help.
NEi is serverside too though...