Advanced Translocator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
So far this thing is more trouble than its worth, and Im hoping that is due to my own ignorance.

1. It isnt working with relays
2. It needs to be powered
3. It doesnt connect to pneumatic tubes
4. ????
5. bankruptcy!

I like the idea of these as a tool to select input side of the machine you're outputting to, but it seems like this has too many drawbacks for a simple utility. What is the correct way to use these?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That is very cryptic.

Put the lime in the coconuts... Now what?

Sorry, I have no idea how the Advanced Translocator works. I never really got too into the advanced RP2 machines top end GregTech machines. Good luck!

Last edited by Whovian on Monday, February 25, 2013 (02/25/2013) at 16:56:44 PST.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
Translocators don't lag (unlike Relays), and they can deal with a much larger stream of items than anything redpower/buildcraft.
I haven't used any of the advanced ones yet, but I have plenty of Electric Translocators and Electric Sorters in my Gregtech ore processing setup.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

Sorry, I have no idea how the Advanced Translocator works. I never really got too into the advanced RP2 machines. Good luck!

Ah, it's actually Gregtech.

So far this thing is more trouble than its worth, and Im hoping that is due to my own ignorance.

1. It isnt working with relays

Doesn't surprise me, only RP works well with RP. ;)

2. It needs to be powered

Though it uses up an infinitesimal amount of EU.

3. It doesnt connect to pneumatic tubes

Again, it's not RP.

Now, I'm not here to argue about whether or not not working with RP2 is convenient, but it's pretty much unavoidable.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019

Sorry, I have no idea how the Advanced Translocator works. I never really got too into the advanced RP2 machines. Good luck!

Lol. Its a gregtech block, suppose to work like sneakypipes, i.e. some blocks require items to be incerted from certain sides, this block/sneaky pipes allow you to set any side and change the input vie the UI, but seems to be too incompatible with other mods currently.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Ah! Well, I haven't really touched the top end GregTech stuff, either, heh.

Lol. Its a gregtech block, suppose to work like sneakypipes, i.e. some blocks require items to be incerted from certain sides, this block/sneaky pipes allow you to set any side and change the input vie the UI, but seems to be too incompatible with other mods currently.
Yup, Whovian alerted me to as much. Updated my post, heheh. Logistics Pipes work in a similar way, and are fairly compatible I've found.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
ok here's a more descriptive explanation:
1. Relay.. It works well. Did you put your relay at the red side of the translocator?
2. For the power, just use advanced solar panel :D.
3. All GT automation box only output items to something that have inventory slot, so not to any pipe (including bc pipe and pneumatic pipe).
4. ????
5. ...

The main purpose of using it is actually to save space for a more compact design, but sometimes it fails because the damn thing can only transfer item in a straight line (you can always use the better box like inventory manager but it's expensive) and the eu cable to power it is annoying.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Translocators don't lag (unlike Relays), and they can deal with a much larger stream of items than anything redpower/buildcraft.
I haven't used any of the advanced ones yet, but I have plenty of Electric Translocators and Electric Sorters in my Gregtech ore processing setup.

Hmm, relays haven't been lagging for me. Not sure how many I need for that to stary but I have around 30 in close proximity. What lags me mainly is my electric engine room and the damn cursed barrels.

Doesn't surprise me, only RP works well with RP. ;)
Though it uses up an infinitesimal amount of EU.
Again, it's not RP.
Now, I'm not here to argue about whether or not not working with RP2 is convenient, but it's pretty much unavoidable.

RP works with many other non-RP devices, pneumatic and esp the relays. Infact the relays are a huge help being a buffer and letting me plug items into machine that refuse to take the tubes. Plus GT is suppose to be about making mods come closer together and compatable, this block however doesnt do that.

It doesnt matter how much energy the block needs, its the fact that it needs any at all in additional to not being compatible with the tubes. That means id have to fully redo a whole processing line to be more complex just to incorporate these when the whole point of these was to make the setup more simple.[DOUBLEPOST=1361840632][/DOUBLEPOST]
ok here's a more descriptive explanation explanation:
The main purpose of using it is actually to save space for a more compact design, but sometimes it fails because the damn thing can only transfer item in a straight line (you can always use the better box like inventory manager but it's expensive) and the eu cable to power it is annoying.

Yeah the whole point was for more compact design, but in the end I cant find a way to make the design more compact with these (just the opposite due to how it works...or doesnt work). It seems im better off just slapping tube under the centrifuge

Ah! Well, I haven't really touched the top end GregTech stuff, either, heh.

Yup, Whovian alerted me to as much. Updated my post, heheh. Logistics Pipes work in a similar way, and are fairly compatible I've found.

Yeah been looking at those pipes and also http://ae-mod.info/Videos/

Wondering if anyone has a processing line that uses the advanced translocators I could look at

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
The main purpose of using it is actually to save space for a more compact design, but sometimes it fails because of the eu cable.

Note that the Advanced Translocator output 32EU/t power on the sides connected to other machines. This actually simplifies power designs, because the target machines don't need their own cables. Electric Buffers as well, which are like Relays, but don't lag.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
here is an image of what im looking at

prXr681.png

now under those electrolyzers you insert the empty cells. Right now I have pneumatic tubes feeding it from an enderchest. I wanted to get rid of that, and put a translocator up top and replace the relays. However it seems I cant flag items for certain slots via one machine. Then I realized i cant plug my tubes into these anyway, and that will fuck up even distribution (distribution pipe logic sucks btw pneumatic tubes do it perfectly) These are also getting power from under them. The fibre is going between each machine. In this image they are nicely hidden away with construction foam.

What it seems I need is a cross between the sorter block and the translocator block. Then i can flag each item with a color, and depending on the color the item will be inserted into a certain side of the machine it is facing. [DOUBLEPOST=1361841478][/DOUBLEPOST]
Note that the Advanced Translocator output 32EU/t power on the sides connected to other machines. This actually simplifies power designs, because the target machines don't need their own cables. Electric Buffers as well, which are like Relays, but don't lag.
I know, and its good to have, but without the benefit of them working how I want them to all they are are expensive fiber cables.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
You are trying to connect two independent transport systems. This never works without something inbetween (chest, relay, ...). Don't think of the translocator as a machine, it behaves much more like a pipe. Most importantly it doesn't have an inventory, so you will not be able to pipe items into it directly. What you probably want is an advanced buffer, which has an inventory and can specify which side it inserts things into. If you want to handle more than one item per machine, try the advanced regulator (still from GT).

Reactions: Whovian

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
You are trying to connect two independent transport systems. This never works without something inbetween (chest, relay, ...). Don't think of the translocator as a machine, it behaves much more like a pipe. Most importantly it doesn't have an inventory, so you will not be able to pipe items into it directly. What you probably want is an advanced buffer, which has an inventory and can specify which side it inserts things into. If you want to handle more than one item per machine, try the advanced regulator (still from GT).

Put an advanced regulator between your relay and electrolyzer.

So many advanced machines! Thanks dudes Ill mess around with them.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Well, advanced regulater is alright. However, unless im wrong, it is limited in the amount of different items that can go though it. 9 slots and one of those is for cells. So i have 8 slots left. Seems like this is way overcomplicated and it could have been done by color flagging certain items to go in certain slots, and everything else to go into a default slot. Maybe it does work that way and I missed something? Theres like no documentation. Just:herezaboxlulz

edit: not to mention the blocks buffer could easilly get clogged up with dusts and not have an open slot for cells stopping the entire process. :confused:

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is actually planned to be used with nuclear reactor, hence the 9 slots. And yeah clogging is a big problem with advanced regulator. You should have also posted this in the GT thread for solution and explanation lol

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Well, advanced regulater is alright. However, unless im wrong, it is limited in the amount of different items that can go though it. 9 slots and one of those is for cells. So i have 8 slots left. Seems like this is way overcomplicated and it could have been done by color flagging certain items to go in certain slots, and everything else to go into a default slot. Maybe it does work that way and I missed something? Theres like no documentation. Just:herezaboxlulz

edit: not to mention the blocks buffer could easilly get clogged up with dusts and not have an open slot for cells stopping the entire process. :confused:
The colors are given by Redpower, and can only be read by Redpower machines. I think you are vastly overestimating the cross-mod compatibility in the packs. Really, other than "put stuff into an inventory and have the other system pull it out", there is very little or any possible connection between the individual automation systems.

The easiest solution for your setup I can see is use the colors, and just connect a tube with cells to the bottom, and a tube with items to be processed to the top of the machine. What is the problem with this?

If the bottom of the machine is for some reason blocked, I'd use an advanced buffer, or an advanced translocator + a chest from the side, set to input items to the bottom. Feed the cells into the buffer (or the chest), and feed items to be processed from the top, as it is right now.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The colors are given by Redpower, and can only be read by Redpower machines. I think you are vastly overestimating the cross-mod compatibility in the packs. Really, other than "put stuff into an inventory and have the other system pull it out", there is very little or any possible connection between the individual automation systems.

The easiest solution for your setup I can see is use the colors, and just connect a tube with cells to the bottom, and a tube with items to be processed to the top of the machine. What is the problem with this?

If the bottom of the machine is for some reason blocked, I'd use an advanced buffer, or an advanced translocator + a chest from the side, set to input items to the bottom. Feed the cells into the buffer (or the chest), and feed items to be processed from the top, as it is right now.

The bottom of the machines are not blocked, I have relays pumping in cells from there currently. Using a chest from the side, im not really sure what you mean. Right now the row of 8 elecrolyzers are fed cells in an even manner from an enderchest. if Im replacing the relays with another machine, it all comes to the same issue of complexity just slightly moved around and with a different machine. basically Im trying to reduce the amount of blocks while keeping it functional. I mean, it works fine as is now, but its always fun to see if it can be done better/useless space for the same thing.

Yes, I probably am overestimating. I hoped id have a better method though as it really only is putting items into inventories nothing really more complex than that, and from other machines its clear that the cross-mod capability of selecting input sides regardless of physical location is present, just not in the way that seems to work well for what I was thinking. I originally thought about flagging items with colors and piping them and I may come back to that again, but it might be dirty as id have to pipe down the side of the machine to get to its underside to input pipes. So it might end up being even more a mess.

The thing is actually planned to be used with nuclear reactor, hence the 9 slots. And yeah clogging is a big problem with advanced regulator. You should have also posted this in the GT thread for solution and explanation lol
Yeah seems Im not using it for what it was meant for.