Forestry 2.0-why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
With no renewable fertilizer what reasons are you using forestry 2.0 farms for? Wouldn't it be easier to set up a Steve cart farm for instance for things like wheat to ensure you have a 100% renewable supply without havin to worry about mining appetite? Obviously there are some forestry specific plants and trees that you'd use forestry 2.0 for, but what reasons do you find yourself using them for over other methods for vanilla type items?

Is the new block design less efficient than the old peat big for peat farms?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
With no renewable fertilizer

You might want to nose around more. Nearly every use for fertilizer can be replaced. And the new machines cost a lot, but are more flexible and also evidently have higher production.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
So compost or mulch can replace the fertilizer slot? That's the kind of reasons I'm lookin for if so...hehe

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Forestry farms largely because I don't even run Steve's Carts at all. It combines aggravating recipes with poor UI design and an utter lack of game balance consideration. One of my least favorite mods ever, to be honest.

Another thing I am liking the new farms for is the fact that they can do 4 things at once. The old farms usually had way too much output for my needs, unless you dedicated them to fuel production. But running a tree farm just to have wood for building? That thing produced about 10 stacks in the time it took me to consume one stack. Same for food. But, with the new farm, I can stuff all my basic needs into quarters of a single farm and still get enough of everything with far less effort and space required. My only gripe is that you can't put an IC2 rubber farm together with managed farms... but then again, I might just let it chop the rubber trees and extract the logs for rubber.

Also, with every single vein of apatite giving you 20-30 full stacks of fertilizer, without fortune or silk touch or using the double output ash recipe, I think you're going to be hard pressed to ever run out of that stuff.

Reactions: tyler f

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
With no renewable fertilizer what reasons are you using forestry 2.0 farms for? Wouldn't it be easier to set up a Steve cart farm for instance for things like wheat to ensure you have a 100% renewable supply without havin to worry about mining appetite? Obviously there are some forestry specific plants and trees that you'd use forestry 2.0 for, but what reasons do you find yourself using them for over other methods for vanilla type items?

Is the new block design less efficient than the old peat big for peat farms?

I'm curious about how much wheat do you actually use. I mean you can spend a couple of stacks for aminal breeding to get the tier 5 soul shard, but other than that there are not that many uses. I get it that it's hard to run a multifarm on a server 24/7, because once in few days or so you have to go mine a whole apatite vein... but what are you doing with all that wheat?

Personally I have a single manual multifarm with a 1/4 rubber and 3/4 melons for seed oil. I get way more materials out of it than I could ever use just by giving in 8 stacks of fertilizer once in a while.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking in the case of a liquid boiler powered by biomass where I use wheat to produce mulch for the biofuel process. If I use a forestry farm and ran out of fertilizer my wheat would stop and eventually my biofuel and then my boiler goes out, using a Steve cart farm would seem to be a more hands free process to ensure an always maint free wheat supply for power

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking in the case of a liquid boiler powered by biomass where I use wheat to produce mulch for the biofuel process. If I use a forestry farm and ran out of fertilizer my wheat would stop and eventually my biofuel and then my boiler goes out, using a Steve cart farm would seem to be a more hands free process to ensure an always maint free wheat supply for power

That makes sense, thx for the explanation. So multifarms are clearly not for you. It's nice that you still have at least 3 options (carts, golems, turtles).

People think of the forestry 2.0 farms like they were meant to be a better or more efficient in farming. That is not true, they are meant to be less powerful than the old forestry farms.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried really hard to find a use for them, but I simply don't need them at all at the moment. I guess I'll throw a stack and half of copper away into them for a Nether Wart farm simply because it looks pretty, even though I could disassemble this SC farming cart instead.
Maybe I could try a gourd farm for seeds in the future in case I don't find golems with a XR lilypad taking care of wheat good enough. I could also try a rubber tree farm, I suppose.

...but still, what's up with that cost. Two copper ingots per block is a bit too much.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
Can golems or Steve cart do nether warts?

I think the design of forestry 2.0 stuff is very cool and neat. I suppose if it was more of an ssp scenario that fertilizer would definitely last a long time, but it's still something extra that other methods don't require including vanilla. Are the forestry only items something that can only be produced in a farm? From what I understood all you needed for tree breeding for instance is bees next to your trees.

I think I will try one of these farms out just so I hve the experience an knowledge but I'm
Not sure it's something I can use in my automated systems but probably the only real option for rubber tree farming now besides turtles and the old farms?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking in the case of a liquid boiler powered by biomass where I use wheat to produce mulch for the biofuel process.

The way you keep up with production is by using wheat and squeezing apples. The by product of squeezing apples is juice and mulch. Just make sure that your system doesn't back up on juice. You could use apple juice in your fermenter for truly epic output, but I've never seen a tree farm big enough to actually keep up with the demands of a fermenter. It's easier to just use water.

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts can do Netherwart, there is a module upgrade that you can add to allow it to process it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The way you keep up with production is by using wheat and squeezing apples. The by product of squeezing apples is juice and mulch. Just make sure that your system doesn't back up on juice. You could use apple juice in your fermenter for truly epic output, but I've never seen a tree farm big enough to actually keep up with the demands of a fermenter. It's easier to just use water.
Many people use systems that do both.

Same for me, it's why I said that "4 stills are usually enough, but not always".

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

well. you can have an orchard now, a farm especially for growing apples. the best part is that it don't cut the trees down. it will just harvest tonnes and tonnes of apples for you.
Since apatite is a required fuel for the farms, it behooves one to maximize the output per unit of apatite by actually employing such methods.[DOUBLEPOST=1361834550][/DOUBLEPOST]
That makes sense, thx for the explanation. So multifarms are clearly not for you. It's nice that you still have at least 3 options (carts, golems, turtles).

People think of the forestry 2.0 farms like they were meant to be a better or more efficient in farming. That is not true, they are meant to be less powerful than the old forestry farms.

You actually missed an option. you can use a redpower frame machine to harvest trees. the hard part is detecting when to harvest.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

They still seem incredibly powerful to me. And making them multi-block structures actually made them easier to automate. SC2 requires less initial resource investment, but I think the forestry blocks actually make better use of space with the larger farms.